“A Grand Old Lady Becomes a Witch”
Review of Hotel Alcott

Hotel Alcott
Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
South Windsor, Connecticut
“A Grand Old Lady Becomes a Witch”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

My wife and I are BIG fans of old hotels, and have stayed in many for well over 30 years. For more than 25 years, my job took us to hotels all over the world. Our experience with the Hotel Alcott was never encountered before.

The rooms at the hotel are what we have come to expect at 'luxury' older hotels. We were there on New Year's Eve for a wedding. Other than a noisy bathroom fan, the room was adequate, albeit a bit pricy compared to others we have enjoyed.

Our disappointment arose when we went to check out. When we checked in we were given 2 keys, real keys, not electronic cards. During the wedding festivities, one of the keys was misplaced.

Upon checking out, I mentioned this to the front desk attendant, who then informed us that there would be a $25!!!!!! replacement charge.

In all my extensive travel experience, I had never been exposed to such a policy! When I said that I would not have taken 2 keys if I knew this to be the case, the attendant rudely told me that the policy is clearly stated on the registration form. I produced the form and asked where it was, as there was no such policy stated. Then I had to wait a few minutes until the attendant produced another piece of paper that was never provided to us at any time, either when we made the reservation in person 7 months earlier, when we received confirmation, or when we checked in! This piece of paper said there would be a $25 lost key charge!

We were told that if the key was found within 30 days, we would get a $25 credit on our credit card.

If this is the type of experience you are seeking, by all means try this hotel.

Just be sure they don't charge you for using too many towels or if a light bulb needs replacement in your room. And be sure to ask for their secret policy paperwork!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are older and smaller so try to see them before you book in.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank FloydBaran
OCM_Management_Team, Hotel Alcott Management at Hotel Alcott, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear Sir,

We are sorry you were disappointed by the lost room key fee.

We are a historic property and, as such, our guest rooms are not assessable via an electronic keycard system. Those keycards are disposable. Real keys are not.

You were given two keys for the room and, as you assert, one of the keys was misplaced by you or your wife. Our lost key policy is featured prominently on our front desk and on the forms signed at the time of check in.

Please know the fee for lost keys is not punitive. It covers replacement costs including time and labor. We advised you that should you find the misplaced key within 30 days we could refund you the charge as a courtesy. We typically do not have a wait period before replacing the key.

Your remarks about light bulbs and towels are out of place, are not based on the realities of the property and are most likely borne of upset. While we can understand your upset, please note that we endeavor to provide the highest caliber of service to all guests.

We wish you well in your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 3, 2012

From the moment I saw Hotel Alcott, I was enchanted by its Victorian charm and the relaxed formality of both its exterior and interior, including the staff. I credit both the calming sea breeze and the excellent service (especially from Kate!) for easing my bridal stress and helping to create the perfect atmosphere for my weekend wedding getaway.

The Hotel Alcott staff gracefully accommodated our gregarious, and slightly intoxicated, crowd with ample verandah space to chat well into the night. They executed our every rooming request, and were always kind and courteous to our guests. Every one of my angst-filled questions, big or small, was answered promptly and professionally. On the day of my wedding, Alan handled everything, ensuring our reception ran smoothly and on time. My husband and I were able to enjoy every moment of our special day thanks to the detail-oriented staff.

I highly recommend Hotel Alcott for weekend wedding bliss or just a relaxing and romantic getaway.

Room Tip: The rooms on the veranda, overlooking the street, are the best!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Aileen K
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We were very happy last June at the Hotel Alcott in Cape May NJ. Like a faded belle, this Hotel has been around for more than a 100 years and still has the patina of the post civil war era. In fact, it's original name (the Arlington, I believe) was changed because Louisa May and her family stayed here so often. The hotel is situated on a quiet street near the ocean front, but in recent years it's once no doubt lovely across-the-street view has been marred by a row of rather dull, blank-faced condominiums. Do not focus on those, however, but rather on the lovely veranda of the hotel itself, with its beautiful wood flooring and row of inviting rockers (a common Cape May touch) from where you can enjoy some lemonade on a peaceful early June day. Early being the operative word here because it was still pre-season in Cape May and the hotel was relatively quiet and empty. The staff here is experienced and helpful and although we were given a pleasant corner room which we thoroughly enjoyed, the rooms to ask for are the very few on the second (I believe) floor with access to a private veranda. Guests we met at breakfast who occupied those rooms talked of sipping wine on "their" porch into the late evening. Speaking of breakfast, the Alcott strictly speaking is not a B&B, but a hotel and breakfast is of the well-loaded continental kind. Toast, bagels, muffins and cold cereal (maybe oatmeal, I don't remember), juice and coffee. This is QUITE adequate, however, on a warm day, and don't forget to grab the small brown bran muffins. They're house-made and delicious! When you first walk in you may be puzzled by the large lobby unrelieved by any real furniture. Turns out this is because the Hotel Alcott is a popular wedding reception venue. There is also apparently a wonderful restaurant with a tempting menu, which did not open until later in the month. You might check that out if you're in town even if you're not a hotel guest. Cape May is brimming with gorgeous Victorian B&Bs which it is fun to investigate on casual strolls through town. We only stayed at this hotel, and can't speak for those others. But we did not feel at all cheated. Oh yes, free parking spots are precious few these days, but can be found. Once located, leave your car there, if possible for the duration of the stay. The town is small. Walk everywhere. Or take a tour bus. Don't lose that parking spot.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank silvergypsy45
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I picked this hotel after reading the reviews and thought people were exaggerating about the terrible room quality, but it is true! The hotel is beautiful and has a nice location but it is not worth it! The hotel's free parking is very far (like 6 or more blocks) from the hotel. If you insist on staying here do not stay in the standard room. This room is extremely small and in my opinion a safety hazard. There is no room to walk around nor put your luggage down on the floor. The rooms are NOT what you see on the website !!! False advertisement !!

Room Tip: The standard rooms are EXTREMELY EXTREMELY small !!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Natalia A

Travelers are raving about these Cape May hotels

wisconsin
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Alcott. This was a spur of the moment business trip and the Hotel Alcott was available. We stayed on the second floor and had access to the Verandah. The room was small, but clean, neat and very comfortable. The area is residential, so we had to put up with a lot of noise. But honestly, there was not a place in Cape May that was secluded from what I could see. This is an old town and there's a lot of buildings.
The continental breakfast had croissants that were to die for... very moist, buttery pieces of love. The bagels were the good hearty ones, not the grocery store types. The coffee was good.
Thanks for letting us check in early!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank memerry
Waldorf, MD
Reviewed August 12, 2011

August 6-8
Attended the wedding of my nephew. There was no parking lot for the hotel. The lot was 6 long blocks away. You had to park your car and walk back to the hotel. Not very convenient.

My nephew had booked about 7-8 rooms for the event. The wedding reception was held at the hotel. - Hotel Alcott would not even give the bride and groom a free room for their honeymoon night - they would not even give them a discount.

The staff made a few rude remarks to the bride at the wedding receiption.

The rooms were very small, but they were clean.

I would not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank JanWaldorf_MD
New York
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Alcott for three nights this week, our first visit to lovely Cape May. The location is great- one short block to the beach. Parking is impossible and the Hotel's parking lot is quite a distance from the Hotel. A shuttle service might be nice. The hotel is nice enough, very clean. The beach towels are great. But amenities in the rooms are sorely lacking and the rooms are not kept up (but they are clean). In our room, the shower head and handle were both broken and there was no water pressure at all. Oddly, the shampoo provided by the hotel were in small cylinders that made it impossible to get the shampoo out. The third day, there were different brands of shampoo, conditioner and lotion, leading us to believe that the hotel bought sample buyouts and just put out whatever they had. The worst thing was the bathroom towels- thinner than any hotel towel I have ever seen and rough like sandpaper. Although they advertised bathrobes, there were none in our room. In our friends' room, the air conditioning broke and they had to be moved to another room.
As for concierge services, they were non existent. I asked several questions about the best boat tours and trolley rides around the town and I was told: "I don't know. I live here. I haven't tried them." We asked for restaurant recommendations and also got little response. We asked how to get to the local day spa where we had booked services and was told to ask someone else. Although there are no elevators (as is expected in a historic hotel), there was no one at the hotel to help us either in or out with our bags. The stairs are long and winding. My husband has bad knees and help would have been appreciated. Also, since it is impossible to park in front of the hotel during the day, having a valet at the entrance would have greatly helped us with checking in and getting our luggage out of the car and to the room. A parking valet would be greatly appreciated by anyone checking into the hotel. In a hotel with similar parking problems, the Omni Parker House in Boston, there is no issue because there is valet service as soon as you pull up to the hotel. In short, for $290 a night, we vastly overpaid to stay here. There were no luxury services or amenities but, the hotel is clean and fine if you just need a room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple