“Wow. Were the walls made of cardboard?”
Review of The Cape Winds

The Cape Winds
The Cape Winds
Ranked #37 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed here because it was relatively inexpensive by Cape May standards and it was a last minute booking. The place was terrible. It was fairly clean but the bed was really uncomfortable and old and we could hear conversations happening right next door. We could even hear coughing and sneezing. Only stay here if you absolutely have to. Location was also poor. It was right off a busy street.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 9, 2011

It's a shame this hotel doesn't get more attention. Its VERY clean, the staff are WONDERFUL (friendly, down-to-earth, happy) and accommodating. We're far enough away from the noise and we've never had noisy people either next to, or below us. It didn't matter that we were farther from the beach than many other motels. All we needed was a place to sleep, shower and relax........before going out again. We were comfortable. Our only criticisms are that the showerhead didn't spray properly, the beds were only full-size, and one of the chairs had a ripped cover...no biggie. This place is reasonable and nice for the small amount of time that we spend in our room. We like to hit the beaches and sight-see. :-)

Finally... a family-owned place that has charm, is peaceful, clean and is more realistic about its rates (it's what Cape May was like when I was a kid...before huge hotel corporations took over and charged ridiculous prices!!! If you aren't "high maintenance" (spa, pool, chocolates on the pillows), then try it for yourself! --You didn't really come to the beach just to stay inside most of the day, did you?

Room Tip: Room 10 has the bad shower nozzel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We were looking for a place to stay overnight so we could take the first ferry in the morning on our way to Ocean City, MD. After reading the reviews on here I decided to risk it because it was cheaper, and we had no need for any amenities like beach, pool, or on-site restaurants. The young lady managing the office was super-nice, and the place was clean. That's about all I can say.

The parking lot is gravel, with no marked spaces, and guests had parked far apart, so there was no room to park when we arrived about 7 PM. The office person told us we could park in the street or a nearby lot. I was leaving valuables in the car so I waited till someone moved out, then parked.

The first reviewer on here mentioned a very strong odor of cleaner. I stayed in room #1, and this odor - fumes, actually - were extremely strong. I opened the window but then it was hot. I ended up with a huge headache from the fumes.

Some teenage boys upstairs were clattering up and down the stairs until about midnight, then again about 6 AM.

The worst part, though, was the fact that, despite charging $165 for the room, they required a separate CASH payment of $12 for each of my two girls. They did mention this upfront but I guess it didn't register that it was CASH (doesn't that sound a little shady?) and it took a chunk out of my vacation cash. This was bad enough, but even after paying the extra $24, there were only two towels (for 4 people) in the bathroom, and by the time we noticed it, the office was closed and the staff person had gone home. If it hadn't been for this towel fiasco, I probably would not have bothered to write this review. We went on our way to the ferry and Ocean City with no sleep and no showers.

I was so angry that we had been charged an extra $24 cash for two girls, and not even given towels for them, that if I'd had time I would have looked up whatever authority controls lodging in that town.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Marilyn C
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I would like to give this place a better review. It is overall a pretty neat, clean, and cheap ($150/night when others were getting $250-300 on a Thursday night stay). Despite the room looking very clean, there was a distinct urine-like odor in the room with a recent attempt at Lysol cover-up. Were it not for that, I probably would have rated at least 4 stars.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Esteban1968
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Very Clean and very affordable and close to everything....walking distance to many resturants, shops and bars

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2010

This is the perfect place if you are on a budget and want to do an overnight in Cape May without being close to the ocean. The staff was friendly and courteous. The rooms (while small) were clean, comfortable, and consisted of 2 double beds, dresser, table & chairs, a closet alcove, tv, mini fridge and a nice bathroom. You can see the owners take care of this place. There is no phone or alarm clock in the room which was a little odd. My only solid dislike is the parking lot. It is very small and not paved. With large loose stones, people do not know how to park correctly. If you are returning later in the evening, there is a chance you may have to find street parking nearby. I did not experience hearing any traffic sounds in the room at night. It seemed like a quiet street to me.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank CapeMayDreaming
Reviewed August 24, 2007

Small motel (with even smaller parking lot) on the main drag into Cape May. Room had 2 double beds, small but functional bathroom, small refrigerator, and color TV. Parking was a challenge when the motel was full but everyone managed to fit in!
Room is typical of what you can find for a mom & pop motel - nothing fancy but functional and clean. We'll stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple