“Great location”

Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
New Windsor, Maryland
“Great location”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend. We stayed in one of the smallest rooms, as that was all that was available, but seeing as we spent very little time in our room, that didn't matter too much. I loved the location, as it was walking distance to the mall and beach. On site parking is a definite plus.
The walls are very thin; we heard our neighbor's conversations. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, and the bathroom door didn't close properly.
Overall, I would stay here again because of its location and affordability.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
South Jersey
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I first stayed at the Macomber in July of last year. My best friend and I were looking to get away for the weekend. After searching many shore towns and many hotels, we came across the Macomber. The price was unbelievable for a hotel directly across from the beach and in the middle of summer. We enjoyed our stay so much that we returned this summer with a third friend. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is superb. There is a breakfast place downstairs, an excellent pizza place around the corner (Lou's, I think it's called) and it's within walking distance of everything. We parked the car when we got there and moved it when we left. (comes in handy when you're bar hopping on Beach Ave - just sayin'...) All in all, I love this hotel and I cannot say enough about it. I would definitely stay here again. Can't wait for next summer!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Sellersville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 22, 2011

love this old historic hotel
great price and location
comfortable and clean
friendly and helpful staff
great restaurant
front porch is fabulous

1 Thank J0anne123
PA
Reviewed August 21, 2011

My wife, niece and I stayed here for 3 nights. The location is excellent and the staff was nice but the room was old, dated and cramped. We had a double and a single bed and was difficult for 3 adults to stay there comfortably especially with the funky smell. The door to the bathroom didn't work appropriately and the cheap wicker furniture needs to be replaced. Everything from the bedding to the towels and any clothes left in the room was damp all weekend. We realize that this place is directly across the street from the beach but $220 per night for this room was highway robbery. No breakfast is offered. In a town full of B&B's you'd think they at least offer cup of coffee and a muffin. Cheap and non existent toiletries were ridiculous. No shampoo in the shower, really!! And noisy - people partied outside our room until early in the morning. There is no way to complain because the front desk is not staffed from 9 PM to 9 AM. People in Cape May are just plain rude.. When driving no one lets you merge in front of them and everyone pulls out front of you. No one is polite on the streets. Kids don't hold the door for elderly. Adults will just cut in front of you in line and push you out of the way on the sidewalk. Learn some manners and relax. This is supposed to be a vacation destination. Do yourself a favor and stay in one of the wonderful B&Bs in Cape May. They at least know how to treat someone on vacation. Remember that it is $5 per person per day to go to the beach and the restaurant food is expensive and average at best.

Tip: Order food from Lucky Bones restaurant:, find a dead end street on the water and enjoy your meal in a gazebo at one of the small parks.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank toughnlcentral

Travelers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Northern New Jersey
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here the first weekend in August. Room was on the small side, (bathroom too) but super-clean and graciously furnished. (new fixtures in bathroom) Location across the street from the beach can't be beat. Although there was no work going on during our stay, the town is building a new convention center
across the street, which looks like it has the potential to be quite noisy.
Close to great restaurants as well,
including the one in the hotel,
which was delicious (byob was a
plus). Lobby was charming, and
staff members were pleasant and
courteous. Would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank travelingmama08
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed August 10, 2011

The Hotel is located right on the beach and is also just a few blocks from the center of town. Just like the rest of the Hotels and B&B's in Cape May, this Hotel is old and historic. It is a 3 story Hotel without an elevator, so if you are staying on the 3rd floor (like we did) be prepared for a workout from the steps (not that bad though). Hotel staff was great, room nice and clean, and a nice big porch to sit on. Would definitley reccommend because the LOCATION is PERFECT!!!

Room Tip: Book room 1 or 2 and you will have a private balcony.
2 Thank Stephen C
New Jersey
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I booked the Macomber on short notice to attend the lifeguard championships. The Macomber was very accommodating, first in giving us a room for one night only (on a weekend,) and then in making sure we had a room that could fit my son as well, who I had forgotten would want to come with us.

Our room was on the first floor (so up one flight of steps) and was clean and comfortable. The shower was very large and clean as well. Even though we slept on the first floor on a Friday night, I didn't hear any troublesome sounds at all.

We checked in just before dinner and I had to move the car to the street the next morning and pay for parking since we were going to be on the beach all day - but the lot is not large enough to hold more cars than there are rooms, so I didn't have a problem with that. They will allow you to leave the car there for a couple of hours past checkout.

Although we had little interaction with the staff, they seemed pleasant. I was just so happy to have a place to stay, and the porch was delightful, even if we didn't have much time to enjoy it!

Overall for the price, this is a great place to stay and I would gladly return, hopefully with more time for leisure. The only amenity I missed was the coffee - and I was glad to go to the coffee shop down in the corner of the hotel, but they opened almost half an hour late, and to long lines!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family