“So Very Relaxing”

La Mer Beachfront Inn
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Just came back from our 4 day stay @ La Mer. We've stayed there twice before and really enjoyed the view (from our full ocean view room), proximity to the beach, and gourmet meals at Pier House. Unlike Cucina Travel, we were advised of amenities at our check-in. However, I do agree, the interaction could have been friendlier. Front desk staff was not at all knowledgeable, when it comes to things to do in the area. The clerk did offer to print a list of events for me, most of which did not apply to the time during which we were staying. Also, between check in and check out, we had no interaction with either the cleaning crew or main office. Except for one odd instance, when we came back from the beach mid-day, and found a cleaning crew member using the phone in our room. She quickly hung up, mumbled something about having to call another room and left. We checked out room, everything seemed in order, so we just ignored the incident (glad we utilized the safe in the room).

When we visited this time, we were pleasantly surprised to see some recent additions to the amenities, that we didn't have before. The hotel offers beach tags for guests for the duration of your stay (remember to return them at the check-out, otherwise, it's $25 per tag). Also, my favorite, it that they offer beach chairs with towels and umbrellas at the beach, which are set up by the hotel staff, and are available until 4:30pm, when they collect them. Non-alcoholic beverages are available throughout the day at reasonable prices ($2 for bottle of water, or $3 for Gatorade). The Pier House restaurant also offers beach service, and the server begin walking the beach at about $12:30pm taking orders. What a wonderful improvement!
The thing that really takes the fun out of going to the beach for me is having to drag all the stuff with you, and La Mer takes care of that for you. Plus, the beach is beautiful :-)

Things to watch out for: prices. This last time that we stayed, I called La Mer directly first. The price for our 3-night stay was over $1500 total! for a side ocean view! Meaning you have to lean out of your balcony til you almost falling out to see the ocean. They advised me of the differences between various views available, as they were eager to upgrade for an additional $150/night. I asked if there were any discounts or promotions offered, to which the person on the phone said pretty much none (in the most condescending tone). I was told they give 5% off for cash payment, 5% off for AAA members, and sometimes, if you are purchasing last minute, if the hotel has a hard time filling rooms, you may get a discount.
Well, after doing my own research, I booked it at Expedia for $750!!! (plus they charged me a little over $100 in taxes upon check-in), which is still almost a half off! Needless to say, I was happy! The room wasn't all that, side ocean view w a mini-fridge, and a microwave. The room was pretty small, but clean non the less. Didn't bother me much, since we didn't go there to hang out in a hotel room anyhow. On one of our prior visit, we did stay in a full ocean view room, which, although much pricier, offered gorgeous views of the ocean, a much larger room, with a full size fridge, and a kitchen space (no stove), with nice counter top and dark wood cabinetry, with actual metal silverware (no plastic)!
Add'l notes: although they do have a grill in the pool area available for use, I have not seen anyone use it on any occasion. When we considered using it on this past visit, I found it to be absolutely filthy! I notified the front desk, and they said it'd be cleaned, but I didn't follow up. I think it would be nice, if guests had to notify front desk prior to using the grill, that way when they are done, someone would be sent to clean it, without additional requests.
All in all, we were all very happy with the experience, especially the beach service. That made our vacation so much more relaxing! La Mer is definitely the place to be, if you can get in for the right price.

The only things I would like to see improved on our future visits (and we are definitely going back), is in addition to offering beach chairs, umbrellas, and storage units, there should be equipment rentals, such as floats, skim and boogie boards, etc. I personally would rather pay a small rental fee rather than buy items, that I have to abandon at the end of my vacation because they don't fit into my vehicle. Or better yet, they can offer that an no additional cost, just like the chairs ;-)
In addition to offering 10% off at Pier House breakfast, it should be all meals.
It would be nice to be able to charge things to you room, as opposed to having to carry cash to the beach with you.
Mixed drinks and beer would be a welcome addition at the beach, I am sure.
And last but not least, front desk staff needs to be a lot more aware of local attractions and events, and readily offer that information at check-in.

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank SemitsvetiK
marakis, Manager at La Mer Beachfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Thank you so very much for the 5-star review. We love that you took the time to describe your experience in depth for other reviewers!

We are over-the-moon you enjoyed our recently added amenities such as the beach services -- and we agree, lugging one's items to the beach is no fun! We will look into providing more rentals as per your request, too.

Again, thanks for the lengthy AMAZING review. We hope you come back and see us soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I'd have to agree with most of the posters here. La Mer is a better-than-average property, especially for Cape May. Definitely pricey, but the rooms are spacious and clean. I love that it's family-friendly and that the pool is clean and quiet (without the annoying music in the background that other places play all day long). The housekeeping staff is wonderful and friendly and efficient! The refrigerator and microwave in our room came in handy. And the view from our balcony was awesome.

But as many people have noted, the front desk and check-in process needs some serious re-training. My husband and I are travel bugs; we travel several times a year with our children. Customer service is VERY important to us and the front desk makes such a big impression on us (and our kids) when we check in. Hospitality is and should be the name of the game, and at La Mer, it's not.

We were excited to start our vacation, we had just drove 3 hours; we had been working like crazy and were so happy for some family time. This is why people go away. A warm, professional welcome from La Mer's front desk would have been greatly appreciated.

The lady who checked us in, I believe her name is Beva, acts like it costs her money to even crack a smile or try to be friendly to our 3 & 5 year olds who were soo excited to be there after such a long drive. She ignored them; looked annoyed at my any question I asked (like: is this the elevator we should take - which it wasn't).

She OFFERED no information about our room, amenities like where to get towels for the pool, or that there is a coin laundry room for guests to use right next to the lobby (which would have been extremely useful to know since we were there for 5 nights with two small children!). Also, we ate at the Pier House several times and I had no idea that La Mer guests received a discount. No information was provided about the beach tags or how to get your umbrellas and chairs set up; just none of the usual friendliness and tips about the area that we normally receive at a proper check-in.

Any information I learned came from reading reviews on TripAdvisor or from other guests that we became friendly with at the pool. That is a huge fail on the part of La Mer. And I shouldn't have to spend so much of my vacation time looking things up just because your front desk is so damn unhelpful. Hospitality is your business, people are spending a lot of money in a bad economy and every little nicety counts.

Toward the end of our 6-day stay, I called once again and spoke to a man this time, at the front desk, and asked where he would recommend that we order pizza from (cause the kids were done from the beach and we wanted a night in). He stated Louie's or Tony's and that their menus were in the 'welcome book' in our room - which of course they weren't, but I got on my phone, once again, and looked up the number and menu myself and worked it out. The pizza from Tony's, by the way, was very good and was still piping hot when it was delivered to our room.

I did have one good experience with a front-desk member. I would get up every morning around 6:15 to go for a walk on the beach before the kids woke up. On one of those days, my girlfriend who was staying at Congress Hall with her family (and raved about their level of service) met me in the lobby of La Mer and we ended up talking to the tall, younger man who was on duty. He was very interested in how our stay was going, and was very sweet and wanting to be helpful. If it weren't for him, I probably wouldn't have considered returning.

I would like to go back. Overall our vacation was wonderful. I do hope La Mer makes some positive changes in their check-in process and starts giving their guests the information and welcome we deserve.

Room Tip: You can get beach towels for the pool from the front desk.
7  Thank CucinaTravel

Thank you for the review!

We will be sure to print out your review and share with the front desk as we expect and train them to be warm and accommodating. We will certainly strive to make positive changes in our check-in process and educating our staff on how to better serve you.

Again, thanks for the review and hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Very Nice Hotel. We had a full ocean view room. We usually get an efficiency, however this room had a refrigerator, microwave, a small coffeemaker with small sink and counter area. With all that I didnt really need the efficiency. We like to have breakfast in our room, so if you want something simple for breakfast this works. You would have to bring paper plates and things like that. (they provided cups/glasses/coffee mugs & dish detergent) The room had a king size bed and sofa sleeper. The bed was very comfortable and my son said the sofabed was comfortable. The room was spacious and the full ocean view was beautiful. The room was very clean. The hotel provides lounge chairs and umbrellas (free) at the beach. This was a very nice feature. I was told this on the phone, however they did not mention the towel service. Also,they did not mention the towels when I checked in. So, if you don't want to bring towels for the beach/pool, you don't have to. There is a restaurant onsite (the pier house). You can order drinks and lunch at the pool/beach. You do have to really look for the wait staff at the beach. They don't approach everyone, but if you go to the umbrella/chair stand, they will make sure one of the waitresses comes over. The food is moderately priced and we liked it. Adult beverages are overpriced, but that is typical. The hotel had wifi which extended to the beach. Cell service was a problem. That really isn't the hotel's fault. I think it's just a poor signal at that end of the beach. It would go in and out. Also, we had to turn off cell phones before we went to bed. The phone was constantly searching for service and the first night, the battery was drained by morning. (at least that's what I think was the problem)

The hotel staff, overall, was friendly. The gentleman at the umbrella stand and the young men who set up the the chairs/umbrellas were very very nice. The front desk staff were courteous but not overly friendly. There was a bit of a wait when we checked in, however there did seem to be some confusion for the people in front of us. That may have been it. When it came to us, it was fairly simple. Pay the balance and get your keys and map. Also, they give you a free trolly pass. We did not use it, but it's nice since the hotel is far down from the victorian district. If you don't want to drive and don't mind waiting for the trolly right out front.

We had a very nice stay and would go back.

2  Thank berri1963
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I came to stay Memorial Day weekend with our family of 5. The hotel staff was friendly. The rooms were (large efficiency) extremely roomy and clean. It had a full kitchen which was great and is hard to find in a hotel. We could not have asked for a better view of the clean beach. I was very impressed and will be returning.

Room Tip: The large efficiency is great for bigger families. The room has two queen beds and a sofa bed. The s...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank VACATIONQUEEN441
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Thank you so much for the glowing review! We love that you took time out of your busy life to review little ol' us. We are so happy you chose to stay with us for your Memorial Day weekend stay.

We love that you found our large efficiency spacious and clean. We are so happy you enjoyed the view, too. We are so happy you will be returning.

Again, thanks for the awesome review. We truly appreciate your kind words!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We had a "limited view room" and in fairness to the hotel they did explain to me during booking that our view would mostly be of a wall. I didn't seem to understand though that the wall was actually part of the balcony, not across the way. Make sense? Picture a cement closet which is open on one end. That little opening did offer a view of the pool and ocean though! Would be worse to have the "No View" which was next to us because their cement closet 'opening' offered only a view of our closet/balcony. Our lack of view was counter-balanced by the fact that our rate was considerably lower than those around us. I figured that with a pool and the ocean right across the street we could use the extra money in other ways.

As for the hotel itself, we had no complaints. The room was spacious, updated and very clean. The small pool was lovely with plenty of chairs during our visit over the 4th of July. I personally watched a gentleman cleaning the pool every morning of our stay and I found the pool and surrounding area spotless.

Our only complaint would be with the the front desk staff, as they are lacking in customer service ability. While they were not combative or rude, they simply did the bare minimum. For instance, they did not tell us that we could obtain pool towels at the front desk or towels from the stand on the beach which provides hotel guests with chairs and umbrellas. We saw others with towels and asked them where they got them. They also did not volunteer anything about a discount at the Pier House restaurant but the waitress told us she thought that they offer 5% off breakfast to hotel guests. Another time I called down to say that I had no cell signal, so I needed to know if there was a charge to use the room phone to call a local restaurant. The reply was "I don't know. If so, it's probably like .50. Make your call then call me to see what it costs." Another time I couldn't get the address to a venue in town. The front desk agent just told me that she didn't know the address. I asked if she had a phone book or computer (duh) and she relented and looked it up for me. Isn't the front desk supposed to be knowledgable about the area and helpful to the guests? Not so much here.

All things considered did we feel that La Mer was worth the high rates which most other ocean front properties also charge in Cape May? Yes. We would recommend this hotel for any couple, single, or family with the ability to afford it.

3  Thank beachy30069
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Thank you so much for the kind review!

We love that you found your room spacious, updated and clean. And yes, we do pride ourselves on keeping the property squeaky clean — just as you depicted in your review in regards to Joseph, our pool boy:)

We will work on educating our front desk as per your advice.

Again, thanks so much for the awesome words and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We spent 2 nights here in June. Really big rooms and really clean too. Pool is kid friendly with a big kiddie pool area. There's even drink services. The beach has chairs and umbrella amenities. There's free Wifi. The gym is brand new and has an elliptical machine. Having 2 kids,  the rooms have small fridges and microwaves which come in handy. Our room had a side ocean view and next time we would splurge for the full view. Also, I forgot my laptop charger at home and was pleasantly surprised by the business center with a printer. This place thinks of everything which is a welcome surprise on the Jersey shore.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Cecilthedonkey
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My fiance and I stayed here over the fourth of july weekend after reading up on Cape May in numerous magazines. We decided to stay at the La Mer because their website and reviews here sealed the deal. We are happy we chose to stay here because compared to other hotels in Cape May, this property is completely new and modern. The rooms are super clean (just make sure you ask for an ocean view because they views are way better than the side views). Lynn at the front desk was really helpful in picking out where to dine every night too. We liked that we could walk from the hotel's bar The Pier House to our room every night. The beach amenities are really useful as well. Def. coming back and will book an oceanfront room when we do.

• Stayed: July 2012