“A trip into the past!”

Naval Air Station Wildwood Aviation Museum
Ranked #4 of 62 things to do in Cape May
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Naval Air Station Wildwood Foundation is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to restore Hangar #1 at the Cape May Airport, Cape May County, New Jersey, into an aircraft museum honoring the Navy airmen who died while training during World War II. Hangar # 1 was listed onto the National Register of Historic Places in September of 1997. Naval Air station (NAS) Wildwood was commissioned on April 1, 1943. The site served as an active dive-bomber squadron training facility from 1943 to 1945. Aircraft stationed at NAS Wildwood included TBM Avengers, Douglas Dauntlesses, Vought Corsairs and Curtiss Helldivers. Forty-two airmen perished while training at NAS Wildwood during World War II. In June 1997, NASW Foundation purchased Hangar #1 at the Cape May Airport. The 92,000 square-foot all-wooden structure was in a state of disrepair and required extensive renovation. Under the stewardship of NASW Foundation, the hangar was listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places at the National Significance Level. NAS Wildwood Aviation Museum now boasts over 26 aircraft displays as well as exhibits of military memorabilia, engines, photographs and more. Additionally, the Franklin Institute of Philadelphia has provided NAS Wildwood with a wealth of interactive exhibits that allow visitors to discover the science of flight. The museum also features a library, food vending area as well as a recently expanded gift shop. In its role as a community resource, NAS Wildwood Aviation Museum regularly hosts activities including fly-ins, aviation festivals, big band concerts, swing dances, veterans’ ceremonies, historical lectures, school field trips and senior tours.
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is the type of museum that will interest several generations at one time. It is here that men trained to be bomber pilots in World War II. We see some of their planes and read their stories. It was the stories that I particularly liked. But the museum has much, much more including planes, engines and helicopters that you can sit in. Many of these are from the Vietnam era . Three bus loads of 6th graders were enjoying it all the day we visited in May!

All reviews
in 39 reviews
"ww ii"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Perfect museum for kids and adults, my 16 mo. old even loved it! Good for rainy day or nice day, easy park and nice employee's. Great history and readings inside.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

My husband is a huge “airplane nut”, so this of course was a must see. He was in heaven....lots and lots of very interesting planes, engines, etc. Many interactive things including a fun flight simulator. There are lots of things that children, as well as adults, would enjoy. In fact, the day we were there, a huge group of elementary school children were on a field trip, and they were having a ball. Unfortunately, they were not all well behaved, or well supervised, but that is not the fault of the museum. I, did not expect to enjoy the museum as much as I did, not having such a huge interest in aircraft. Rather than the planes themselves, I found the history of the Naval Air Station to be fascinating. Navy pilots were trained at this facility during World War 2, and there are stories, pictures, mementos that brought that era to life. We, along with two other couples who were traveling with us, spent several hours, and everybody found it to be a real highlight. This is definitely worth your time.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Nestled at the side of the runway is this great museum. The planes are a cross section of aviation history. I saw the type of plane my uncle flew in during WWlI. I had a great conversation with a staff member about their newest acquisition, a 1941 Chevrolet staff car in original blue paint. The exhibits are child-friendly.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Down in Cape May on vacation, my fiance and I are celebrating our engagement, his birthday, and just being able to take a vacation in years. I had googled things to do while down here. Its his 2nd time down here (first time he got sick so we didnt get to explore) and I've been coming down for roughly 30 years but had never come to the museum. So as a "field trip day" we decided to go to the NASW Aviation Museum and it sure didnt disappoint!! There is so much history in one place that it is a bit overwhelming at times. I was snap happy taking pictures of everything and anything. The staff was welcoming and very helpful in any of the questions of I had. The $20 we paid was well worth it and I would glady pay it again and more!! If down in Cape May for even one day, this would be a place to go!!!!! Cant wait to come back, hopefully with my dad (he loves this kind of stuff)

1  Thank Michele S