“Perfect for the Non-B&B Crowd”
Review of Ocean Club Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ocean Club Hotel
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersSilver level
Haddon Heights, New Jersey
“Perfect for the Non-B&B Crowd”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I love Cape May, New Jersey and we tried to get into the whole Bed & Breakfast scene that it is known for, but it's are just not for us. We like actual hotels. So after trying a couple of hotels, The Ocean Club is now our favorite.

Every room has an ocean view for starters, and the hotel itself has truly been renovated to a four-star hotel's standards. It's no exaggeration. The beds were modeled off of Westin's Heavenly bedding; it was like sleeping on a cloud. The showers/bathroom were updated to reflect the same (Westin type of theme). The room, furniture and decor were all new, which was a nice suprise.

Like another poster, the only downside was the HVAC; the air conditioner/heating system banged every time it turned on and off, which kept me up all night. It worked, but that bang must go.

I felt that the rate was definitely pricey for staying there off season, but I don't regret shelling out almost $300.00 for one night, for a much neded romantic Saturday evening. Mind you this was mid-October??? I can't imagine what in-season must be, rate wise.

Nontheless, this hotel is extremely clean, classy and completely renovated. If it's in your budget, I highly recommend staying there.

1 Thank ShoreThing0912

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 25, 2013

So, the furnishings were okay, made to look upscale, but not really upscale. Looks like they remodeled the whole hotel that used to be the Atlas Hotel. Honestly, the room was not bad, but the shower/tub was stained from years of ground in dirt. It was clean, just didn't look it. The a/c unit in the bedroom only, was operated by a "sophisticated" system that made it impossible to keep the room cool when you weren't in it. So, the room would heat up while you were out. Great for the hotel owners electric bill, but not for guests that want to return to a cool room. The bed frame was noisy, so getting up in the middle of the night would wake my husband. There was an elevator which was very helpful. I love that they put me close to the elevator. We were there during a wedding reception, but luckily they ended shortly after we went to bed so we weren't bothered for too long. The a/c unit made a loud clunk noise every time it turned on or off, so sleeping was difficult. We stayed two nights, so I bought ear plugs the second night, and it worked out okay. I like that the suite we were in had a separate kitchenette. I could be persuaded to stay here again if the price was right.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar/restaurant.
Green Features: I like to help the environment as much as the next person, but I don't like to sleep warm!
Mechanicsburg, PA
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Amazing hotel room and location. My husband and I wanted a quiet, romantic getaway. We reserved a King room w. soaking tub on the 4th floor and it was absolutely amazing. We had a full view of the ocean. a big screen tv. The bathroom is over the top with a huge, tile shower and toilet with heated seats. I'm really particular about hotel room cleanliness and this was so clean. We chose to go in the off season so that we could have peace and quiet and we got it! We stayed Oct 23 & 24 (Wed, Thurs.). We had breakfast at Uncle Bill's (outstanding!) and had our choice of pizza shops and a few restaurants for lunch/dinner. If you want a nice restaurant for dinner then you should come over the weekend, in the off season during the week a lot of places are closed. The town of Cape May is absolutely charming. You cant leave without checking out the lighthouse. My only complaint is that when the air would come on throughout the night I would wake with a jolt. It's loud and right next to the bed.

Room Tip: The 4th floor is the best view and away from the foot and car traffic.
1 Thank Mary M
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed in 2 places in Cape May this past summer and Ocean Club was by far the better. While it is expensive, the location, service, view and amenities are top notch. Our room had 2 beds and a pull out couch, a large balcony and a kitchenette with a refrigerator. My wife and I both used the fitness center. Most of the staff were young men and women from Europe working in the US for the summer and did their best to be accomodating. The restaurant on the property was very good. I would return to the Ocean Club.

Room Tip: Get ocean view if you can!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Ocean Club Hotel in October and enjoyed our stay very much. The short version is this…it’s a nice room but pricey- it was clean- with an amazing view - easy parking-- low water pressure in shower –a bed that was just ok --expensive restaurant on site- and unremarkable staff.
Here’s the detailed version for those of you that are interested.
It was Columbus Day weekend- we stayed Saturday and Sunday. The ocean front hotel was pricey- more than we usually pay for our accommodations; however, we decided to splurge this time around. Not sure if it was worth the 300.00 a night price tag for off season- but the view and being able to hear the ocean at night was extraordinary. The hotel was very busy for the off season-but it never felt “crowded” or loud. The parking lot was full until Sunday when it seemed many guests checked out. It rained all weekend and we were thankful for the comfortable room with a great view. We were on the 6th floor (kid free zone!) and rarely heard anyone even though we had people staying on the same floor as us. The elevator also didn’t bother us…I mean sure it took a few minutes (maybe 2 minutes was our longest wait) and it’s small—but it’s an old beach hotel- They can’t fix everything right away.

Check in was easy. The girl at the front desk was polite but not especially warm and welcoming. She didn't share info about the area or the hotel even though it was our first stay but she did tell us the restaurant was open for lunch. Don’t expect southern hospitality- she did her job without the fluff- she wasn't rude at all just, like we said not especially helpful.

The back of the hotel is where you park and enter. The ramp is small and there is no “pull up” to drop your bags off when checking in- I bet they will change those things soon. It was a bit annoying to have to wrap around the ramp every time we were coming and going- and the door isn't automatic so holding the door with your bags and scope is kinda difficult but again- it’s an old- remodeled hotel- it definitely isn't a deal breaker.

The hallways sure- are a little worn but should I say again- it’s a beach hotel- there is a lot of weather to deal with- We thought they were fine and liked that the glass was on the back to keep the rain out!

The ROOMS: were clean and modern- I would NOT call them dark and dingy at all. They were neutral and sophisticated. We had a king room “suite” with a separate living area. Both the bedroom and the living area had nice size flat screen TVs that accommodated our ROKU. There is an ipod docking player next to the bed- our ipod didn’t fit…(it’s an old model) There is a small fridge hidden inside the TV stand in the living room and a coffee maker on the desk. The living area had a chair a desk and a sofa a coffe table and another side table. Our only complaint about the rooms were we felt the coffee table took up too much room in the living area- we had to keep navigating around to be sure not to crash into it. It’s pretty- oh- and it’s glass- I am always afraid of glass tables. But other than that the room was fine.

The BED- was not uncomfortable but I wouldn't call it comfortable either. It is a major pillow top mattress which is great for a moment but not so nice for sleeping- at least for me- it makes my back hurt. The pillows were also too full for my liking– I like a small thin pillow for my stomach and side sleeping self- but I should just bring my own pillow next time.

EXCEPTION- the down pillows seemed very comfortable- but I’m allergic to down and the hotel – quickly and easily provided a down alternative to the comforter and pillows. THANK YOU OCEAN CLUB!

The bathroom was small but totally functional. Sure, it would be nice to have a second sink somewhere- but you don’t NEED that- the shower had a shelf for your soap and shampoo- again- THANK YOU! I hate when hotels don’t have that- Don’t you? The water pressure was very low- I understand that hotels need to conserve water- and appreciate it- but if you have a low flow shower then perhaps a different shower head would be helpful because it takes FOREVER to get the sand and shampoo out of your hair with that low water pressure.

The lights from the pool area shine BRIGHTLY all night and that light goes directly into your room at least if you are in room 607. I wonder if there's a way to DIM the lights after a certain time?

The balcony door was difficult to close completely- don't hard to slide --just in order to lock the door we had to slam it- sorry other guests. We had an issue with our thermostat- it kept giving us a message that it would work if the doors or windows were open- but they weren't. But we called the front desk and someone came right up- within 2 minutes. He reset the thing and it worked the rest of the time. He was friendly while there.

Oh- the AC how could I forget-every time the AC kicked on it made a loud noise. Not a rattle more like ...a jolt. imagine the hotel having hiccups. That's the only way to explain it. And even though we KNEW it was coming --every time it made us jump. We turned it off over night and slept with the balcony door open. (which meant the lights shown in the room very brightly. )

We never used the pool but it sure looked nice-
We never used the restaurant because it was too expensive.

If we had the money- we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 6th floor! ocean front.
1 Thank travelbugs920
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here in mid-August. Rooms are not as pictured on the web site. Dark and dingy, tiny bathroom and partial ocean view is a joke. You look out onto the next building and if you crane your neck you can see the ocean. The halls are dirty and disgusting along with the one elevator.

The gentleman at the pool was rude and unpleasant. He was more interested in getting done for the day. Went to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. No one was on site. They were going to have to call them. What?? A Saturday and you have no management at the property. This place is a total joke and at $500 a night the place was awful. Buyer Beware!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank nailhead
OCM_Management_Team, OCH Management at Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
We appreciate all constructive criticism and work hard to use guest feedback to improve upon our property. Based on your review, however, we're not sure you're reviewing the correct hotel. Our entire hotel was extensively renovated in 2011, all furnishings are brand new and each and every room has a private balcony with 95% of the rooms directly facing the beach and ocean.

If a manager is off-site or in a meeting, we do endeavor to address concerns or questions in a timely manner. In addition, if you visit Cape May again, please note that mid-August is the town's peak season and the prices along the beachfront are all comparable. Should you ever return, we invite you to compare our lodging offerings to others in the area.

Wishing you happy travels in the future.

Best regards,
OCH Management
beemainia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Our room was on the 5th floor, the view was ocean front and exquisit... some areas of hotel are a tad worn; hallways etc. We were there off season, it would have been very noisy if we had been there during peak. We were able to sleep with balcony open every night. Staff okay, very young and self absorbed. it was a good place to stay... the bed was nothing short of heaven! The housekeeping had some to be desired, skimpped on effort. Empty cups sat on tables on patio for two days.

Room Tip: Stay as high up as you can. the 2nd floor rooms open up to pool area and afford ZERO privacy
Green Features: I actually resent getting set back over a thousand dollars for a room for 5 nights and being asked to reuse towels. Really? I get fresh towels at home every day...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay and will use your review to improve upon our offerings and services. We hope to have you join us again in the future.