New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Cape May
Trenton, New Jersey
“Clean but small rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed three nights at the Alcott Hotel. The rooms were clean, but small. No closet space and no table or desk, which made it a little dificult. Breakfast buffet was okay, small but sufficient. They could add some cut up fruits and toast. They did offer bagels, dry cereal, oatmeal, bananas and small muffins, coffee & Tea. Also, the afternoon snacks were cookies and lemonaid, thought they should offer a bit more maybe some cheese and crackers and should have out all day, not just a couple hours in the afternoon. That being said, I would stay there again. Its' centrally located and easy to walk to all parts of Cape May. Did not mind parking far away, the walk was not so bad.

Kim & Keith
Hamilton Twp., NJ

Room Tip: Make sure you can walk stairs, no elevators here
1 Thank Kim P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My daughter and I have stayed at the Alcott 2011 and again in 2012. We each have our own rooms and have found them to be very clean and most comfortable. The staff very helpful (took our bags to our rooms) and courteous.
The breakfast more than adequate. We plan to make our yearly stay a tradition in the coming years.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 777zubin
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

If you like paper thin walls, Fruit Loops, no water pressure, sticky doors, cramped rooms and walking a mile to park your car, stay at the Hotel Alcott. For over $200 a night, this place seems to operate on a bare minimum amenity strategy. Many of the reviews on here mention the crappy breakfast, why do they continue serving Folgers and Corn Flakes? This was easily the smallest hotel room I've ever slept in. I've had better stays at the Marriott which has sound proof rooms, full length mirrors, a pool and a waffle maker. I'm a traveler that likes comfort as well as charm so when I come across a place like the Alcott that skimps on the creature comforts for the travelor, it's disappointing.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
3 Thank tarensterry

Travelers are raving about these Cape May hotels

New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night in July on a trip through South Jersey. The hotel was very clean, the staff was polite and the location was excellent (one block from the beach). We stayed in a room on the second floor with a veranda. There is no elevator, so be sure to get a room on the second floor at most. The room was very small, but the veranda provided so much extra charm and space that we didn't mind it. The bathroom was much bigger than expected. It was reasonably priced in comparison to the other hotels in the area at high season.

My biggested complaint was the lack of parking. We were referred to a parking lot (where they had pre-paid passes) five blocks away. After driving all day I was not happy to drive around looking for spaces. Once I arrived at the lot, it was full. I was told there was nothing they could do and I would have to drive around looking for street parking. This was very inconvenient and such a turn-off. Also, there are no amenities and the continental breakfast is weak at best.

Overall the charm and location of the hotel won out and we enjoyed our stay. If not for the negatives above, I would have given this hotel a 5 out of 5. I would recommend it for others to stay.

Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is a lovely quiet hotel just off the main beach road in Cape May. This was my first visit to the area, but hope to return. When I do, I will once again stay at the Hotel Alcott. Some of the others on here have noted things such as no elevator and no on site parking. When I looked for the hotel, I found that these facts were stated and were no surprise because I read carefully. This is a beautiful older hotel. Yes, I had to climb stairs. It was well worth it. Yes, parking was off site, no big deal. If these things are important, either because of personal choice or personal need, there are other nice one story hotels/motels in the area. However, if not, you will most likely love the Hotel Alcott. The room was quite comfortable and very lovely. I hope to visit again and again! Well done to each and every staff member with which I had contact.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ohio_Kimber
Cinnaminson, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

This property is difficult to review because the upsides equal out when you figure in the downsides.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The common areas (lobby, breakfast room/porch) were very clean and comfortable and the decor was very pleasant.

Parking is difficult at best and the lack of an elevator can make the walk to the second floor somewhat uncomfortable especially when carrying luggage (have it delivered to your room).

Our room (I understand there are other more expensive options) was very small. No desk, refrigerator, lounge chair, clock or radio. Since there is no closet, our luggage had to be placed on the floor consuming some of the already limited space. Also, no closet meant hanging clothes on an open rack which took up space on the other side of the room.

That said, the room was very clean and nicely painted and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was more than adequate and, again, very clean with ample towels, soaps and other supplies.

The breakfast was minimal, but very good and a pleasure to enjoy on the ample porch.

The Alcott's location is wonderful. Park the car and leave it! You can walk to any number of great areas in Cape May - after all, that's why we went.

Overall, the good outweighs the bad and we plan on returning in September.

Room Tip: Ask what size room you will be assigned when making the reservation.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John K
Langhorne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

This place is in the wedding reception business not the hotel business. No dedicated parking, after feeding a meter out front (15 minute max) I checked in. desk clerk said "unload your things and stop back and I'll show you where the parking is." After fighting my way through a wedding reception cocktail hour in the lobby to get to the stairs. (Bags in hand) I returned to the desk. The clerk led me outside and pointed down the street "See the third block down where there's no meters, you can find a place to park there". I asked about bicycle storage (This is the beach) I was instructed to chain them to a street sign on the corner. Can you believe it?

Our room was on the third floor, still the noise level was horrible. You could hear the thump of the music and the roar of the conversation plain as day. I guess thats the price you pay for the victorian atmosphere.

Room Tip: Visit the Holiday Inn instead
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends