“What a treat!”

Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
A TripAdvisor Member
“What a treat!”
Reviewed June 26, 2006

I fell in love with this hotel after visiting their website and I was not disappointed with the real thing! The Macomber was exactly what I hoped it would be, old and very charming. My husband and I went to Cape May for our 1 year wedding anniversary and were first timers to the town. It was fabulous. It rained almost the whole weekend but it didn't put a damper on our trip.

The Hotel Macomber staff was pleasant and helpful, the side room we stayed in had a wonderful view of the ocean and the wrap-around front porch was a great place to relax and people-watch. We loved that we could walk or bike anywhere in town. The bike rental shop was right in the hotel on street level. Very convenient. We didn't eat at Union Park, the on site restaurant, but it smelled great and the dining room was beautiful.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who has a love of very old, historic and charming places. We will certainly be back, hopefully in the very near future.

Thank you Macomber, for making our 1st anniversary unforgettable!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Bethesda MD
Reviewed June 25, 2006

We stayed at the Macomber as a group and had 4 rooms. The good things include a great location, nice patio and clean rooms.
The not so good include sluggish staff, small roomswith no view and no handicap access. Even though the price was right compared to some other hotels, we'll try another place next time. First you can't get anyone on the phone. I tried for an entire week until somebody picked up the phone. Upon check in the man at counter did not even bother to look up at us even though we were standing there on front of him. The next day we had a question and the lady behind the desk was pretty much on the phone non-stop and it did not sound like a buisness call. She quickly answered our question and went back to her phone conversation again.
The rooms were clean but very smal and no view. With all beach gear that we had, we quickly ran out space. If you have bad knees stay away. You'll be hurting after all those steps.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank Suzanne_tc
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 15, 2006

My husband and I had a wonderful, relaxing and romantic weekend at Hotel Macomber. Our room was extrememly clean and quiet. We felt right at home! The staff was friendly and always available. If was a comfortable and "old seashore-like" hotel - just what we were looking for - lots of R&R at a low-key hotel but with a friendly atmosphere.

The location of Hotel Macomber is very centralized - walking distance to all the major sights and directly across the street of the beach.

We would go back again and again!

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gettysburg Pa
Reviewed June 13, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Maycomber to celebrate our 10th anniversary. It was a charming old building. While the staff weren't overly freindly they were not rude and helpful when asked. The front lobby is cozy and there is a dining room on the ground level but since it is quite expensive we didn't eat there. The hotel is directly across the street from the beach but the view is somewhat blocked due to the string of shops and the arcade. We had a room on the second floor, no elevator, in the front with a shared porch which is large and delightful. The room itself was just the right size for the two of us with a queen sized bed and mosquito netting, very romantic. Yes, the wallpaper was peeling in places, the hot and cold water spigets in the tub were backwards, and the wall behind the sink was not in the best condition. No cups either. There is a refrigerator down the hall which is shared by the entire floor apparently and was overstuffed with beer and other goodies by other guests, also not very clean, I wouldn't use it. However, it wasn't a bad experience but I'm not sure I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank gburgpat

Travelers are raving about these Cape May hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed May 18, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Macomber on a package. It included 2 nights, a bottle of Champagne and a $70 credit towards the Union Park Restaurant. Overall, a good deal. Check-in was pleasant enough. The room was clean. Just a bit of advice to the staff - when you provide a bottle of Champagne, it would be nice to not have to go searching for a glass to put it in. I went to the man at the front desk to ask for glasses and he said I needed to go through the restaurant for them. Luckily, the lady who checked us in was in the restaurant at the time showing some potential customers the facility for a wedding. I had to wait a bit for her but eventually she came out into the hotel lobby area and handed me a couple of glasses from a cabinet in the sitting room. She said they were clean. They were NOT clean and still had remnants of a prior liquid in the bottom. The man at the desk certainly could have assisted me in obtaining these dirty glasses but he chose to remain seated and ignored me. Having said that, I would like to comment on the Union Park Restaurant and how incredible the food and service was. I would definitely go back to the restaurant but pass on the hotel.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank clcelia
Roxbury NJ
Reviewed September 22, 2005

Stayed there the weekend of the Sept 19, for $65.00 for a very clean room and bath, very good service and across the beach and a very short walk to the mall a real bargain, Union Park Restaurant is fantastic on the lower level

2 Thank Robert B
New Jersey
Reviewed September 13, 2005

Overall a good stay. Great location. the only downside was that the air conditioning was not working in our room and it took them a day to get it working. Rooms were clean.

• Stayed June 2005