“THE CAPE'S WELL-KNOWN SECRET”

Avondale by the Sea
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Mercer, Pennsylvania
“THE CAPE'S WELL-KNOWN SECRET”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We make the seven-hour trip from north of Pittsburgh to Cape May each year in May and September. We find it to be a wonderfully welcoming resort with something for everyone. Since it is the oldest resort in America, many of the streets are one lane, making it difficult to navaigate in summer. But in the late spring and early fall, the room rates are down, the sales (especially in September) are fantastic, and there is no problem with traffic.
No matter when you go, you can't do better than Avondale by the Sea, located just across the street from the ocean. The staff goes out of its way to make your stay everything you want, starting with a satisfying continental breakfast each morning and continuing with a complete remaking of your room. Every hotel owner should send their staff to the Avondale to find out what customer service is all about.
The Avondale staff has a miniscule turnover rate from year to year, so they must be doing something right.
You need to make reservations early in the year, as the place is usually sold out, even when we go in May and September.
The Avondale is also right across from the new Convention Center and is within walking distance of the Washington Mall (retail business and restaurant center of Cape May).
Sunset Beach, a few wineries, bird-watching center, and a Zoo are within minutes from the Cape.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the ocean, but try for a room on the second or third floor for the best vie...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank RetiredBargainHunter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Clark, NJ
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Avondale for 6 nights in August. This was our 3rd or 4th stay there, and it continues to be a favorite destination. As has been said, the location is perfect, within walking distance of the beach, restaurants and the Washington Street Mall. The rooms have been updated recently with tile floors, which are a lot more manageable with sand, and they look very nice. We rented a suite, and the rooms were clean and comfortable, if a bit stark, but this is a beach hotel after all. The owner and his family are on site all the time taking care, and their pride of ownership shows. The pool is spotless and well supervised. Breakfast was OK, but I would prefer a few healthier selections. I would continue to highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Laura L
Chestnut Ridge, New York, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

This is our third year at The Avondale so I guess we like it. The location is perfect. They have updated 1/2 of the rooms with another 1/2 to go. Although I like the new furniture the bare floors give it a cold feel. Great idea for sand and sanitary reasons but I would add some type of throw rugs. When you get out of bed you step on cold tiles so remember your slippers. The price is not that cheap so unless you have kids that want the pool, I recommend choosing a beautiful B & B (say The Fairthorne which is gorgeous!) for your money. You can't beat the location as it is walking distance to town and RIGHT across the street from the beach.

• Stayed July 2013
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I stay her for a weekend. The staff was nice and talkative. The breakfast had many pastries and coffee. Our room was clean and the AC cooled off the room and wasn't too loud like many window models. The bathroom was tiny but clean. Housekeeping lady was nice and did a awesome job and even vacuumed the carpet(a lot of off hotel housekeeping will only vacuum if requested by guest). There is even a ceiling fan in the room. The room didn't have any décor, just basic white wall and a picture. However the bed was comfy and the chair and ottoman was also comfy. The tv is flatscreen and there is plenty of space for hanging clothes and a shelf above and a large dresser. plenty of vanity space. Parking was not a problem.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gypsyeyes_12
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We just checked In today to the Avondale by the Sea. I agree that it is across the street from the beach and it is in a very convenient location near restaurants and shops. However I agree with the previous post that the rooms are terrible. We usually stay in suites because I have two teenage boys. These suites are cold feeling and the decor is terrible. The air conditioner itself sounds like a jet engine and the room that is connected to the balcony is having a hard time getting cool at all. So one room is freezing and the other room is warm. The bathroom is tiny and yes you have to step over the toilet to get to the bathtub. The towels are old and scratchy and so are the bed linens. The flatscreen TVs are not very big. And there are only two outlets in the room to charge any of our electronics. It is not a very inviting room. I'm just bracing myself for the jet engine sound of the showers in the room above us that our previous post had commented on. While I love Cape May and we wanted to stay here on vacation to get away from Wildwood I would not stay here again. I am also not a hotel snob however for the money we paid I do expect a much nicer experience. Plus we just came from the Hershey Lodge in Pennsylvania and it was so beautiful. My own teenage boys were very disappointed when we walked into this room. They are not Hotel snobs and they could not believe that I chose this place to stay in. So now will make the best of our vacation and hopefully be busy enough so we don't have to stay here all day long.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank cathyb75
Philadelphia
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Next time I stay in Cape May, NJ, I'll stay anywhere but Avondale by the Sea. I knew we were in for a disappointment when we entered the lobby to check in. It was dated and even smelled old. The property is very conveniently located to Cape May's restaurant/shopping area, and the pool was decent, but the rooms are dated, the linens -- bedspread especially -- seemed old and worn, there is no "decor" to speak of and the lack of it makes the room seem "cold" and very unwelcoming. The bathroom, although clean, is very small and you almost have to step over the toilet to get into the shower.The towels and washcloths were rough and scratchy, the wall a/c unit was ridiculously loud, the king-size bed was lumpy, creaky and horribly uncomfortable, and when the people above us took a shower it sounded like a jet airplane was pulling into our room. We were traveling with another couple who were as unhappy in their room (Rm. 102) as we were in ours (Rm. 205), both supposedly "suites". We managed our time during our two-night stay so we spent as little time in our rooms as possible because it was depressing being in them. Although it may sound contrary to what you just read, we are not extremely picky travelers or hotel "snobs". For what we were charged for our room, we expected a much nicer experience.

Room Tip: If you don't mind stairs (no elevators at this place that we could find), stay on the 2nd or 3rd...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Barb0719
Parkersburg, WV
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We recently returned from staying 3 nights at the Avondale by the Sea. The location is great, able to walk to everything. The rooms were very spacious, and the beds were comfortable. We changed rooms after 2 nights after deciding to stay another night. the front desk was accommodating and even moved our luggage to the new room. One thing I would do different if I stayed here again is to bring a coffeepot, since breakfast doesn't start until 8 am and we are early risers. We had to go buy coffee at a coffee shop. I think I would also bring some bath towels, as the towels provided are small and kinda thin. It would be nice to have a runner of some type down the center of the room, since it seems there was sand on the floor. However, I think the hotel is a good vale and again, a great location

Room Tip: The rooms on the right side of the hotel have a better ocean view as well as the balconies are more...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple