“Loved the Alcott”

Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
New York
“Loved the Alcott”
Reviewed September 23, 2007

The hotel Alcott is an excellent alternative if you like a little bit more of a hotel feel than the bed and breakfasts in the area. The service is extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms have probably some of the most comfortable beds that I have slept in. The mattresses were just upgraded this year to pillowtop mattresses. In the morning you come down to newspapers and continental breakfast, which includes the most amazing croissants that we have ever eaten
(toasty and flaky) There is no parking, so you will have to park a couple of blocks away or pay for a meter outside the hotel, which costs 25 cents for 20 minutes between the hours of 10:00 AM and 10:00 PM. Not a big deal.

Stayed September 2007
5 Thank fef5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
tenafly
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Very cute little place... Has a Victorian charm about it, along with the benefits of the 21st century (modern bathrooms, plasma tv's). However, during my weekend stay there were two weddings taking place, so these events overran the hotel. If you want to check out their acclaimed restaurant, don't book your stay during a wedding weekend.. It was closed the entire weekend I was there due to the wedding bonanzas. Also, the quaint lobby became part of the wedding receptions/pictures/set-ups, etc. Oh, and the NOISE from the reception! Yikes! I couldn't even relax. I felt secondary to the wedding event. My advice: Check what is being planned that weekend with the hotel before you book and work around it.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — hotel overrun with weddings!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank apple613
New York
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Booked 2 rooms at the Alcott for 4 nights in mid august.....1 room with queen size bed and another with 2 queen size beds......180 per night for first and 230 per night for second......the room with single bed was way too small...eventhough the bed, flat screen tv and nice bathroom helped.....the room with 2 queen size beds was a good size and much more comfortable......both rooms had zero views.....the daily breakfast was excellent....the staff were extremely friendly and the hotel serves hot cookies with lemonade during afternoon.......cape may is beautiful but if you go in the summer, you want a terrace overlooking the ocean, a swimming pool and a fitness center....all things this hotel didnt have.......i felt it would be a great place offseason but in FULL summer it felt way too stuffy with all the victorian furniture and ambience.......ov erall its a great hotel with great people, etc but for my tastes, i would prefer a more modern hotel on the ocean........oh, and the hotel is 2 blocks from beach.....very easy quick walk.......and they give out very nice beach towels daily.......so, if you are willing to deal with limitations above and still pay a PREMIUM price, go for it.....otherwise, Congress Hall looks amazing!

• Liked — Daily breakfast
  • Disliked — No Pool/No Fitness Center/No Views/No balcony
  • Stayed August 2007
2 Thank MHillqt
fluke19
Reviewed June 28, 2007

We have stayed at the Alcott before and always loved it. Our latest stay was just a few weeks ago and the changes they have made are phenomenal. The new beds and coverlets are so comfy, I hardly wanted to leave the room! Flat screen Tv made my husband hardly want to leave the room! The new tile, rugs, even curtains are really tasteful and elegant! Their breakfast and refreshments are always yum! Dining in their restaurant has always been top notch and has not faltered one bit! The location is ideal for a walk to the shopping area and what... like a block from the beach! OK, the parking may be a little dicey sometimes but, I park the car and never touch it till I leave! Who wants to drive around in Cape May anyway?? Not me! Thier staff is always really helpful and they pretty much know all there is to know about town. if not ,they'll find out for you. Everyone is really warm and pleasant and want to do what they can so you have fun!
It really doesn't get better than this for me! So go... have fun!

• Liked — friendly, attentive staff
  • Disliked — short stay
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank fluke19
Southern NJ
Reviewed June 21, 2007

My wife and I are regular visitors to Cape May. We try to make it down to Cape May 3 to 4 times a year. Normally, we stay at one of the Select Registry Bed and Breakfast Inns, or one of the top rated B & Bs on Tripadvisor.

I was in desperate need of a getaway this week, and I saw the Hotel Alcott's ad in the Philadelphia Inquirer, which stated that they had rooms mid week starting at $110 a night. At this time of year in Cape May, that rate is an absolute bargain for a nice place.

This is a beautiful old hotel that has been nicely restored. The hotel dates back to the 1800s but the renovation took place fairly recently, judging by the overall condition. I'm guessing but it had to be restored within the last 10 years.

First, I'll list the positives:

1) It is a beautiful hotel. It has old world charm without being overly Victorian. The pictures on their website will give you a nice feel for the place.

2) The rooms are nicely furnished and very comfortable. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've slept on in Cape May. I'm normally an early riser who jumps out of bed at 6:00 a.m (even on vacation) but my bed was so comfortable I just had to get an extra hour in it!!! The room had a large flat screen TV too, which was nice for the one rainy day we had.

3) The location is perfect!!! The hotel is 1 block to the beach, 2 or 3 blocks from the pedestrian mall which is filled with shops and restaurants. If you are able bodied and can walk even short distances, you'll be able to see most everything with little effort. Also, this is a relatively quiet part of town, so you'll get a quiet stay but still be within a short walk of most everything. I didn't hear any street noise at all during my stay.

4) The restaurant, la Verandah, is fabulous! It is a beautifully decorated room that serves gourmet continental cuisine. I've dined at most of the finer restaurants in Cape May and la Verandah is right up there with the best of them. The Philadelphia Inquirer's food critic raved about this place a few years ago, as did the Atlantic City Press, and I can see why. I had a fabulous dinner. It was not cheap but it was not overpriced either. Don't miss the opportunity to dine at this restaurant!

5) Service at the hotel was very pleasant, from the front desk to the housekeeping staff.

In fairness, even though I did not experience any negatives during my stay, I'll list potential problems this place could present:

1) There are no elevators in the building so you will have to walk up either one or two floors to get to your room. If you are unable to walk up a flight or two of stairs and carry your own bags, then this would not be a good place for you to stay.

2) Parking could be problematic. I had no problems during my stay ( I got a spot within 20 feet of the building on a non-metered side street). My first day, I had to circle the hotel a couple of times to find a spot, but once I did, the car stayed parked the entire time I was there. If you've been to Cape May before, you konw that parking can be problematic. Since this hotel is in a fairly quiet location, it might be a little easier to find a spot than if you were staying right in the heart of the historic district.

3) You might hear a little sound from a room next door or above or below you. I guess this can't be helped in a building that dates to the late 1800s but it's not like there are any wild parties going on in the rooms here.

Let me reiterate that I had no problems whatsoever with this charming hotel. I can't wait to go back!

• Liked — The overall charm and la Verandah, the restaurant
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
8 Thank MisterBlues
central PA
Reviewed June 2, 2007

Very relaxing place for weekend after Memorial Day, soft beds, great balcony. Rooms are small, parking is off-site, if you can't deal with that, go elsewhere. We found the staff extremely accommodating, the location great for seeing downtown, and overall we would recommend this hotel for short visits.

• Liked — balcony
  • Disliked — off site parking
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank victorypa
Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed April 19, 2007

After staying one weekend here with my fiance, we both agreed we had to go back immediately!! The Hotel Alcott is the perfect Cape May getaway. Beach is block and half away, restaurants, outdoor mall, all within walking distance, beautiful Victorial hotel (with fabulously new and pristine bathrooms!). My lad loved the impressive flat screen-- I loved our balcony with rocking chairs, slight breeze and beautiful ocean view. We've already booked our stay for Fourth of July weekend and a weekend in August, we might be a little obsessed..you would be too! This hotel has it all..

• Liked — Cleanliness, completele renovated, beautiful hotel and awesome location
  • Disliked — It was almost too perfect..
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple