“Well maintained but packed in...”

Holly Shores Camping Resort
pennsylvania
“Well maintained but packed in...”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed at this campground for three nights over the last weekend in July. We have camped at other campgrounds at the Jersey shore, but usually in the month of June, which is not as crowded. When we arrived and drove by the other sites, we had a sinking feeling of "Oh no, these sites are packed in here like sardines...this does not look good". When we found our site, we were pleased and felt that if was probably the best site in the entire place, (H-3) as it had privacy and faced an open field. We did not have any children with us, so did not use the pool, game room,etc. but everything was very clean and nicely landscaped. We did go for a walk and saw that there were a few other sites that might have been okay, but if you do not want to be right on top of your neighbor, DO NOT stay anywhere in the inner loop! It probably would be a nice place to stay off season.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Amy C

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Kutztown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Had the opportunity to stay here with my fiance on a trip to Cape May, Nj... Overall the facilities were very nice, tent campsites were large, pool and spa was nice as well as the bathroom facilities (although the stalls in the womens bathroom were so small there was no room to move - coming from someone who is 5'4, 130 pounds)

On arrival we checked in with a girl who had no idea what she was doing and was coached by another staff member. I am a patient person, check in took about 10 minutes (as it threatened to rain outside) There was no apology for the wait, etc.

The terrible weather didn't help, but what can you do? Luckly the campsites are on a 12x12 wood pad, which helped with rain. However, after it downpoured the ground surrounding the site was mud.

The showers are 25 cents a shower and they do not refill if you want to take a shower longer than 5 minutes... so if the shower turns off on you with soap in your eyes, you're just stuck.

The pool and spa close at 8 p.m... which never left you enough time to enjoy them.

They have a "campfires out" policy at 11 p.m... which also doesn't allow you enough time to enjoy a campfire if you eat a late dinner and enjoy Cape May.... which is ironic since their slogan is "We'll keep the campfire going for you" or something to that effect. The staff members regularly circulate the campsites, but rarely stop to say "hi" etc...

It should also be noted that most people I noticed at this campground were French Canadian. While in the pool I felt like I was in Canada, nearly everyone was speaking french. I would easily guesstimate there were more French Canadians than America citizens at the campground and it seems as if you were French Canadian they may be a little more welcoming to you.

In the rain my phone was ruined and I asked office staff for a small screwdriver to take apart my phone to dry it. I was pointed toward a wall where I could buy a set....

I also looked forward to fishing, to find out that you cannot rent a pole on the campground, but you can buy one. Needless to say, if you don't bring a fishing rod with you, you're SOL unless you decide to buy a new one.

Also, for tent camping (although this is standard in the cape may area)... 225+ for 3 nights is a little outragous.

Needless to say, I don't think we'll be staying here again. But kudos to the next person.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Michael M
Warren, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband and I actually had a nice time at the campground until we got home. A few days after our vacation I received a letter in the mail that they charged my credit card $ 190 because the bed spring mechanism on the sofa bed was severely damaged and had to be replaced. WE DID NOT EVEN USE THE SOFA BED ! Needless to say I called right away and the first person I spoke to asked if we had been jumping on the sofa bed. We are both 56 years old !!!

I have tried to call the owner every day since the letter and cannot get past the girls who answer the phone. As soon as they hear my name they put me on hold and then come back to say that he is not there. I have not been rude or nasty on the phone with anyone when I call. I just figure if he was able to sign the letter he should be able to speak with me directly on the phone.

I have submitted a dispute with my credit card company and they are going to help me.

DO NOT sign anything when you check in until you go and inspect your cabin.

I have been totally ripped off and now I am seven hours away and can only make phone calls which have proven to be fruitless !!!

There are multiple campgrounds in the area.........keep on looking !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
20 Thank Karen Z
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 12, 2012

By far the WORST place I have ever stayed at. While we were checking in the female owner was screaming at an employee right in front of atleast 5 other guests. That was the first issue, then we were placed on a site that was a good 5 feet smaller then our motor home and when I went back to the office to request a site change the owner was rude to me and told me this was obviously my fault because I must have told the wrong size when making my reservation, ( I have had the same unit for over 5 years and camp frequently I know what size my motor home is ). Overall this was a bad experience and I wouldn't recommend to anyone to camp there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank Bella S
Indiana, PA
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed for 5 days and loved this place. It was very wooded, which we like. There was lots of places for the kids to ride their bikes. The campground store was well stocked and everyone was very helpful and friendly. The pool was very clean and we had a great time there - when we weren't at the beach. This campground is pretty centrally located between Wildwood Beach and Cape May. This is one of the reasons we booked here. It takes about 7-10 minutes to drive to either one (opposite directions) but that was just fine with us. We would stay here again if we go to the southern tip of Jersey...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Carneys point
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The owners are extreamily rude people. Holly Shores is truly the worst campground I have ever stayed at. In fact we never got to stay. My family never ever got out of the truck and car.I been camping for over 25 years and never needed help getting my 28' trailer in a camp site. When the owner came over he started yelling at me like a school yard bully telling me to drop my rig and he will put it in the site. I said fine I started to unhook the trailer when he started yelling again no not there drop it in the street RT 9. Thats when he said if you don't like it leave. So I did with a full refund. See police report on 8/13/2011.The site was H-6 very small site. Thank God for Big Timber Lake they took us in and we had a great time there. I truly never seen anything like it in my life. Never again. Don't go!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
23 Thank benchmarktransrd
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at this RV Park. The sites were shaded and with concrete pads. We were in P39, which is close to the showers/bathroom and pool. Behind us was a mowed area that we could walk our dogs and further down was a volleyball net. Hook-ups were a little farther apart on this side of the road. We had to use every bit of shoreline length. The pool was very nice and our kids loved it. There was a life guard on duty too. Camp store is well-stocked. The bathrooms were clean and plentiful. Only knock is that showers cost 25 cents for 5 minutes. This is to conserve water. There is no temperature control and the faucet is in the ceiling. I needed 2 quarters! WiFi was $5 a day. There was plenty of activities over Father's Day weekend to keep everyone engaged. Plenty of things to do outside the campground as well. Security of the park was a welcome plus. Everyone was friendly and the campground is well maintained. We will return here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Montreal Beach Resort
#9 of 37 in Cape May
Seashore Campsites & RV Resort
Big Timber Lake Family Camping Resort
Big Timber Lake Family Camping R...
#1 of 5 in Cape May Court House

Been to Holly Shores Camping Resort? Share your experiences!