“Great location, good restaurant, service could improve”

La Mer Beachfront Inn
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
philadelphia
“Great location, good restaurant, service could improve”
Reviewed October 29, 2009

We've stayed here 4 years in a row for a soccer tournament and we go back b/c the location is great - beachfront but not crowded like down Beach Ave can be, heated pool, and great restaurant. The staff has been consistently unfriendly and unaccommodating as many in our groups have been turned away for not booking 3 nights. They have a business office if you need it. We always run to Wawa for coffee. Rooms are renovated and have modern kitchens with granite counters, and very large rooms. Views of the water are nice.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Delaware
Reviewed October 25, 2009

We just spent two weekend nights at La Mer for the weekend of my birthday in October. My husband and I really enjoyed it. Very nice hotel with a more than spacious room. We had what they classify as the small efficiency oceanfront in the main building. I was worried that it would feel crowded and small but was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. I'm so glad that I called last minute to see if I could get an oceanfront room. We had a side view and the weekend was supposed to be very rainy, so I figured at least we could have a full view. Well, guess what? Someone had canceled and we cashed in on that. The full view of the rolling ocean of a nor'easter was just great. Well, as great as a weekend with driving rains can be. Ha! The room was very clean with a large flat screen over by the beds and another standard TV in the living portion of the room which is separated from the bed area by a half wall. There's a small kitchenette that even includes a two burner stove in the efficiencies. It's my understanding that even in the regular rooms you have a kitchenette. It just doesn't include the stove. There's a large refrigerator and cabinets, a coffee maker, and microwave there. The bathroom is large and clean and looked as if it had been recently remodeled.

The hotel is located about 1 - 1.5 miles away from "center city" Cape May. That could be good or bad depending on your view. If you're not into the walk into town during heavy tourist season when it could be hard to find parking, then maybe this wouldn't be the hotel for you. We don't mind being a little removed. It's much quieter and the view is great!

When we were there, the hotel was offering 15% off breakfast at the Pier House which is directly in front of the hotel if you arrived before 9:00 or 10:00. They offered 15% off dinner if you arrived before 6:00 p.m. Breakfast at the Pier House was excellent and well worth the money.

I'd love to return to this hotel sometime and stay when the weather is a little warmer...and drier. It'd be nice to sit out and have a few drinks at the outside area at the Pier House and listen to the sound of the ocean.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cloudydrms
Albany, Ny
Reviewed October 13, 2009

The rooms at the La Mer were nicer than we anticipated. We had an oceanfront balcony room with a kitchennette. The rooms were newly remodeled and were kept very clean. We managed to sit on the beach which was unexpected for our fall anniversary getaway. There were even people swimming in the heated pool. The hotel is the last hotel on the main strip which is nice because it is quieter than down in the village area. We did have to drive to take in activities and meals. We did have breakfast at the hotel which was very good. We found some good restaurants and did some shopping at the Washington Street Mall. We would definitely come back to Cape May this time of year.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 6, 2009

My husband and I were married in Cape May on September 19, 2009. I have been to Cape May many times and I always wanted to stay at the La Mer after their renovation. It was also close to where we were getting married, so it was a natural choice. I wanted our guests to also stay at the hotel, so I blocked off a number of rooms. I was really surprised that they did not offer a group rate even though we had guests who filled all 28 rooms. They did not even offer to provide my husband and I with a complimentary one night stay (we stayed 4 nights) or any perks for being the bride and groom! Despite this, I thought everything was fine until we started getting complaints from our guests about the staff. We were told that the staff was rude when they called to make their reservations. They would tell our guests that only the most expensive rooms were left, when there were other less expensive rooms still available! I tried to talk with the manager about this problem, but she was rude too! In fact, she was so rude to us that I wanted to move the wedding to a different hotel! Unfortunately, it was too late to do anything.

Despite our problems with the staff, our room was absolutely beautiful! It was an oceanview room with a fairly large balcony. It was very spacious and the granite wet bar really came in handy! I loved being in close proximity to the beach too...right across the street! I had some of my wedding photos taken in the room and they turned out beautifully. The groomsmen loved the room too since it had two T.V.s (double the sports!)

Overall, I would have to say that this hotel is great for a romantic getaway for two. However, I would not suggest this hotel for large groups or wedding parties/guests. The rooms are pricey and since they don't offer a group rate or perks for the bride/groom, it is not worth it. I know of other hotels in Cape May that offer better packages for groups and their rooms are just as nice. Also, you won't have to deal with such a miserable and rude staff!

• Stayed September 2009
2 Thank smileyrose22
New jersey
Reviewed September 23, 2009

RE: Le Mer Beachfront Inn in Cape May
My wife and I stayed at Le Mer on Sept 19, 2009. We had a lovely room overlooking the ocean and decided to enjoy a nice dinner in our room. At approximately 2:30 am we woke up due to a very loud party in one of the adjoining rooms. We waited for approximately ten to fifteen minutes for the noise to subside. When it didn’t, I made my first call to the front desk-- and after a very long time hung up as no one was picking up. Several minutes later I called again explaining the problem and the manager said that there were similar problems all over the hotel that evening. I encouraged him to take a walk through our section and it would become readily apparent where the noise was coming from. It was my impression that he would take some sort of action.
The noise continued unabated for another hour, actually increasing in intensity. My wife decided to place another call to the front desk explaining the increasing intensity of noise and commotion, and asked what had been done. He responded that he had knocked on the door of the offending room and appeared at a loss for what to do next. My wife then commented that she could not imagine that others in nearby rooms were not equally upset to which he responded that she was the only one who was complaining-- in direct contradiction to what he said to me an hour before. He proceeded to hang up on her. Frustrated we gave up. Since we apparently weren’t going to receive any help from the hotels management my wife suggested we keep the blower running to drown out the noise. The disturbance lasted another hour or two before it finally subsided.
The next morning we expressed our disappointment at the front desk when we checked out. While they did validate that there had indeed been many more calls than my wife’s call, contradicting the rude, inexcusable response given to my wife the night before regarding her being “the only call” as if she had done something wrong by calling, including the admission that the police had also been called, there was no attempt to compensate us for our trouble. While Le Mer has the potential to be a great destination, we cannot and will not frequent it again because they have clearly shown an inability to control “out of control” situations, and seem to think keeping a guest up for hours is not worth the offer of a free night’s stay, reimbursement, or perhaps a dinner on the house--any sort of reasonable compensation for a miserable night. We did not request compensation, considering the price we paid for one night ($250.00) there should have been some compensatory offer made. There was noting. An apology was only made, albeit brief, when my wife brought up the problematic evening. All in all, no thank you ever again on Le Mer. Buyer beware.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank BobandbarbNewjersey
North Jersey
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Definitely a must for a family with small children. Stayed 4 nights over Labor Day weekend with a 6 month old baby. Beautiful Hotel!

CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN!! Quiet end of town... two steps from the beach... convenience of restaurant right on property (which had great food by the way)... great staff... beautiful rooms with great sights... HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

Already looking into planning our trip for next year! Loved it!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We come every year and adore this place as it directly across from the beach. The rooms are spacious and clean as well as nicely appointed furnishings. We always get the B2 rooms as they are slightly bigger than the standard. Private balcony overlooks the ocean. The Pier House restaurant is on the premises and serves up awesome culinary delights. Great cocktail bar as well. We love this place.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple