“A True Victorian Charm!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Alcott

and 1 more site!
Hotel Alcott
Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
New Jersey
“A True Victorian Charm!”
Reviewed August 7, 2006

I stayed at The Hotel Alcott just recently for July 4th weekend and I was really impressed. The hotel itself is just magnificent, the rooms are wonderful ( I believe they just recently added the beautiful flat screen tvs!), and the service was friendly and warm. The beach is just literally seconds away and so is the town, shopping, and restaurants. In the afternoon, there is tea time with home-made cookies and tea, and also coffee. During the night, my three kids and wife dined at La Verandah, the restaurant within the hotel and thought the food was mouth-watering and sumptious. i do not see what the people in the negative reviews are complaining about . I absolutely adored this victorian charm. This was my first time at The Hotel Alcott, but most definitely not the last!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early during the summer because these rooms go quick!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank DanielH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Wisconsin
Reviewed August 1, 2006

I found that I really liked this hotel. We went down to Cape May without a reservation (so completely not smart) and luckily for us there was a cancellation at this hotel. I don't really agree with the last review as the hotel does have parking. It was a few blocks away but the front desk guy directed us to the hotel's parking lot. I thought everything was really great. My room was on the first floor and I swear the ceiling in that room was two stories tall (HUGE vaulted ceilings) that's the only room in the house that has that though. We also had a seperate sitting room which was great in the mornings when we brought some stuff from the continental breakfast back to the room with our coffee and the newspapers they provided to us. This room was a suite though so I can't speak as to the regular rooms. I had plenty of chairs though. I liked the library a lot - thought it was a great touch. The restaurant was all booked up with reservations so we didn't get to try it out which was disappointing but we did show up last minute so i guess I can understand that. I would recommend this hotel most definately.

• Liked — How close it was to the beach
  • Disliked — Not getting to eat at the restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — book ahead of time because getting the last room at the last minute makes the rate go up
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Drea1212
Minnesota
Reviewed July 19, 2006

Highly overpriced for what you get. No parking, no elevator, no help offered to carry luggage (we had to demand the help and got a funny look), and no chair in the tiny room--I really hate hotels/motels where your only option is to sit on the bed. And all this for $250 per night. This was supposed to be the part of the trip where we pampered ourselves, but it really wasn't any better than the motel where we stayed for only $80 per night.

• Liked — Location--only 1 block from the beach.
  • Disliked — Price for what is essentially a motel accomodation.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MK99

Travelers are raving about these Cape May hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 23, 2006

I stayed at the Hotel this past summer with my husband for a week. It was a simply pleasant experience. Yes the rooms are on the small side, but what i don't think most people know is that the Alcott has been in Cape May for the last 100 years. If you want history you got to deal. And the bathrooms are larger than most -- it was suprising.

The staff was extra friendly, breakfast is included, and its as close to the beach as you can get. They also have an amazing restaurant downstairs, I forget the name, but its some of the best and most reasonably price food in Cape May. I would definatly recommend going there.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
staten island, ny
Reviewed January 15, 2006

I stayed at the Hotel Alcott with my fiance for a 3 day trip (mid week) to cape may, in August 2005.
It is a really cute place, nice big staircase, small & quiet, what more can you ask for, we parked the car a couple blocks away and didnt get it until it was time to leave. The room we stayed in was the smallest for $150.00 i'd say it was worth it, only because thats about the cheapest price in cape may and at last minute whos going to argue we wanted the privacy of a hotel not a b&b. The room was clean & super close to the beach and there was free breakfast in the morning. the bathroom was actually larger than i expected for the tiny room we stayed in, next time i'll pay the extra $25 for the standard size hotel room. our room - you walk in and the door almost hits the bed , there was a large armoir next to the bed so close it was akward to watch tv, and there was just a little closet bar for hanging clothes. i would really advise against the tiny room for 2 people. but we didnt complain at all, these are all afterthoughts. i highly recommend the hotel alcott.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank Nadine H
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 10, 2006

I just wanted to tell everyone that The Hotel Alcott was a wonderful place to stay and that I would definitely recommend it to anyone that is planning on coming to Cape May. I've been to Cape May several times before and my family and I have tried out many places, but none compare to The Hotel Alcott. I have three kids all under the ages of eleven, and they said that they had a blast and that they loved the hotel. It's not even a block away from the beach and the Victorian mall as well. The staff was excellent and extremely friendly. There is a delightful restaurant downstairs called La Verandah with amazing food. When I come back to Cape May next year, I'll definitely come back to The Hotel Alcott.

• Stayed September 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
SAN FRANCISCO, Ca.
Reviewed October 25, 2005

Cape May is full of great cute B&B's and The Alcott is a motel plain and simple. The rooms are small and bathrooms similar to an airport Holiday Inn. The Hotel has no view to speak of and Cape May is on miles of open beach, go figure. The floor in my room was actually slanted and the rooms are very small even for one person.I was on floor two and getting luggage to my room over athe weight of a backpack was a difficult task.

The Hotel had very few amenities, No bar, No room service, no bellman, no parking, however the one bright spot was the food for the wedding I attended was good, other than that not much to write home about. The front porch looks right at a ugly apartment building.... I wish I was looking at the beach! You will too if you stay here.

• Stayed October 2005