“best place in Cape May” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sea Crest Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cape May
Sea Crest Motor Inn
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Cape May

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2004

I would like to amplify the negative rating the Sea Crest Motor Inn in Cape May, N.J., received from the Upstate, N.Y., Trip Advisor.

I have stayed there three or four times, each time becoming less satisfied.

The owners seem to have the attitude that guests are there to service their rules, rather than the appropriate attitude that most motel proprieters and innkepers in Cape May display in spades: Their role is to serve their guests.

For example, the Sea Crest does have those large rooms and efficiencies featured in its brochure. In fact, the efficiencies have two queen-size beds and a sofa bed. But lo and behold, management does not allow more than three people to occupy them. That eliminates most anyone but a couple with one child or a single friend, relative, etc. It certainly eliminated me when I wanted to come with my 18-year-old daughter, as well as my elderly mother and my aunt. You can imagine what a wild crowd we would have been!. Still, I could not persuade the Sea Crest that the four of us would not be a loud, disruptive presence. Instead, we were told we would have to get two rooms. We did, but the second one was not at the Sea Crest because we could do much better rate-wise at another place where the four us repaired after dinner each evening to sip Champagne and talk.

Also, friends who have stayed there shared my feeling that management always seems to be hovering, around the porches, at the pool, etc., and not in a particularly solicitous way. During one visit my daughter's boyfriend forgot that diving was forbidden and did a very shallow dive into the deep end of the pool, which is deep enough for diving although a sign says it is forbidden.

We were the only ones at the pool besides the owner's wife so his behavior could not have triggered a stampede of copycats among younger children, but the owner's wife still felt obligated to come over and reprimand him in a loud voice, telling him that if she caught him diving again, he would be banned from the pool for the rest of our stay.

She need not have worried. We will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2003
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2004

This hotel is not worth the money you spend to stay here. The rooms have a musty odor and it is very far from the center of town. When my husband and I reserved for this hotel, we reserved a "Deluxe King" and with research from the internet, their website showed pictures of a large room. When we arrived, we came into a very small and claustrophobic room with a small bathroom, tiny TV and a tiny fridge. I went to the owners and complained that I was very dissappointed that I paid a lot for a room and I received a tiny hole in the wall. She then showed us a suite that had two rooms and a kitchen, but did not have an ocean view (that was the same price of my original reservation). That room was nice and quiet, but the room had a musty odor and the blankets were not washed. The hotel was also a good walk to the center of town. I will definately come back to Cape May, but I will find another place to stay! SO.....BEWARE!!

• Stayed August 2004