“Cape May, Great Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Cape May, Great Stay”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Very nice property. Good for young families as well as singles. Front desk staff was helpful and courteous. Tiki bar staff was personable and attentive. John, the pool manager, took great care of our entire crew of 16 (4 families)! Definitely returning next summer!

2 Thank Justin M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I'm a marriott loyalist so i compare everything to them. Just stayed at this hotel and found the service to be terrible and the rooms are cramped with over sized furniture and the bathrooms barely fit one person. Not great for more than a couple. The location is great, just east enough to be away from the hustle and bustle. It was my first time in the Cape. Next visit I try Congress Hall.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank robertbadolato
OCM_Management_Team, OCH Management at Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate feedback from our guests and are happy you enjoyed your first stay in town enough that you wish to return.

Our hotel debuted in 2011, and all of our furnishings are brand new and custom designed. We are sorry they were not to your tastes. We wish you could have provided feedback on what issues with the service you experienced so that they could be addressed.

Please note that Cape May does not house any corporate chain hotels, and each hotel in town has a unique character all its own.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Very good property. Great location for cape may. Robes in room would be nice. Great pool. Only one elevator makes for a slow checkout. Front staff is friendly.

Would return to this property if I were returning to cape may.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank 22AmS
ny,ny
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was our fourth summer at Cape May. Each time we have ended up, for various reasons, at a different hotel. This year we booked very late and had few options since so many places were already booked and/or required a full week's stay when we only were going away for 4 nights. Online reviews led me to the Ocean Club. We were very happy with our stay. (you can see my review of other CM hotels under my profile)

The good:
* Overall this is a nice hotel.
* The front desk staff was very nice, both at check in and check out. At one point our in-room safe broke and someone came right away to fix it.
* The beds were comfortable... a rare find in Cape May.
* The room did NOT have that musty, damp feel that many beach hotels can have.... You walked in and it felt and smelled clean.
* Good blackout shades allowed my husband and sons to sleep late.
* The location was good, just at the start of the beachside promenade. Each morning I got up early and walked the entire promenade (1.4 miles each way) to the end of Beach Ave. and it was gorgeous. At first we were nervous that the walk to Washington Mall area with the restaurants and shops would be too far for the kids, but even my 4.5 yr old was able to do the walk each night without complaint. It took about 15-20 minutes but I think adults only or older kids could walk into town much faster.
* If you prefer not to walk, the trolley is free for hotel guests. We used it one night when it started to rain as we walked into town.
* The pool here seems to be one of the bigger ones in Cape May. There is a shallow area for kids, and then the rest of the pool gets deeper. This is also a ledge running along the sides of the pool so that kids swimming in deeper water who need a rest can stand on the ledge easily. That was a nice touch. The water was also nicely heated.
* The poolside food is actually quite tasty, and a convenient lunch option. The mango mojito was pretty good too. They have smoothies for the kids.
* The beach is right across the street and there are lounges (and umbrellas for a fee) available. You can also order lunch to the beach. Be forewarned - beach service is cash only. At the pool you can charge to the room.
* While I was packing up, my husband took the kids to breakfast at Sea Salt and said the meal was very good. The other mornings I had just picked up bagels a few blocks away on the way back from my morning walk.
* Free wi-fi with very good service.
* Lots of kid-friendly cable channels

The Bad:
* Like everywhere else in Cape May, this hotel is WAY overpriced.
* Bathroom is a decent size but could use more hooks/towel bars. Also, our room only had a stand up shower, no bath, which was a disappointment for my 4 year old who much prefers baths to showers. Also, the shower has a weird set up. Instead of a curtain or full wall & door, there is this half wall and then it is open to the rest of the bathroom so water still spilled out to the floor.
* The pool deck got very crowded and there aren't always enough lounges for the number of people who want to sit there. They ran out of towels in the afternoon as well, and we had to wait for about 20 minutes to get them.
* The pool person whose job it was to get towels and set up the chairs was not nice. Each time I politely asked for a towel or if there was a seat available, he scowled at me and was very rude, and at one point I wondered if I had been mistaken about his job responsibilities but I think he just wasn't happy about this being his job. That said, the bartender, waitress and everyone else was very friendly.
* The pool deck could also use some overheard wiring to keep the seagulls away from the area. One day a bird swooped down during lunch and bit my son's burger. We had to throw away his meal. I was surprised that the waitress, who saw this happening, didn't offer to give my son (7 years old) a replacement. He was sharing sliders with my husband and was in the middle of the 1 slider he was going to eat [my husband had already eaten his 2] so it would have been really nice gesture to get him that one new slider and also replace the smoothie that the bird touched. I understand that it wasn't the hotel's fault this happened, but that offer would have made such good customer service and surely would have received high praise in this review.
* I think for a hotel that charges over $500/night to then charge $10 for a beach umbrella is outrageous. Of course, we did get one, so we are allowing them to get away with it, but again, this is another nicety that could turn a 4 star review to a 5 star review and increase the value that we as customers get for the high cost of this hotel.
* Housekeeping did a decent job in the room but didn't clean the room's patio - didn't take our drink cups away, didn't vacuum/sweep some cereal my kids had spilled, and there were cigarette butts from previous guests. Inside they did a nice job.

In the end, if we were only coming for 3-4 nights we would definitely consider coming back. The room was nice, the beds comfortable, the pool big and warm, and the location more convenient than expected. With a few customer service improvements that provide the experience and value expected for a hotel at this price range, this could be a fantastic hotel.
For a full week, we preferred where we stayed last year that was more of a condo/apartment.

Room Tip: The first floor room was convenient with kids.
Sewell
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I would recommend the ocean club. I think they do need a bigger elevator had to use stairs often but who doesn't need exercise. Stairwell very clean and there are only 4 floors so not to far to climb. The staff was great especially Lorin He greeted us as soon as we arrived and the staff was very eager to please.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Our room 217 was very clean and nicely furnished but small and in a very undesirable place. We were put next to the ice machine which was very loud and our view was of the adjacent hotels shuffle board. Not pleasant for sleeping and no privacy. Balcony was unuseable. For the cost was very unhappy about that. The overall cleanliness, pool, pool bar and beach side service made up for it. The service was good and everyone was very pleasant.
I would recommend to the Hotel to include pillows that are not goosedown for those who dont tolerate feathers and for the price the pool should be reserved for guests only. While we were there we couldnt get a lounge but found that there were non guests at the bar and using the pool which made it crowded.

Room Tip: Not worth the money to go for the rooms with partial views of ocean. They are on the side of the bui...
Green Features: Very considerate of option for fresh daily linens or reusing. The Air Conditioning was a system that had the ability to completely turn off when not occupying room to save energy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Highland, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We recommended the Ocean Club to our family and friends and went there as a large group of 16 people and we all had a wonderful, relaxing vacation. The service was excellent! Worth every penny! Everyone was so accommodating and friendly.... everyone from the poolside wait staff, bartenders, John the pool mgr, the maid service staff and the front desk people and Russ. The adjacent restaurant Sea Salt was great for breakfast and poolside lunch, so convenient. We loved the beachside service as well, very indulgent, exactly what a vacation should be (no packing or schlepping everything to the beach, they do it all for you!) Thanks so much! We will be returning next year!!