“1st time camping at holly shores”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Holly Shores Camping Resort
Bel Air, Maryland
“1st time camping at holly shores”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I do not like starting out with a negative because there were so many positives about the campground. We arrived last Sunday at holly shores. We were greeted at the gate by a crew member who took our information and pointed us toward our site S1. It was a nice site little small but not bad. We sat up then went to the office to finish the check in process. The girl that checked us in was polite. We were told we had to give a deposit of 10.00 dollars for the gate card which was no problem. We then were told in order to get cable tv we needed to rent a Comcast cable box. I thought that would be an easy hook up but found that it was not. The first night I could not get it too work and Comcast stated they saw no problem. The next morning I retried but had no luck so I went to the office and told them I could not get the cable to work. I was told a crew member would come over, Pedro came to the site and checked the box to find it was working. He told me it sounded like it was a problem with my line. I rechecked the cable and found that it was not screwed in all the way at the rv. I called comcast and finally got it to work. It took quote a bit of time to get this working. My second tv I decided not to rent the box and only had one tv station. The wire that hangs down to change channels did not work even after the crew said it was working. I think the campgrounds needs a better system I have been too many campgrounds and this is the first time I have ever had to have a box.
On Saturday night my wife and I were walking our dog near the office around 8:30 p.m. When we saw a person with a large dog and a smaller dog. Both dogs became very aggressive when they saw our small dog. The one dog jerked the owner and at that pointed the other dog started barking and leaching towards our direction. The person (we later learned it was the owner of the campground) yelled for us to go around the other way away from them. He was putting the dog in a car marked with holly shores on it. I don't believe that the owner should have a dog or dogs on the grounds if they are vicious or don't like other dogs. If that dog would have broken loose from the owner it would have been a bad situation. I know he might be the owner, but he should not have an animal like that at a campground with young children and other pets if you can't even go near it. I paid to be there and should have not been told to get away. The other thing that upset my wife and a friends wife was the same night around 9:00p.m. They went into the store and a lady behind the counter berated a young girl in front of customer. The lady wanted to know why the young girl had not greeted a customer with a welcome. This should never happen. I believe you take the person to the side and talk to them about the concern but you don't do it in front of your customers. What that showed me or made me thought was is it fake for them to show the welcome greeting. If you teach them right I believe they will respond appropriately.
These were the only two things that I could find wrong with the camping experience. The campground was well groomed and clean. I would revisit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank cpl0199

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was out first visit to this campground. The sites are small, very small. One right on top of the next. We selected this campground based upon the excellent reviews, but saw nothing to substantiate them.

While it is clean with amenities and in an excellent location, we could not find any reason to give it even close to 5 stars. The pool is very small with limited seating. There were biting flies all over us at the pool. We were stung/bit numerous times. The campground and it's store are very expensive. The staff just seemed miserable; no smiles or hellos, just "can I help you" or "next".

We gave it three stars only because it was so clean.

11 Thank onehitwondersarebs
Hatboro
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

My family loves traveling in our travel trailer every summer, and we never miss an opportunity to stay at this wonderful campground. The owners and staff keep the property spotless and there are so many activities to keep our active son occupied the whole day. They recently re- modeled the swimming pool which is now a salt water pool. There is a hot tub for the adults and a kiddie pool as well. Te sites are very nice and they offer water sewer electric and cable on many of the sites. This campground is located 5 minutes from either the wildwood or cape may shore.
I you like camping, this is a great spot to visit.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank itsdaplumber
New Jersey
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was our second time staying here, we Love it! The staff are friendly, and quite helpful.
We start our summer by camping , and this place has become the place to go. very clean, pool is clean and nice. Quiet hours are strictly enforced , and the security at the gate is Great! My kids enjoyed the activities immensely , magic show, pony roads, hay rides, karaoke , quiz time...just to name a few.
We met Clement on his first day, he was really nice! .
Very close to Wildwood and Cape May beaches and close to lots of stores/restaurants , If you like biking, the bike path starts , right across the street, Cold Spring Village is off of it. It's nice biking and not having to worry about cars .
Visit the Aviation Museum in Cape May! We enjoyed it!
The only thing we don't care for are the 'fishing lakes' , they are back always from the campground and are public access, and the amount of trash around them was ridiculous :-(

We will be back Next year!!

Room Tip: Check it out before you decide on a spot.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NewJerseyA
Union Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had a party of 3 motorhomes, we decided last minute to all go away. Maggie was absolutely wonderful, she worked magic and was able to get us sites near each other. Getting into the sites with 2 very large class A's we're tight, but the staff came out and helped guided us. One of our group had a class C (no problem at all getting into their site). The sites were great,hard level stone Nice size little grassy yards w picnic tables. CLEAN!
The staff was so helpful, they made our stay very enjoyable!
Lots of activities for the kids, nice playground, nicely stocked store, the pool is new and clean! Giant fenced in dog run, which was well taken care of. clean restrooms and lots of washers and driers.

The only thing was that the lake was outside the campground, (which they have kayaks to rent) and since we have a large Motorhome we had no way of getting the kayaks to the lake. van transportation would be nice.

Definitely one of the nicer campgrounds we have been to at the Jersey Shore!

The Buhlers (NJ)

2 Thank Robin B
Naples, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2013

It wasn't bad enough the electric on the site didn't work......... and the mosquitos kept me inside my vehicle ..........and the most sites were filthy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and that my site was flooded.....the bad part is complaining to management about any of the above.....They make you feel that it was your fault and that they are doing you a favor by correcting a problem. Oh, I forgot to mention little things like charging you for a shower and keeping the rest rooms closed all day. ALSO they bus kids in to use the pool in the afternoon and hold teenage pool parties on week end nights so that you can't ever use the pool. ALSO check out the special rates on their web site that they don't give you and the cancellation policy that gives you a credit rather than a refund.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank 845disgusted1111845
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We've been coming to Holly Shores for the past 10 years. Sometimes it feels very crowded and noisy, other times, like last week (July 4th holiday week), not crowded and very relaxed. The sites are level and gravel, lots of shade. Some are much bettter than others so check the map and try to request a site number. It varies whether or not you will have luck with that. Sometimes they will confirm a site number and other times they will not guarantee it. The pool is heated which is nice. The baby pool is not and can be ice cold at times. The main pool is not the biggest so will get crowded on a hot day.

This campground is probably half seasonal. The seasonal sites are well maintained and interesting to look at on the daily afternoon wagon ride. Permanent residents are friendly. Most of the transient guests are polite and friendly also.

The good:
Lots of activities for kids of all ages. Arts and crafts, relay races, Candy Bar Bingo, water gun and balloon fights. Counsellors are nice if not all that enthused about it.

Bathhouse has always been clean.

Nightly entertainment is very enjoyable. Free Magic show is very entertaining. Free pony rides are a hit. Karaoke DJ very nice (although a bit loud for the space)

Location is convenient to Wildwood and Cape May. All the shopping for necessities and then some are a couple miles up the road.

The not so good:

Staff seems miserable. Hardly anyone smiles. Only the counsellors for the kids activities seemed to be able to smile.

Pay showers in the bathhouse are not so great. Water is good temp but ceiling mounted showerheads do not provide a good shower here. And with all the signs about how the pay showers save water and are good for the environment, it's pretty ridiculous to be done with your shower and watching the water run while you are finished.

The toilet stalls in the bathhouse are ridiculously sized also. Another reviewer mentioned this and there is no legroom or room to turn around at all. I checked with hubby and he said the men's is the same. I don't know who designed this place.... Also the dryers don't work great either.

This trip the bugs were pretty bad. Not sure if it was the weather but bug spray is a must here.

While the guests seem to obey the posted one way signs and speed limits, the staff zooms around on the golf carts paying no attention to the signs! Usually, at campgrounds, it's the guests doing this, but here it was the staff I noticed going the wrong way all the time at speeds that I estimate faster than 5 mph.....

Overall we like this place and it is not too far for us to drive (about 2 1/2 hours) so we keep coming back.

3 Thank rachelkw99
Congress Hall
#4 of 37 in Cape May
Seashore Campsites & RV Resort
Big Timber Lake Family Camping Resort
Big Timber Lake Family Camping R...
#1 of 5 in Cape May Court House

Been to Holly Shores Camping Resort? Share your experiences!