“Immaculate palace by the sea”
Review of Ocean Club Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ocean Club Hotel
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Immaculate palace by the sea”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

You must see this wonderful brand new hotel. Everything is superb from the moment you walk in: excellent food, friendly service, spacious rooms, fantastic pool and private beach. We enjoyed every moment!

• Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Edgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed August 27, 2011

My fiance and I decided to try something new, we've been going to Cape May every year since we were kids, so we gave Ocean Club a try. This hotel is beautiful! Our room was on the sundeck, which was very convenient because of the accessibility. The pool area left us speechless. The tiki bar was a very nice touch. Such a dramatic change for Cape May. The bed was super comfortable and the room was very modern but hallways were a bit outdated but we were staying the rooms not the halls so they didn't bother ME. The staff, especially the front desk employee Sarah and pool boy John, was beyond helpful. They tended all of our needs, and always asked if we needed more help. I will definitely return with or without my fiance.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We travel a lot and stay at high rated hotels. We felt like the owner is trying hard to make this a 5 star hotel but skimping as he does it. This hotel is falling short in many ways. No iron or coffee machine in the room. Ridiculous. At least have free coffee downstairs for the guests. The maid reused the tissue box I had thrown in the garbage pail and just put a couple of tissues in it. Originally it had two different kind of tissues and the box was already ripped and stained. Might sound petty but when you are paying high prices you expect a certain degree of class. No replacement of amenities after the first night . Had to ask for my room to be vacuumed after they came in and just made the beds. Very obvious it needed to be vacuumed. John at the pool was great and an asset to this company. The guys at the beach were great too. The other staff was young and very inexperienced. If you want a 5 star hotel hire older experienced workers not young kids they do not even have the command of English. The pool is very nice, the beds extremely comfortable and the decor very chic. For the price they charge per night this should have been an exceptional experience. Overall it was alright. I believe that they will have no choice but to work the value/price equation or they won't be in business for long.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Kathleen F
Berlin, Maryland
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My fiance and I stayed in the sundeck suite at the hotel this August. I must say, if you are going to stay at the hotel, this is the way to go. There are private chaise chairs outside the room and we never had to worry about finding a spot by the pool. If you are not beach or pool goers, this room is for you. I have some pros and cons on the hotel. First, when you are paying ~$500(with taxes) a night for a room in Cape May, you should expect to receive the best of the best. I do understand the hotel had recently reopened and was still working out some kinks in the hotel. If your guests do not feel the hotel is running up to par as of yet, do not charge this obscure price for mediocre service. I commend the hotel on it's green initiative with the airconditioner. However, there were several times I woke up during the night sweating because the air conditioner wasn't working properly. It was making odd noises and no air was coming out. It eventually turned back on, so I didn't feel it necessary to bring to the staffs attention/ The rooms were nicely renovated, however there were certain details that were overlooked in the renovation process. For example, there was something protruding from underneath the carpet in our room. I have no idea what it was, but it was very noticeable something was just carpeted over. Again, I think whoever designed the rooms did a fabulous job, but the person who actually carried out the work lacked in craftsmanship. The hallways have yet to be renovated and are an odd orange color. Along with other guests, I noticed there was only one elevator in the whole building, however this was not a problem for us being on the second floor. I am extremely picky on what hotel I stay at, so in addition to having clean, luxurious rooms, I expect exceptional food...and definitely room service! Again, for $500 a night, we did not receive room service. I would expect this at that price. We also could not eat at the hotel our first night because "they were booked". We looked around, and saw that two tables were taken! Two. We then went back to our room and made reservations at another restaurant and came back down a half hour later. We looked into the SeaSalt and saw 5 tablets taken with several open. There was more than enough room to accommodate a party of 2. In my opinion, if you are not adequately staffed or have not yet figured out how to run the hotel as efficiently as you would like, hold off on charging me $500 a night. Last but not least, on our last day, we ate breakfast at the hotel before leaving. I had to send back my eggs twice because scrambled eggs should not ooze water when cut into. I think scrambled eggs are one of the few foods you cannot screw up, and somehow the chef managed to do so....twice. Anyone can comment and apologize after reading this post and say this was not brought to the hotel's attention, however it certainly was and there is no way to take back the $500 I spent each night. Until the hotel has perfected it's service, I recommend anyone looking for a classy stay with 4-5 start service in Cape May to stay at Congress Hall, where you would certainly get that for less than $500 a night. Finally, we are getting married in Cape May next summer and were looking for a nice hotel to recommend to our 150 guests. I will not be recommending this hotel to them at this moment.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BeachCatPA
OCM_Management_Team, Ocean Club Hotel Management at Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about your stay. Please rest assured that your feedback will help us improve upon the property.

As you noted, your concerns were not raised during your stay. Had you done so, please know we would have made every attempt to address your issues. While we strive for perfection, if we fall short we would like for our guests to let us know while they are still in residence so we can try to improve the quality of their stay.

As a guest staying in a sundeck suite, you had the ability to order food from your sundeck cabana area during pool hours. There is no other room service offered by the hotel at this time. Please note that this is reflected on our website as well.

We apologize if we fell short of your expectations and wish you well with your impending nuptials.
Patterson, New York
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Where do I start...We arrived at the Ocean Club around 11:30(very easy drive and easy to get to) and our room was still occupied. They gave us our parking pass for our car and told us we had full access to the pool, restaurant, parking lot and bar. We just went to the beach and were surprised to see the hotel waiters serving food and drinks on the beach. We ordered 2 Shrimp Cocktail and the Chicken Quesadilla...it was awesome. While swimming in the ocean we saw several Dolphins swimming past us, only 25 yards away! We wanted to stay on the beach longer but we also wanted to check in at 3pm. The front desk was pleasant during check in (no rudeness as other people experienced) we headed to our room on the 3rd floor. It was a good sized room, modern with a balcony with a direct view of the ocean(all the rooms have a direct view and it's nice). The only problem was, OUR ROOM WAS NOT CLEANED YET!! I have worked in the hotel industry and know miscommunication between housekeeping and the front desk happens but it's still a bad experience for the guest! I called the front desk and they handled it well. We were upgraded to the "Pent House" on the 6th floor. The pent house was a bit larger and may have been nicer decorated than the room on the 3rd floor. I will say for sure, the view was even better from this floor! The two queen beds were perfect, the sheets, blankets and pillows were top grade as you would have in a 4-5 star Hotel. The bathroom is smallish but not cramped. It doesn't have a bathtub, only a modern glass enclosed shower. The room and Bath are all new and modern with a very modern A/C unit that may confuse some people. That explains some negative reviews about the room's temp not being cool enough. You must have your room key inserted in the thermostat for it to operate and the A/C shuts of when the Balcony door is left open! The Hotel is also in a very upscale residential area that is still a bit quaint with a few restaurants and shops to walk to. The beach is across the street from the hotel which I thought might ruin the effect of my water veiw...I always prefer to have direct beach front. I almost didn't stay here because of this issue and I'm glad I decided to stay here! Again, the location is perfect...It's not crowded and you'll find that the Dolphin/whale watching boats are in this area, because this is where the Dolphins are. I saw over 50 Dolphins during my 2 days, they swim in both directions all day long. The only restaurant "that's on the beach" is a bit grungy to say the least, to the point it may ruin your appetite. The steak I ordered was pretty good though. We should have eaten at the hotel for a better experience.
Wildwood is a short drive away and we had fun there. We went on the rides and shopped on the boardwalk(you must haggle just for fun). It's a bit crazy and it can get crowded late in the day. Overall Wildwoods was a good experience but I'm very glad I stayed in Cape May. The Wildwood area is a bit grungy and crowded, also... the water is 100's of yards away once you step onto the sand (Cape May's shore is only feet away!). We didn't try the "long walk" to the water in Wildwood. So in my opinion it's best to stay in Cape May for the beauty and visit Wildwood. Also, we took the drive to Sunset Beach to watch the sunset(it was cloudy but still nice), you can eat at a restaurant there and check out the gift shop.Ultimately, I could have just stayed at the Ocean Beach Hotel, walk the road to the shops, rent a bike or lounge at the beach watching the Dolphins... while being served food! Overall, it was a great experience.

Room Tip: request a higher floor, the view is awesome and it's worth the wait for the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank TaskMasterwkw
Thank you for taking the time to review the Ocean Club Hotel. We are so very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you visit again in the near future!

Best regards,
The Ocean Club Hotel Team
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My husband and I own a travel agency, family has been in the business over 40 years, and have stayed in upscale resorts worldwide...so needless to say, we are experienced & picky!
We have been traveling to Cape May every summer for a quick getaway for the past 6 years. This was our first time at the Ocean Club, and we LOVED it! We thoroughly enjoyed the Sundeck Cabana Suite...yes, the in room air conditioner is noisy, but the hotel is brand new and they will be working out all those kinks during the off season. Everything was very clean, beautiful pool, and the beds & bedding were amazing.
The staff was so great in assisting with finding my best friend and her family last minute availability, due to the fact that they were so unhappy at a neighboring hotel. We also had the pleasure of enjoying Sea Salt, the tiki bar, restaurant bar, and meeting Chef Lou.
My biggest things are cleanliness and a luxurious resort feel ~ the fact that the Ocean Club has captured that in Cape May is a treasure! I hope that the hotel keeps up this status, and it is even more fabulous upon my return ~ as far as the pricier rates in comparison to other hotels, is worth every penny! I have been spreading the word on this property to all my friends, family, and clients...my facebook photos are receiving rave reviews!

Room Tip: The Sundeck Cabana Suite provides the ultimate in maximizing your personal space to enhance the enjo...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Diana M
OCM_Management_Team, Ocean Club Hotel Management at Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
So glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for spreading the word, and we hope you join us again soon!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I have read all reviews prior to my wife and I booking. I was skeptical as there were good and bad. W were there the last week of July. I must say that we tend to frequent more upscale places and didn't know what to expect. We arrived and found the staff to be very friendly. yes this place has only been reopened for a month so there are a few things to be ironed out. The cons. Yes there is only 1 elevator but it wasn't an issue for us as we stayed in a sundeck suite on the 2nd floor. The hallways need to be upgraded and I'm sure they will be. The air conditioner does make a noise but no where as bad as people make it out. The room which is quite nice does have a small bathroom but they could not expand them. The bed is beyond comfortable and we had no issue with room services. I will say that I found Suzy, Jamie and staff quite helpful and really friendly. special shout out to John at the pool who was busting his behind in trying to please all that were there. It was really busy. Another shout out to Petr or Peter at the beach for making it really a pleasure to be catered to. he did all with a smile. We originally were supposed to be away for 9 nights and not knowing what to expect, booked part of our trip at the water club at the Borgata. I must say that we would have had no issue staying in Cape May. Being the first time there we plan to make a return visit to the Ocean Club. The place does have some tweaking to do but the overall experience was really top notch. Yes its a little pricey but based on all the other places we looked at this was far above the best. From cigars sitting out on the sundeck to drinks at the bar and pool. We are picky ourselves and found this place to be really quite cool and it certainly pleased my wife which is more than any man can be happy about.. Keep working hard and don't let the negativity bring you down. Your doing ti right !! wg

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank warrenpam
OCM_Management_Team, Ocean Club Hotel Management at Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
So happy you enjoyed your stay with us! We will most certainly work hard to surpass your expectations and we hope you visit with us again soon.