“Much Better elsewhere”

Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
SAN FRANCISCO, Ca.
“Much Better elsewhere”
Reviewed October 25, 2005

Cape May is full of great cute B&B's and The Alcott is a motel plain and simple. The rooms are small and bathrooms similar to an airport Holiday Inn. The Hotel has no view to speak of and Cape May is on miles of open beach, go figure. The floor in my room was actually slanted and the rooms are very small even for one person.I was on floor two and getting luggage to my room over athe weight of a backpack was a difficult task.

The Hotel had very few amenities, No bar, No room service, no bellman, no parking, however the one bright spot was the food for the wedding I attended was good, other than that not much to write home about. The front porch looks right at a ugly apartment building.... I wish I was looking at the beach! You will too if you stay here.

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank mbusa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New Jersey
Reviewed October 21, 2005

My husband, my parents and I stayed at the Hotel Alcott a couple of years ago and unless they completly renovated the rooms, I don't know what the high praise is all about. The front porch was nice and the lobby had a Victorian feel. But that Victorian feel disappeared as soon as we entered our rooms. The rooms had more of a "standard motel" feel. And if you are going to feel like you are in "standard motel", you should pay motel prices.

Try another hotel....

• Stayed December 2003
5 Thank Stacey211328

Travelers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Reviewed August 8, 2005

We have 3 young children who are well travelled but all under the age of 7. Anyone with young kids (especially boys) knows that there is some excess energy there! We chose the Alcott primarily due to the fact that our trip from Toronto was last minute and it was the best available in proximity to the beach. The cleaning staff worked hard and were very pleasant but our bathroom shower curtain was definitely in need of a wash. The room was not large but this IS a 100 plus year old facility, it comes with the territory. The continental breakfast featured yummy and very fresh pastries and a 4 cereals as well as coffee and tea. The hot water container for tea was hot, never boiling which is an issue for tea or mixing baby's cereal. Our primary service complaint involved the young man and the desk most afternoons/evenings. Although pleasant our requests for a plug for the bathtub fell on deaf ears. We wanted to bath our children but after 3 requests we were ignored and were left with the shower. For the money ($220 per night) we would not return to this facility.

Stayed August 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 12, 2005

I would love to let the public know that the Hotel Alcott is a terrific place to stay while in Cape May. Who cares if there is no offstreet parking. EVERYONE IN CAPE MAY WALKS !! Park your car and forget about it. Hardly any place has onsite parking available anyway. It is a prime location to all shops , restaurants and the beach is a block.... a BLOCK away. A 3 block walk to the Washington Street Mall ! The promenade (boardwalk) is one block away. TV???? yeah they have it. But you are in Victorian Cape May....who needs it anyway ? And so what if it's not your plasma screen like at home. Wake up in the morning and pop down for breakfast. Afternoon tea social on a lovely veranda during the day. Gourmet dinner accomodations till 10pm, and just charge it to your room. Primo seating for guests of the Hotel as well. You wanna go to Congress Hall ... go ahead and spend over $300.00 a night. For what ?...a pool and onsite parking 2 blocks over ? Gimmee a break . The Atlantic Ocean is less than 300 feet away for Petes sake. I have been vacationing in Cape May since childhood and now I bring my own family here. The decor of the Alcott is lovely and they have very clean rooms! STAY HERE AND ENJOY !!!!!!

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 29, 2004

I've never written a review of a hotel although I do utilize the reviews on TripAdvisor.com to help me decide where to stay. I felt compelled to write about the Alcott because of all the silly gripes I've read about it. My family decided to go to Cape May for Labor Day weekend and stayed at the Alcott per the recommendation of my nephew and his wife. The place is beautiful and decorated with an eye for detail. The rooms are a decent size (especially for Cape May) and as far as the size of the television, as one of the complainers on this posting thread whined about, show me a hotel in Cape May that provides a huge home theatre. I found the hotel staff to be lovely. Although we did not eat in the hotel, we did partake of the continental breakfast and found it to be fair. Most of the hotels we've stayed at in Cape May don't provide a complimentary breakfast so this was a pleasant change. As far as parking is concerned, we parked on the side of the hotel one night and found metered parking the other days. As the hotel is so close to the beach we found we didn't really need the car at all during the day AND the hotel provided us with beach tags and beach towels. I'm not surprised the hotel didn't make mention of the parking situation as I'm not familiar with hotels that advertise what they DO NOT have. If that were the case then the Lafayette where we stayed the previous year should have advised us that they do NOT have a hot tub. Pure silliness. Overall, I found the whole stay to be wonderful and relaxing. All the complaining on this site seems to be made by people who seem difficult to please anyway. The Alcott is definitely a wonderful hotel.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 24, 2004

My Wife and I, book a five day vacation at THE ALCOTT HOTEL and when we arrived, there was no parking at the hotel and never stated to us that there was no parking. Upset, talked to the Manger and General Manger, they could'nt care less and would not refund our money. We stayed under protest and found a parking space five blocks away. We could not use the vehicle for five days,because we would loose are parking spot that we luckly found or would have had to metered park at approximately $10.00 a day. The morning Coffee was cold and the room TV was to small.HIGHLY DISAPOINTED AS GUESTS OF THE ALCOTT HOTEL.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 19, 2004

Could be a real nice off the beaten path alernative to busy inns closer to the center of Cape May but this hotel comes up short. We did not get the type of room we were assured of when we made our reservation. Instead we were shuffled off to a first floor room across from the housekeeping facilities, the main air conditioning intake, and with windows smack on the street. Ants crawling around by the windows and no wonder after I found a box of ?? days old cookies on top of the dresser. We were assured at checkin that this room, less than 100 feet from the lobby would be quiet. Wrong again. Terrible mattress led to little sleep and sore back.

For a hotel that caters to families with small children, the restaurant is outright hostile to small children. Although reservation was taken with a high chair, we were later told "we don't require them (kids) to eat". Well, we sure do. Service was abrupt and not friendly at all, not up to Cape May standards. Where else do you get a full lobster without shell cracker and bib? Breakfast was a weak attempt at continental with no service at all.

Too bad this place isn't better, potential is there for a great historic hotel but obviously corners are cut everywhere.................

10 Thank hibs2017