“Excellent Stay In Every Way”

The Peter Shields Inn
Ranked #9 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Albany, New York
“Excellent Stay In Every Way”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

The Peter Shields Inn located on Beach Ave. about 1.5 miles from the heart of Cape May. The Inn is directly across the street from a beautiful, life-guarded beach. The Inn has 9 rooms, with breakfast included. The breakfast goes from pancakes to omletts. The Inn has a happy hour of wine and cheese each day at 4pm. The restaurant at the Inn is an up-scale byob place with beautiful ocean front views. The Inn provides bicycles and beach chairs. The staff is friendly and healpful. You can't beat sitting on that fron porch.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My husband and I have been going to The Peter Shields Inn for over 10 years. We stay at the Inn at least once a year . . . we try to stay more. It is very relaxing, the staff is wonderful, the food is great and the new owners just make it even better. The new owners have recently renovated the first floor and it is beautiful!! To celebrate my husband's birthday, we had the chef's tasting menu on the second floor balcony gazing at the beach. It was very romantic and the food was delicious. We like the turn down service at night and the new outside shower is a very nice addition. Karen and Ed, Bethlehem, PA

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We have been staying at the Peter Shields Inn for eight years. It keeps getting better. Bridget is wonderful and the owners could not be more attentive. The updates are fantastic and we enjoyed the new menu. We appreciate the wonderful service, food, and amenities. We were there the same weekend that the previous reviewer complained about the pigeon. I must say the owners addressed the issue immediately. The complaining about the pigeon was by far more annoying than the cooing by the actual pigeon. We will continue to stay at the Peter Shields and could not recommend it more highly. Looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I was so excited to stay in the Rose room while attending a training for work. I planned on 3 nights of relaxation on the Beach! Unfortunately, I could not sleep because there were pigeons nested outside my window -"cooing" all night long. When I addressed it with the owners/management - they told me the pigeon was pregnant and nothing they could do but switch me to a back room that was dark and musty. I wanted the ocean front room to hear the waves of the ocean- the reason I chose this particular B and B. I was alarmed at the service since this was a top rated B and B. I did appreciate them waiving one night of my 2 nights but their solution to me was close the windows, turn the air conditioner on and turn on a sound machine! Consequently-I did not stay the 3rd night. There was no apology for the inconvenience. I knew I should have stayed at Angel by the Sea!

• Stayed June 2011
5 Thank Mermaidbutterfly
Hamilton Square
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Just returned from my weekend visit to Peter Shields for the third year and I can honestly say I enjoyed it as much as the first visit. We were greeted by Bridget who was charming and could not do enough for us. Room #2 was the absolute best! My husband and me woke up to the view of the Ocean every morning which was incredible and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The Inn has new owners and although I already loved Peter Shields I have to say this year service exceeded my expectations. Owner Jeff was a very gracious, friendly and warm host. Friends of ours also stayed at the Inn for the second year and were just as happy we were. Food was delicious! We will continue to return every year.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 14, 2011

My boyfriend and I stumbled upon this while looking for a space to have our wedding.
We went down to visit Bridget and discuss having our wedding there and look at the Inn since the renovations were completed on 2/11/11. We were amazed at how beautiful, elegant and comfortable we felt there. We picked a date for our wedding and took a stroll to the end of the walk-way on the beach where will be having the ceremony. My boyfriend then proposed (long story). We began to walk back to the Inn where Bridget had taken pictures of our moment and had a bottle of champagne waiting for us. Then we had dinner and just when I though it could not get better, it did. The food literally melted in my mouth, the short ribs were slow roasted all day and all I can say I never tasted anything like it. The filet was excellent quality and the tuna cooked to perfection. It is a BYO, but they do offer a selection of Cape May Wines and the Pinot Noir was delicious. The service was five star, the food 5 star and the atmosphere 5 star. You know you are having an amazing meal when the dinner is better than the dessert. No stomach agitation from the food either, that's worth 10 stars!
We can't wait to eat there again on our wedding day 10/15/11. We could not thank Bridget and everyone else at the Inn enough. They made our engagement night.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank monkey615
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Had a prefixed dinner menu..it was hard to choose with a nice variety. Butternut squash soup was amazing, as was the wild mushroom salad, filet and salmon Wellington. We had the gelato for dessert and it did not disappoint.

• Stayed November 2010