“A big waste of time!”

Hotel Macomber
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Stroudburg
Reviewed July 31, 2005

I've stayed at the Macomber several times and loved it! It is very affordable, charming and I love being near the ocean. Last week, I called and asked if by chance they had any vacancies for a Friday night, because my parents wanted to meet us for dinner. The woman I talked said that infact they do and told me of the different rooms I could stay in. I gave her my address and credit card number and asked what time she would be expecting me. So far so good right? WRONG!

I give my name to check in and the woman said...I'm sorry we have NO reservation for you. I said how can this be I just called a couple days ago and reserved a room. She said matter of factly, you must be mistaken and called somewhere else! I said I don't think so, I've been here a couple times before I know that I called here on Tuesday. (Plus the woman has an unmistakable accent, I recognized she had the same voice as the woman on the phone.) She starts being belligerent towards us yelling that she is the only one that works from 3pm until the end of the night and that she does not remember my name and is POSITIVE she never talked to me! I was trying to being polite I didn't want to argue, I just wanted a room to stay in since it was getting late to try to find another hotel.

So, then you aren't going to believe this....she says she bets I have a room somewhere else waiting for me. She then proceeds to call area hotels to see if I have a reservation there. So we are standing there a half hour now while all the while she keeps saying to us "I know you never called me here." She was acting like I was lying or something...I mean really do you think I would take off a day of work and drive 4 hours to a place with no reservations. So now she's done calling and found no other reservation...(that's because I called her)! I said okay I guess we will just go look for another place to stay, thank you. Then she says well we do have several rooms open....I was thinking ARE YOU KIDDING ME...all this and you have rooms open what a waste of time, what a lack of customer service skills all to prove a point?! So I took the room because it was getting late but it ruined my whole trip and she sneered at me every time I walked past her. I keep thinking how I would have handled the situation. I mean whether or not the customer called you still have to be polite and say you are sorry there must have been a mistake can I offer you another room. You never blame people even if you knew without a doubt you were right. I won't go back there again and it's a shame because I did really like it. So, word of advice if you go....you better tape your phone reservation as evidence.

• Stayed: August 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded June 19, 2006

In response to the long review og Aug 1, 2005. I wish to point out the First 2 sentences of the letter. The guest had stayed with us SEVERAL times and "loved it". Therefore to judge us solely on this one incounter- which the miscommunication was resolved, I feel is incorrect. The steps taken were not the best , but she did get a room in the end.
We do our best to be clean, affordable and friendly. We realize guests do not tleave their life problems at home when they come to get away from it all. We DO try and help them to forget them and just relax and cool off!
Non of us in the industry are robots programed to be perfect. We can only do our best. The reservationist is no longer with the hotel if that puts any of our future guests at ease. It surely does us!

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed July 17, 2005

I don't know why people complain about this hotel, do they not realize that it is very old, and the hotel staff cannot help that there is an arcade blocking the view. I truly enjoyed my trip i even went on the ghost tour ( Desiree) our tour guide was very good at what she was doing. i did the tour on the 4th of July, our tour guide had mentioned that there was only one tour that night due to the fact that there would be fireworks, ( which i must say, due to the clouds they were somewhat disappointing) but anyway... I loved the Hotel Macomber and would definatley stay there again, and again. i will also recommend it to my friends and family. thank you

• Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wappingers Falls
Reviewed June 12, 2005

Having spent a recent weekend at the Macomber, I wish to share some of my concerns in the spirit of constructive criticism. On the plus side, the hotel was clean and an interesting walk back into history which I thoroughly enjoyed. I do realize that it is an old establishment and I expect and accept that as such, things can go wrong. However, it is the beginning of the summer season and it was apparent to me that ordinary maintenance and necessary upkeep does not seem to be a priority. The doorknob to the bathroom kept falling off, the window came out when we tried to push it up, the wall was coming apart under the bathroom sink, there was paper in a locking mechanisn to hold the lock in place on a door.
We wanted to share this information in a helpful way with the receptionist on duty but as of 8:40 AM, there was still no one on duty.

Stayed: June 2005
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 21, 2005

Let me say that the Hotel Macomber is in tip-top shape! I just returned with my best friend from a mid-week getaway and what a getaway it was! We arrived on Monday, May 16th at about noon and just popped in to see if we could check-in early. The hostess/innkeeper, Crystal, greeted us with warmth and graciousness and allowed us to move in early, given that our room was ready for us before the prescribed 2:00 check-in time. As we approached our room (room 24 on the second floor of the hotel), I knew we were in for a treat--the finely-appointed hallways, resplendent with pinks, burgundies, Stickley chaises, and detailed, period wallpaper, set the scene for a heralded entrance into our room...and we were not disappointed! The furniture was all fresh, white whicker, and while this material is not my favorite, it was in pristine shape and fitted the seashore setting to perfection. Upon entering the room, my eye was inexorably drawn to the romantic netting which graced the canopy of the ample king-sized bed. We, as were the other reviewers, were delighted by the richness of the new bedding and drapery fabrics--a flowered confection of pale yellow and cabbage roses--inobtrusive, but fresh and classy. The room itself, while not advertised as having on ocean view, affforded us a partial, yet sumptuous sideways glimpse of a crescent of beach. We were also struck by the openness of the room itself and the painstaking cleanliness of the petit, yet ample bathroom and the bedroom itself. We slept comfortably and soundly on the soft pink linens and supportive matress. All in all, our experience was one of seaside class and graciousness--a living testament to the nostalgia of hospitality which is alive and well in the glittering gem of the Jersey Shore, Cape May!

• Stayed: May 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 17, 2005

We have been staying at the Macomber for over 10 years! It is OUR escape place. Our most recent stay was my Mother's Day gift from the family! We noticed, as soon as we entered our room, the new magnificent Bedspreads and window treatments. The rooms are very relaxing and clean. The owners ARE updating every year. I don't know what the last reviewer was looking at, unless they usually stay at the Ritz! Perfection is not attainable anywhere in this world. A historic hotel is always going to have its share of quirks. In Cape May they call this CHARM! Just let someone know and they will fix things. If they don't know it's broken how can they fix it?! THEY DO HAVE AC. The staff is always friendly and knowlegable about the town, and the location is PERFECT. We have never had trouble with parking either. If the lot is full, free parking ,on the street ,is 1 block away! Cape May is not that big, so walking, to most places, is a few minutes. I know most of us can use the exercise too!
We like to visit when schools are still in session! The rates are usually cheapest, around 65 during the week and not much over 100 on the weekends. Can 't beat that in Cape May.

You must have dinner in the Dining Room on site too! Union Park! The quality, service and atmosphere are right on the button. Just make sure you don't eat a late lunch because the portions are not bird size like normal fine dining. I recently had Elk for the first time-mmm and the mussles for an appetizer and Hubby had the Scallops and prawns!

I like to tell my friends: When you stay at the Macomber- relax, eat, sit on the porch and go with the flow. It's an anti aging remedy!

Stayed: May 2005
11  Thank Beautiful6
Reviewed May 9, 2005

We had a pleasant visit to the Hotel Macomber in early May 2005. Our double room with bath was on the 3rd (really 4th) floor of the hotel, with a side view to the ocean. It wasn't a large room, more of a European size, with one large bed and two chairs. We were treated courteously, and had a pleasant experience. My only complaints are that the hotel doesn't seem to have had much recent upkeep, and the fixtures/decor are pretty chintzy (which, given that it's a shore hotel, may be expected). In particular, in our room, the wallpaper was peeling (particularly in the bathroom), and pretty much all fixtures were plastic or wicker, and didn't seem to be of good quality. That said, for the price, with a view of the ocean, we were pleased. Note that I don't think the hotel has an elevator, and they also say that they do not have off-street parking available for all their rooms, so you may want to try to confirm a parking space in advance if it's a busy time of year.

• Stayed: May 2005
11  Thank troz
Reviewed October 10, 2004

We were supposed to go to New Orleans, but tropical depression Matthew rained on our plans. The other couple we were going with suggested that the 4 of us visit Cape May, NJ. I hadn't been in years and my husband (a South Jersey native) last went there in elmentary school. We made our decision the day before we were supposed to leave and scrambled to find a place.
The Hotel Macomber was great! We got a room for $65 (we had to share the hallway bathroom, but didn't mind this for the price) while our friends (who wanted their own bathroom) paid $75 a night. We really lucked out because it was also Victorian week. I want to mention that I would not take our rooms in the summer because they did not have AC.
The rooms were clean, the porch was lovely to sit at and the ocean view was magnificent. We also recommend eating at the restaurant in the hotel called Union Park. Fantastic food! Also everything was truly in walking distance or you could get a trolley.
I miss New Orleans, but got a very relaxing, cost effective vacation.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member