“Anywhere but here.”

Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Philadelphia
“Anywhere but here.”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Next time I stay in Cape May, NJ, I'll stay anywhere but Avondale by the Sea. I knew we were in for a disappointment when we entered the lobby to check in. It was dated and even smelled old. The property is very conveniently located to Cape May's restaurant/shopping area, and the pool was decent, but the rooms are dated, the linens -- bedspread especially -- seemed old and worn, there is no "decor" to speak of and the lack of it makes the room seem "cold" and very unwelcoming. The bathroom, although clean, is very small and you almost have to step over the toilet to get into the shower.The towels and washcloths were rough and scratchy, the wall a/c unit was ridiculously loud, the king-size bed was lumpy, creaky and horribly uncomfortable, and when the people above us took a shower it sounded like a jet airplane was pulling into our room. We were traveling with another couple who were as unhappy in their room (Rm. 102) as we were in ours (Rm. 205), both supposedly "suites". We managed our time during our two-night stay so we spent as little time in our rooms as possible because it was depressing being in them. Although it may sound contrary to what you just read, we are not extremely picky travelers or hotel "snobs". For what we were charged for our room, we expected a much nicer experience.

Room Tip: If you don't mind stairs (no elevators at this place that we could find), stay on the 2nd or 3rd...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Barb0719

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Parkersburg, WV
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We recently returned from staying 3 nights at the Avondale by the Sea. The location is great, able to walk to everything. The rooms were very spacious, and the beds were comfortable. We changed rooms after 2 nights after deciding to stay another night. the front desk was accommodating and even moved our luggage to the new room. One thing I would do different if I stayed here again is to bring a coffeepot, since breakfast doesn't start until 8 am and we are early risers. We had to go buy coffee at a coffee shop. I think I would also bring some bath towels, as the towels provided are small and kinda thin. It would be nice to have a runner of some type down the center of the room, since it seems there was sand on the floor. However, I think the hotel is a good vale and again, a great location

Room Tip: The rooms on the right side of the hotel have a better ocean view as well as the balconies are more...
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I liked avondale because of how convienent it is right in front of the beach. The price was okay I would expect less considering there is not much to the room. I always stay at the Stockton Manor, but we figured to have a change so it was a little disappointing. Maybe if they updated the rooms I would have been more content.

• Stayed July 2012
Glenwood, NJ
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Due to unforseen circumstances, had to postpone our normal vacation plans in May. Charlie and his staff bent over backwards to reschedule under challenging circumstances to get us almost everything we would have had in may - but almost three weeks later while carrying over our deposits to the new dates. Truly appreciated. He knew I had not been well so he did little things to help us out while we were there - and we are thankful for his foresight.

As for the rooms? The carpeting is gone - the tile floors do take a bit of getting used to. The connecting doors between rooms are now history. And we want to thank Nikki for doing such a great job with our room.

This was a very important vacation to us psychologically - and the staff at Avondale by the Sea went to great lengths to ensure we were as comfortable as possible. And we will be back in our normal time frame next year, hopefully feeling a lot better - and the Martinos were prime factors in starting that better feeling off in 2013.

Room Tip: The second and third floor king suites are your best bargain IMHO.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just returned from Cape May and had to write about how much we liked this place! Pride of ownership shows here. The property was immaculate. Room was very clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. Location couldn't have been better. Great ocean view and close to historic district. Staff was friendly. Our room was on the third floor, no elevator, but Alex ran over and grabbed both suitcases and carried them up for us. Bathroom was small, but it wasn't a problem for us. Continental breakfast was a nice extra. It was served in the lobby to the side with lace covered tables giving it a bed and breakfast feel. We would definitely go back and hope to soon!

1 Thank CMB1123
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 4, 2013

First of all, I decided to move our reservations up a week due to weather. The front desk was very helpful in accomdating my request, and I was able to change my reservation (for an understandable fee). We ended up having to take a first floor king suite (rather than the original third-floor king room I booked). While the first floor suite had a minimal ocean view, this worked out since we were traveling with a two-year old and had a lot of beach stuff to lug around.

Our suite was very clean. Each room has two rocking chairs on the balcony, which we enjoyed often. I was surprised the rooms had tile floors throughout, but I guess this makes sense for a beach hotel! My complaint with this was that I always felt my feet were dirty and had sand stuck to them - even though I tried my best to clean off sand before entering the room. But - it's a beach vacation, so I must expect some sand! The shower had good water pressure and the bed was very comfortable. Our first night there we experience a lot of noise from people yelling outside late at night. We could also hear adjacent guests talking in their rooms and running water/flushing toilets. The second night we solved this by running the A/C fan while sleeping.

The location is perfect if your are looking to be centrally located in Cape May. It's located directly across the street from the beach. It's also within walking distance of the Washington Street Mall and numerous other shops and restuarants.

They offer a nice breakfast of bagels, donuts, cereal, yogurt, coffee, tea, etc. We used the pool once, which is shared with the adjoining hotel. Since we visited early in the season, the pool was quiet and we pretty much had it to ourselves.

Room Tip: If you are looking for an ocean-front view, book the 2nd or third floors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LaWhitt
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over Memorial Day weekend. Nice big parking lot in front. Had a king suite. Perfect for the two of us. Clean, efficiently furnished rooms. Bed was super comfortable. Every room has an ocean view from the balcony. We enjoyed breakfast on the balcony every morning! Breakfast was decent. Cereal, coffee, nice homemade pastries. Can't beat it! Front desk service was good. Fun, typical east-coasters with great senses of humor. Nice average-sized pool. Clean and nice chaise lounges aplenty. Location is convenient to the beach, boardwalk and shops. We'll definitely go back!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple