“Excellent 5-Year Wedding Anniversary Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peter Shields Inn

The Peter Shields Inn
Ranked #9 of 45 Cape May B&B and Inns
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
“Excellent 5-Year Wedding Anniversary Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This review is a little late, but just wanted to share. My husband and me decided to stay at PSI for two nights in April 2012 for our 5-year wedding anniversary. We had room #8? (had an ocean view, large jacuzzi tub and fireplace) and it was so romantic. It was our first time leaving our little one so aside from a mother's anxiety leaving her child with the grandparents, I had a great time overall. It was the trip my husband and me needed to reconnect and to be like teenagers all over again. When we got there, we were able to check-in a little early, park our car, and go for a walk across the road where the beach is a stone's throw away. We came back for the afternoon wine and cheeses, which was delicious. It was warm enough weather that we sat outside on the second story balcony and then moved to the front porch. Later on that night, we ate at the B&B restaurant and had the most amazingly delicious dinner. Seared salmon for me, filet for the husband...just perfect! The dinner was part of the package deal of the stay, which was also a plus. The next day we explored Cape May and came back for the afternoon wine and cheeses. They also have a room where they stock drinks, snacks, and freshly baked cookies for guests. It was a nice touch. The breakfasts were delicious and what a view too! The only negative was that the staff wasn't extremely friendly, but they were extremely professional. We've been to another B&B in Cape May that lacked the ocean view, but if we had to choose, we'd go back to that one b/c it was a little more cozy for us. However, the PSI is more for a romantic, high-end, first-class getaway. We always had admired the building and thought it would be a great place to stay, which it was!
Maybe we'll go back on our 10 year...we'll see!

Room Tip: Definitely pick a room that has an ocean view! Worth the price tag!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank starr19

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The Peter Shields Inn was a relaxing way to spend my husband's BD. The staff were friendly and helpful. The afternoon wine and cheese and veggie tray weres very good. They serve Cape May wines,only and for dinner also. You can bring your own wine selctions for dinner if you choose to.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night for a quick get away. What an amazing spot. We were there days before the Hurricane so I am glad it was only for one night. Cape May is such a nice beach town- beautiful homes to look at. The staff at the inn was beyond helpful. We will be back!

Room Tip: Oceanfront - can't be beat! Also, a bottle of wine on the front porch is a must!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were married on 11/11/11 and held our ceremony on the balcony second floor of the Inn. The ceremony was at sunset on a lovely day, the manager Bridget preformed our exchange of vows with a very personal ceremony for our intimate group of family and friends. They provided us a lovely three course dinner in a private dining room. We did byob and had a pianist entertain us during dinner on their baby grand piano, which they have in their beautiful foyer at the base of the staircase. Perfectly intimate, historicly beautiful environment with a grand presence, and excellent cuisine and service. We would certainly recommend Peter Shields Inn for an event or a special getaway. Speaking of which, we're on our way down to celebrate our first anniversary with them this month! Terri and Mike

Room Tip: Love a view of the ocean...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Forest Hill, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Wow!! Peter Shields Inn hosted my wedding on Sunday. My guests raved about the food the fantastic view and elegant setting. It was absolutely the best weekend of my life. It rained and we found a hole in the weather and Bridget insisted to the wedding planner that the show must go on because it is what I wanted although the planner wanted to bag the outside ceremony because of the weather. I got married on the beach despite the sprinkling of the rain. Jeff ran out big umbrellas for the soloist. What a bunch of nice nice people that totally took care of my guests and my wedding party. The bridal suite had the most comfortable bed I ever slept in.We stayed two nights. We didn't get to take advantage of the wonderful breakfast on the morning of the wedding, but Bridget kept sending up yogurt, fruit and muffins. We had a wedding party of 8 stay over the night of the wedding and we enjoyed a relaxed made to order full breakfast. I was stuffed. She kept everything running smoothly and I only had to worry about spending time with my guests. My guests have told me that it was the best wedding they have ever been to. Thank you thank you thank Peter Shields and all the wonderful staff that made my wedding my dream wedding!! Truly a 5 star experience!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I booked a last minute stay this past weekend. Room 6 on top floor only room available. Nice ocean view, but the house has "settled" and the room was pitched. There are pidgeons, but we only heard them fluttering around in the morning.
PSI didn't quite have the comfy, homey, friendly atmosphere we've experienced in other B&Bs. The woman who checked us in never told us her name, never smiled and seemed quite put out because we had arrived a few hours prior to check-in. We told her it was not a problem and would go to town and come back in a few hours when the room was ready. Didn't tell us much about the Inn, nor did she ask us any questions about ourselves, our visit or if we had stayed there previously. Showed us the room, told us where to park and that was it!
Breakfast was enjoyable, young girl serving us was pleasant. Seating was two or four to a table, so it wasn't condusive to mingling and meeting other guests. The social aspect is one of the reasons we stay at B&Bs and it was lacking here.
Didn't have dinner here, but believe this is the bigger draw than staying here. Loved Cape May but will stay elsewhere the next time we visit.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the second floor. Upper floor rooms have dormers and room 6 is pitched.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day, four night stay at the Peter Shields Inn. I can't say enough kind and wonderful things about our stay. Bridget, Meg and all the staff were so helpful and kind. My husband and I enjoyed the daily 4:30 PM wine and cheese gatherings... we met so many nice folks and it was a wonderful ice breaker to meet others staying at the inn. The views were also wonderful from the 2nd story balcony... the beach is right across the street.
We also dined at the inn and the food was delicious, perfectly prepared and attractly arranged on the plates. We dinned early taking advantage of the fixed price menu, which again was excellent. The breakfast each morning was also wonderful... great choices and very filling. My husband and I did not each lunch the entire stay, lol! We also loved the 24-hour free snack and drink area. It was well stocked with bagged snacks, cookies, coffee, tea, cold soda, water and juice. It was great when going across the street to the beach to grab a snack and a cold drink.
The room we stayed in was comfortable, extremely clean and the mattress was very comfortable. The only minor problem I had was the matress of our bed was very high off the ground... I felt like the "princess and the pea." If one has bad knees or hips, the height of the mattress off the ground could be a little bit of a challenge, but don't let that put you off... I'd bring a step stool (that's how much I like the inn). The staff also are so helpful in providing suggestion regarding what to see and do while in cape may. We will definitely visit the Peter Sheild's Inn again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms #1, #2, #3 #6 and #7 are ocean front/ocean views and are a little larger. I believe a couple...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple