“Nice Room Wrong Night” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
“Nice Room Wrong Night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We called last minute, and since there are very few hotels in Cape May with King sized beds, we thought this would do just fine. Parking was not a big deal since it was off season. We were however very disappointed that we weren't warned that there was a reception being held literally below our room! When we came in at 9:50PM and heard all the music and loudness, I went up to the lobby desk, and said to the attendant "you didn't warn us", he said "we have a lot of these, it will be over at 10:30" then turned on his heel and walked away. I was NOT happy. So, 10:45PM the music stopped. The party-goers continued until just after midnight. Also, the configuration of bathroom was odd and poorly designed. When you opened the door, you couldn't enter the bathroom without squeezing past the door you just opened. The toilet was directly in front of the door, and made it difficult to go for a quiet jaunt to the potty in the middle of the night. Dan, that booked us into our room was vey nice , but we do wish he had warned us about the wedding as well. The bed was very comfortable, one lamp didn't work, there were obvious blemishes from it being a very old structure. The toilet seat wouldn't stay up for my husband, so we had to move the tank cover back toward the wall further to make room for the ill-fitting seat. The vanity had one sink, but the counter seemed unusually deep and made it hard to put on my makeup, and that was the only mirror in the room. It would have been nice to have a full length mirror, maybe other rooms had one. We won't be staying there again. The cost was steep even in the off season, and I'd prefer to stay in a quiet hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if they are hosting a wedding reception or other event! Ask for a quiet location...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sawwhetowls2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Wow! What a wonderful place to have a wedding. My husband and I just had our wedding there on October 19, 2012. The cocktail hour was amazing! My guests raved about how good it was along with the dinner. The filet was cooked to perfection! We had grey service all night for our wedding! The hotel is clean and has a "right at home" type feel. If your looking for a wedding venue, choose the Alcott! You won't be dissatisfied!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Vanessa T
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I chose this hotel because it was one of the more affordable hotels in Cape May and it is extremely close to the beach (1 block). I’m very happy I did!!!! I stayed over the weekend with my fiancé and we were both very pleased with our stay. The rooms are super clean and the bathroom is brand new and spacious. The room was a little on the small side but we did not mind at all. Our room had a pillow top king size mattress and it was unbelievably comfortable.

A lot of other hotels in Cape May are old, run down and dated and are extremely expensive to stay in, which I don’t get! I had a horrible experience in one of those places last year. Hotel Alcott is the second oldest hotel in Cape May but you would never guess it. They’ve done a great job at maintaining it and keeping it new, clean and inviting.

They also have a restaurant downstairs called La Verandah. We didn’t get a chance to eat here but the food looks great. We will definitely check it out next time.

One tiny downfall is parking. The hotel has a parking lot 6 blocks away. You can find street parking but only when people at the beach start to leave. Since we rented bikes we did not have much need for the car anyway so this was only an inconvenience for us upon arriving.

The staff was great too!! Upon our arrival our room was not ready yet so they let us leave our bags there while we went to the beach and they had the bags brought into the room for us. While on the beach we received a phone call from front desk letting us know our room was ready ( an hour early) and our bags were already in there. So nice of them!! During our stay we came in contact with 3 different people at front desk and they were all extremely polite, professional and VERY accommodating. When we checked out, the lady at front desk even gave me a few bridal magazines since I’m getting married next year.

All around a GREAT experience!! I am definitely staying here again!!

3 Thank sicilianstarlet
Manalapan, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

First let me say this..I am without a doubt a hotel snob. I feel I keep a nice clean home..so when I go away I want to stay at a hotel that reflects the way I live at home. So..having said that..Hotel Alcott is a home away from home for me. When you arrive you will more then likely be greeted by Katie or Dan..both wonderful and helpful. They will guide you as to where to park, since there is no parking lot right in front for their hotel..which is fine. We dropped off our luggage and parked in their lot which is a few blocks away and they give you a parking pass so you don't have to pay the meters..yes there are meters on all the streets...we loved the walk. We got to see all the Victorian homes and much more. Second the hotel is very clean, if you are looking for a South Miami Vibe..this is not for you. This is a very quaint, peaceful hotel with a big veranda with little table and chairs, rocking chairs and in the morning you can sit outside which we did and have their breakfast which is included in the price. The rooms are small, but you are literally across the street from the beach & trust me you are never in it. The bed is very comfy..the bathroom was nicely updated & always cleaned on time. There is no pool so there where no kids which worked out perfect for me and my husband, due to the fact my son was not with us..for the first time ever. I truly appreciated the peacefulness this hotel had to offer. And after going into other bigger hotels..I saw all the ca motion..kids screaming..running..they had music..tons of little shops in the lobby I was so grateful to go back to my hotel and sit on the rocker with our ice cream..lol i felt like I was in a old Victorian beautiful home & we loved it. ..Cape May is beautiful & peaceful..Hotel Alcott has that romantic..sweet charm it has age to it...we loved it and it just soothes you when you are there. If you looking for craziness, this is not your hotel..if you want to relax, watch the sunset, and just enjoy the moment this is your place. There are tons of families there, go eat at the Rusty Nail for lunch & dinner fantastic. Also if you want a fantastic dinner eat at the Verandah located right in the hotel..it was delish..we will be back..I hope to get their during Christmas..Katie said it's something to see..So big "thank you" to Katie & her great staff for a wonderful stay.

5 Thank DeliaC
Trenton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed three nights at the Alcott Hotel. The rooms were clean, but small. No closet space and no table or desk, which made it a little dificult. Breakfast buffet was okay, small but sufficient. They could add some cut up fruits and toast. They did offer bagels, dry cereal, oatmeal, bananas and small muffins, coffee & Tea. Also, the afternoon snacks were cookies and lemonaid, thought they should offer a bit more maybe some cheese and crackers and should have out all day, not just a couple hours in the afternoon. That being said, I would stay there again. Its' centrally located and easy to walk to all parts of Cape May. Did not mind parking far away, the walk was not so bad.

Kim & Keith
Hamilton Twp., NJ

Room Tip: Make sure you can walk stairs, no elevators here
1 Thank Kim P
Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

My daughter and I have stayed at the Alcott 2011 and again in 2012. We each have our own rooms and have found them to be very clean and most comfortable. The staff very helpful (took our bags to our rooms) and courteous.
The breakfast more than adequate. We plan to make our yearly stay a tradition in the coming years.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 777zubin
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

If you like paper thin walls, Fruit Loops, no water pressure, sticky doors, cramped rooms and walking a mile to park your car, stay at the Hotel Alcott. For over $200 a night, this place seems to operate on a bare minimum amenity strategy. Many of the reviews on here mention the crappy breakfast, why do they continue serving Folgers and Corn Flakes? This was easily the smallest hotel room I've ever slept in. I've had better stays at the Marriott which has sound proof rooms, full length mirrors, a pool and a waffle maker. I'm a traveler that likes comfort as well as charm so when I come across a place like the Alcott that skimps on the creature comforts for the travelor, it's disappointing.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
3 Thank tarensterry