“Over priced!”
Review of SeaSalt Restaurant

SeaSalt Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
SeaSalt Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 137 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Madison Ave.
Description: SeaSalt offers a true seafood fine dining experience featuring fresh indigenous ingredients paired with specialty cocktails and wines in an unforgettable beach chic setting.
“Over priced!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for breakfast at this restaurant with an ocean view and open patio. We were disappointed in the small selection of breakfast items that were grossly overpriced. The food was decent, and the waitress was a lovely polite young lady. We paid over $40.00 for our two meals. We will not return here.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank jlizsmith

Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Power outage didn't dim our evening”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had been curious to try the new SeaSalt Restaurant in the Ocean Club Hotel since it opened over a year ago, but we tend to be in Cape May in the off-season when the restaurant, like many others, is closed. From the street, it looks very sleek and modern in a tasteful way. In our view, the new venue provides an interesting contrast to the rest of Victorian Cape May, which we also love.

We finally had the opportunity to dine at SeaSalt last weekend and thought the trendy decor and lighting in the bar and dining areas was even better than expected, as previously we had only peered in through the window of a closed restaurant in the off-season. We had a cocktail at the bar before heading to our table and placing our order with Shaun (Sean?), who was friendly in a gruff kind of way.

Not long after placing our order, the power went out in Cape May (not just in SeaSalt) and the very pleasant hostess/manager went into what seemed to be well practiced Plan B mode, distributing extra candles to all tables and ensuring that diners were still feeling comfortable. She assured us the power outage wouldn't affect our dinner, as the chef cooks with gas, which was still on. We did have to re-order our food, with the order written down on old-fashioned pad and paper, because the computer system was down. No matter. We re-ordered and settled in for an extra-romantic candlelit dinner.

With no discernible delay from the power outage, our pre-starter of a shared plate of 6 raw clams arrived. These were as fresh and briny from the sea as they should be. These were soon followed by our two appetizers. My husband's crab cakes were artfully arranged in a line of 5 crunchy, crabby balls, each nestled on a dollop of a homemade tartar sauce on a long rectangular plate. They tasted even better than they looked. My fried calamari had a light crispy batter and a similar dipping sauce to the crab cakes.

For our main courses, my husband ordered the beer-braised lamb, which was fork tender and delectable. It did need a sprinkle or two of salt, but with that addition was perfect. I had the swordfish with puttanesca sauce, which was fresh and tasty but maybe would've benefitted from some more capers and herbs in the sauce to add some depth. The only disappointment of the evening came in the form of an English pea and Parmesan risotto, which we ordered as a side dish. It was bland and lacked the sharp saltiness of any noticeable amount of Parmesan. It tasted mainly like rice with overcooked peas, and I would have been disappointed if we'd ordered this as a main course.

The staff was very attentive at all times, especially the hostess and manager (not sure what their positions were exactly). We were offered free desserts due to the "inconvenience" of the power outage, which in truth was no inconvenience at all. My husband went for his standby of chocolate ice cream, despite many more interesting choices being available on the menu, but he couldn't be persuaded to deviate from the norm! I went for the ginger creme brûlée, which was outstanding: crunchy caramelised sugar on top, with creamy gingery perfection underneath and a couple of just-baked gingersnap cookies on the side. I wanted to devour the whole thing but forced myself to leave half of it -- an exercise in willpower.

All in all, a great first experience at SeaSalt, and we look forward to trying it again when we're back next summer. I'm sure it must be stunning to sit at one of the outdoor tables overlooking the beach and ocean.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Loraine1723
Columbus,NJ
“Warm and inviting staff, eclectic menue that reveals the chefs creativity combined with a fabulously Miami chic atmosphere...”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding reception at this restaurant and stayed at the hotel (The Ocean Club). The owners and staff went above and beyond to make our evening and stay perfect. With the help of Chef Lou, Nick and the rest of the support staff we were able to truly create the wedding we had envisioned.

I have been vacationing in Cape May my whole life and always dreamed of a Cape May wedding. We talked to many restaurant/hotels in Cape May while deciding on where to have our reception and our guests stay. We were not at all impressed!! In fact most of the reception venues made us feel like they were doing us a favor by returning our phones calls! In addition to less than a gracious response, most of the older venues were completely "cookie-cutter". Not able to work with the individual client to create a unique experience.

When we spoke to the planners at the Ocean Club and SeaSalt it was the polar opposite! They were 100% professional while remaining gracious and helpful. Every call was returned, every question was answered and every request that could be accommodated, was fulfilled. I felt so clam on my wedding day because I was deallng with professionals who were cognitive of the fact myself and all of guests were there to celebrate our perfect day.

There is nothing "cookie-cutter" about SeaSalt and the Ocean Club. It is truly the combination of gracious,inviting and accommodating with Miami Chic gourmet!

It has been been 2 years (Oct. 8th) since our wedding day and our guests never miss an opportunity to tells us that our wedding was the best wedding they had ever attended! From the incredible food, to fun staff that never left a glass empty! My guests were actually at a party more so a traditional wedding reception!

Recently my husband and I had dinner at SeaSalt and mentioned to our waiter that we had wedding reception there. They remembered us and we were gracioulsy greeted by the owners. They treated us like family!! Chef Lou's gourmet palette and local flare came through abundantly throughout the evening with our exceptional meal. The corn crab soup ( made of course from jersey sweet corn) was so amazing , I came home and tried to duplicate it (I'm no Chef Lou;).

If you are looking for an excellent dining experience, a chic and fun atmosphere with a warm, accommodating staff, come to SeaSalt and the Ocean Club Hotel!!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Katetravels67
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
“Very good food”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were here for breakfast and it was just great. We sat indoors by the large open windows so the sea breeze flowed in. The eggs benedict was very good as was the baked eggs dish. Prompt service, nice modern atmosphere. We also did take out for lunch and enjoyed our fish tacos, quesadillas, sliders and wraps. I would return.

• Visited September 2013
Newton, NJ
“Comfortable Upscale Restaurant”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had breakfast and dinner twice at SeaSalt. Breakfast options were good but portions were small and a little on the expensive side. Dinner on the other hand was beyond expectations! The Chef's innovative way of preparing and presenting the meal was spot on! We suggest the Beer Braised Lamb and the Veal Chop. Save room for dessert too!

Visited September 2013