“Mystery weekend”

Elaine's
Ranked #75 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: One visit and you'll know why Elaine's Famous Dinner Theater has been voted one of the top five dinner theaters in the country by the Food Network! The dinner theater package includes a full-course meal with delicious appetizers, and your choice of several sumptuous entrees, along with a wonderful live show put on by the area's most talented actors. Reservations recommendedWe can happily accommodate large parties!
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We went down with another couple, I didn't know what to expect. We were promptly greeted by staff and the fun started from there. Friday was a "Meet and Greet" with the actors and the other guests that were staying for the weekend, We had an awesome time and the staff was amazing. Saturday we woke up and had breakfast, it wasn't bad.

We had a "ball breaking" session with the other guests. The staff got involved and everyone had such a great time. It really made the weekend extra special for everyone there, I think they are still talking about it. the show Saturday night was entertaining, it wasn't Braodway but I wasn't expecting that either. The actors had us cracking up, they had the crowd involved and it seemed as everyone there was laughing.

Sunday we woke up and finished our weekend with the actors. We went over who we thought "killed Joe". Everyone and I mean everyone was in to it!! We made some good friends this weekend and all 8 of us are looking forward to meeting up here again to do other show.

Thanks to the Actors,Staff and Managment at Elaines JOB WELL DONE!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The first clue should have been when this was described as "dinner theater."

"Elaine's" is the a bed and breakfast in a lovely Victorian house, which has a beautiful bar with a (fairly) well decorated Halloween themed dining room. Those are the pluses. The minuses are the food is mediocre at best, the service is lacking (but everyone is very nice) and the "theater" is basically three people trying to act out a ridiculous, disjointed story. One woman plays a Victorian-era ghost, with a really annoying high pitched accent and lousy costume. Another fellow plays I am not sure what, with an even worse costume, doing a BAD Yakov Smirnoff (remember him? If not, it's because he wasn't funny and was annoying, and if you do, you remember him because he wasn't funny and was annoying). Finally, a third fellow plays someone who is just dumb and annoying, with no distinguishing characteristics beyond being annoying.

My seven year old found it amusing, but she was laughing at the actors, not their performances. My ten year old found it amusing that my seven year old was so easily amused. My wife and I were amused by the 12 year old at the next table who kept asking his parents "is this almost over?"

The dinner was prix-fixe. The appetizer choices were soup (cream of broccoli) or salad. I picked the soup, I should have picked the salad. The entree options were pretty basic. I picked the steak, which actually wasn't too bad (do not mistake that comment for an endorsement, it wasn't good, but was better than the acting or the cream of broccoli soup). Drinks were extra. Unfortunately, I was driving, so the only thing (booze) which could have dulled the mediocre (at best) food and lousy amateurish show was not available to me.

I also had to turn down the coffee, since I try to avoid sugar (Atkins) and cannot stand Sweet and Low (this isn't the 1970s). McDonald's has Splena and Equal, but Elaine's doesn't? We turned down desert too, because it would have prolonged our exposure to the show for another 10 minutes.

The bill came to about $100. For two plates of spaghetti with red sauce, a small lousy steak and whatever my wife had. We go out in NYC all the time, so $100 for a dinner for 4 is a bargain by those standards, but it was no bargain at this place. I gave the waitress a decent tip, even though she forgot our drink order, twice, and I had to practically beg for a little extra red sauce for my kids pasta. I figured she deserved combat pay for having to see the show three times a night.

I do not mean this to sound snobbish. I do not expect a Tony Award winning performance at a small place on the tail end of New Jersey in the off-season. But the actors didn't even seem to be enjoying themselves. A few hours after dinner, when we got back to the hotel we were all hungry, so I had to go to a Wawa (a regional convenience store, similar to a 7-11) for sandwiches. The Wawa food was better and a lot cheaper.

If the people seemed they were having fun, I would have called it cheesy or campy, which was what I expected. But everyone seemed down and just going through the motions, so I would describe the whole scene as kind of depressing.

2  Thank twnyc
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I went to one of the murder mystery shows. Dinner and a show, it was very entertaining. Spoke with some of the actors after and they couldn't have been nicer. Food was good and so was the entertainment. Would go again.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Went to the dinner show. The kid actors and actresses try hard and are pretty good, sometime funny...like a High School play with no story. The food was just okay at best. Not bad for a night out but it was overpriced.
Not bad but not good.
Worth trying if you have the $$$ to blow. Will cost about $120 for two (tax, tip, etc)

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Called to make reservations for dinner show was told they were booked, but the haunted house was available. The person suggested the 8pm show instead of the 6pm show because that was scarier. We arrived an hour early, good thing, parking is scarce. The outside entertainment was really good. Didn't get seated until 8:25. Out waitress was almost impossible to understand with no knowledge of the menu. Husband ordered crab cakes was told not available even though table next to us had it. He settled on the chicken parm. ate half said it was awful. My son and I ordered steak that was very good. The potatoes were fair and the string beans were not cooked. The waitress never brought my husband his drink . We had to get another waitress to get it. The entertainment was not that great. This was not what I expected and with a tab of $110.00 was way overpriced.

3  Thank debbi m