“Stay away from this rude staff”

Marquis De Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Wow! Just got off the phone trying to speak to a manager to request a guaranteed floor in return for a suite at top dollar three weeks from now at $329 a night, first with Sue (the rude, incompetent booking agent who when I said I was told told two days ago that only Louise the manager can guarantee a floor, to call her Wednesday when she's in, told me brusquely, "She's not in and there' s nothng I can do for you, hold on." After being on hold for 5 minutes I called back and Blair,. the supposed owner/manager whose people skills were even worse then the staff he can't train to be courteous, sounding perturbed he had to answer at all, (That's what happens when you understaff, overwork and probably underpay), proceeded to do business on a speaker phone. He seemed to think it was okay to do confidential financial business that way and was annoyed I asked him to pick up the phone. And lovely overworked Sue just couldnt handle the effort it takes to ask someone if they can hold in any courteous manner because poor dear actually had to do her job and help take reservations.
The lady who wrote before is indeed correct. Don't be fooled by their protests about customers complaining here. I mentioned my concerns about the horrible review I read here from last month and the lack of any kind of contrition in their response. They wrote her off , "Well ya' just can't make everyone happy, ya ready to pay in full now?" I am a well travelled busy professional and don't ever take time to write feedback even when it's a bad experience; most folks own up to mistakes, inadequate service, take some professional responsibilty and try to please/keep their customers. I know it's just a small beach hotel. I really don't expect the Hilton standards but, Wow! Fellow Cape May Lovers, Beware!!. They are clearly desperate for revenue ( Any reputable hotel charges your card upon check out and gives a reasonable cancelation policy). Their reasoning not to do this; $329 a night is a "special coupon offer" with no advance or competitive cancelation policies. I was afraid to ask what the "non couponed" "overpriced" close to $500 a night charge, for the same suite, cancelation policy would be (Or clearly wouldn't have been.) If they weren't so seedily transparent and bombasticly righteous, it would be laughable. Run, Will Robinson, Run! See you all at a "real hotel" somewhere in beautiful and "mostly friendly" Cape May in August. :)))

• Stayed: August 2009

Reviewed July 7, 2009

Look, this, in some respects, is a "teflon" hotel. It's in a fabulous Cape May location, the rooms face the beach (we watched the 4th of July fireworks from our balcony), and breakfast, which is hearty and substantial, is included in the bill. There's even a small fitness room with a treadmill and an elliptical. Here are the downsides: we stayed in a Marquis suite, which was "fine" for the three of us (our daughter slept on the sleep sofa in the living room), but if our son was along, it would've been too small. When the sleep sofa was unfolded, it took up the entire LR. The rear bedroom did not have windows, which made it cave-like, and we could clearly hear our neighbor's conversations through the walls. The bathroom was postage-stamp sized, and our toiletries kept falling through the shelving around the toilet and onto the floor. There are $5 "fines" if you lose your pool pass (the pool, by the way, was open erratically the weekend we were there because kids kept "pooping in the pool"). And you are warned, upon check in, that "you are responsible for any damage in the room, so check your room for damage when you arrive and report it." There are signs in the breakfast room, asking you not to "waste any food," nor are you allowed to bring it to your room. But, my biggest issue here is that the staff, in particular, those at the front desk, are overall very grumpy -- like distant relatives who are not too happy to see you. Obviously, there were exceptions, but the desk staff couldn't be bothered to even greet those walking into the (tiny) lobby, or even smile. It took two hours for housekeeping to bring extra towels, which were then dumped, unceremoniously, onto the sleep sofa, and not put away in the bathroom. This hotel is expensive for what it is: a quirky, non-corporate beachside hotel with (some) charm. We had fun here, all due to the good weather; walk into this one with your eyes open.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Veesh62, Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2009

We do have a beautiful property in a prime location. It is centrally located on the beach front. Since our last major renovation we have strived to add new amenities whenever we can. There is nothing hidden or misrepresented about the size of the rooms. Floor plans and photos are posted on the web site for all to scrutinize. By the description of the room explained in the review it sounds like this customer stayed in one of our interior rooms. These rooms are along the inside corridors. Windows would serve no purpose and would only look out into the interior walkway. However, there is a balcony with a spectacular ocean view. Only two of these suites on each floor have connecting doors for those guest requesting adjoining rooms. Unfortunately, this does not always provide the best sound-proofing as a solid wall would. The sofa bed is queen sized. Along with the television, chest of drawers, end tables, drop-leaf table, and chairs it does take up the remaining space and not meant to be left open during the entire stay. Bathrooms are of average size for a hotel with a step in tub/shower combination, retractable clothes line, modern fixtures, tiles floors, heat lamps, hair dryer, ample vanity lighting, and a shelving system that sits over the commode where the extra towels and toiletries are initially stored for our guests’ convenience. We don’t expect our guests to remain in a room they are not happy with and will gladly move them to another room style upon request if one is available.

The only fine we impose at the Marquis DeLafayette Hotel is for smoking on the property. We are 100% smoke-free and have zero tolerance. There is a security deposit for room keys and pool passes. For security purposes we do require that guests bring back the electronic room keys. The pool passes ensure that only bona fide guests are allowed entry into the pool area. It has been a very successful program and has controlled the unlawful use of hotel amenities meant for our guests’ use only. Security deposits encourage the return of the passes and keys which help keep the integrity of our system.

The pool did have to be closed down as the reviewer mentioned. By State Law, the Board of Health requires the pool be shut down to ensure that no trace of e-coli was present before it is safe for our guests to go back in the water. The chemicals are tested frequently throughout the day and when necessary the pool is closed for a short period of time to bring readings where they need to be to keep everyone safe. Unfortunately, we have no control over the bodily functions of our guests or their children. We did notice a pattern develop and we had a good idea which family harbored the “mystery pooper” but it was a hard thing to prove.

The reason why we have kept this property in such good condition is because we have responsible guests. But, every now and then there are people who are destructive. The statement we ask our guests to acknowledge upon check-in simply is a reminder that the condition of the room should be the same after check-out and liability for malicious damage falls on them. This is backed up by Innkeeper Laws. It has been a very long while since we have had customers that unruly, much to the relief of all our guests. In the same sentence, we also state that if there is anything wrong in the room or should any services be required we encourage our guest to contact us at any time (day or night) no matter how minor they feel it is. It is astounding that a guest will not report a slow moving drain or burnt out light bulb until they are checking out or when they write about it in a guest survey or online review.

With 83 rooms to service we make every attempt to answer calls for service as quickly as possible. When a guest is not in their room we place the towels where they can be noticed immediately. Admittedly, we do not fold them, origami-style, into puppy dogs with glasses but we also do not dump them. If they were placed on the sofa bed these guests were not in their room therefore they could not possibly know how long it took for the towels to be delivered. Two hours is a bit extreme and highly unlikely.

Our biggest concern is that the reviewer felt the Front Desk staff was unfriendly. This is troublesome and is being taken very seriously. Our representatives are expected to treat everyone with the highest regard, leaving their problems at the door when they come to work. We respect and appreciate our customers and sincerely apologize for the demeanor they experienced. Appropriate action has already taken place due to these comments and we believe this attitude has been corrected.

We want everyone to enjoy their stay and feel they can call upon us if something is not to their satisfaction. So please, tell us what is wrong but it would also nice to hear about all the numerous things we do right.

Reviewed April 29, 2009

Good location, good front desk. Nice view, though blackout curtain on balcony door could not be moved aside. No wireless internet in rooms. No available wall sockets to plug computer in. Turns out that their restaurant was closed for the month, so no coffee, no breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madinpursuit
Reviewed April 21, 2009

We just booked Memorial Day weekend! What a wonderful place to stay as we go back every year! The hotel is renovated & clean and has a charm like no other Victorian hotel. The rooms are comfortable and the views of the ocean and beach are breath taking. The hotel is centrally located so you rarely need to get in your car to dine or shop. When the beach enough come back to the pool and grab a frozen drink while the kids splash around! Relaxing!
Breakfast is delicious and never let us down. Of course we miss the breakfasts that used to be in the former restaurant on the top floor. The views were so pretty!! What a shame to have moved it to the ground floor. I can't complain because we all leave stuffed and so satisfied! Yum!
I would highly recommend the Marquis!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Loren1122
Reviewed April 17, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years and our pet loves it there. Sadly, due to their 'additional person' fees, what amounts to a small motel room would cost us $450 per night for a family of four with one dog. I understand the extra room charge for the pet, but $25 per night per child over 8 is ridiculous. Unless the hotel is just trying to discourage older children. In so doing, they have discouraged our entire family. In the past I have had reps who have worked with me to make it more affordable, but it seems in this economy, they can't be bothered. I tried to leave the recommendation blank but it wouldn't accept my review. The only reason I don't recommend the hotel is the price. Otherwise, I would stay there again.

I also have to add that I have found the front desk staff to be rude at times as well. We have stayed there for the location and the pet-friendly feature, but I'm sorry to say we probably won't be staying there again. And without the pets, there are certainly more affordable alternatives in town. Good breakfast, though, by the way.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2008

We were due to stay for 2 nights this past weekend.

Upon arrival, we were informed - by the not-so-friendly woman working at the front desk, that our room wasn't ready and that they would call our cell phone when it was.

When we did check in a couple of hours later, we were very displeased with the accommodations. The room was damp, it did not smell very nice, the bedroom was like a dark dungeon with no windows, and the room was dirty. I sat on the floor and could see dirt, dust, crumbs, and I don't know what else under the television stand.

The ceiling fans did not work.

I put some water in the refrigerator and saw there was a lot of water laying at the bottom of it. When I wiped it up and it spilled out to the floor, the towels that I cleaned it up with were filthy.

Upon using the toilet, it wouldn't flush and overflowed.

Upon making a pot of coffee, the in-room coffee pot leaked all over the top of the microwave.

We checked out and went home.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank shamrock0421
Veesh62, Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2008

Sometimes our employees fail to perform as we need them to. That is why we rely on and highly encourage our customers to let us know about issues to give us an opportunity to rectify the situation. There is a manager on duty from 8 a.m. until midnight on most days. Waiting until after you check out or posting comments on complaint sites instead of making us aware of problems as they occur doesn’t give us any opportunity to make your stay comfortable. There is nothing we can do after the fact. Not happy with your room? We can show you another one. Almost every issue has a reasonable and quick solution.

Our official check in time is 4 p.m. If the room is clean and inspected for release prior to this time our guests may check in as they become available. If they are not ready when a customer arrives early we ask for a cell phone number so we can reach them as soon as the room is released. We do this as a courtesy to our guests. Arriving early does not guarantee a room early. Readiness of a room depends on how early the previous guest checks out, and the workload of the housekeeping department. In the meantime, parking permits are issued and everyone is free to explore the town and stop for lunch instead of waiting in the lobby.

Toilets will block, light bulbs will burn out, and equipment will fail. On occasion, it happens in every home … with normal wear and tear. I’m sure it can be appreciated that in an 83 unit hotel it happens much more often. It goes with the territory and we make maintenance calls our priority—within a few minutes of a guest’s call to the front desk—24 hours a day. We don’t always find that the equipment is broken. Sometimes a quick demonstration on how everything in the rooms works does the trick. For example: Ceiling fans in all our rooms are regulated by a switch for power and two small rheostats to control the fan speed and brightness of the light. These switches sometimes can be hard to see. In an effort to conserve water, New Jersey State Law requires all hotels to install low-flow toilet tanks. A great concept however it doesn’t always provide a good flow to flush waste and excessive paper through the lines. A minor inconvenience to our guests, but a quick fix with a plunger for our maintenance department.

We are truly sorry that the reviewer’s experience did not meet with expectations but it could have if we were given the opportunity to make it better right from the start. We cannot imagine that the things written about were not satisfactorily resolved after reporting them to us. In addition, all our rooms have windows and televisions are either mounted on wall brackets or on a dresser that is flush with the floor. As the reviewer is anonymous we are unable to identify the specifics especially when descriptions do not match up. However if he/she is willing to identify themselves in a letter to the attention of our General Manager with the specific details of their stay outlining the problems and actions taken it would be thoroughly reviewed. Only then can we convene with the proper staff to ensure the failures do not happen again.

Reviewed July 25, 2008

My husband and I just returned, once again, to our home away from home. The Marquis is our getaway time for rest and relaxation. We have been spending our anniversary here now for years. Every time we go I keep asking myself the same question, "Can it get any better?". Well the answer is, "YES it can!". The service is wonderful, the staff is outstanding and the familiar faces of returning guests that you see year after year. I would think that if you see the same staff members and especially the same guests returning, I know that this hotel is doing something extremely outstanding.
I met a new employee while he was cleaning around the hotel. He was so friendly, polite and his first time working at the Marquis - his name is Khan. Thank you Khan for always having that wonderful smile of yours every time we saw you. Hector, thanks some much for your thoughtfulness & kindness by the pool. Claudia, our cleaning girl, "great" I wish I could take her home with me.
The location, the view, the great breakfast, the cleanliness of the rooms and friendly staff may not add up to a 5 Star hotel to some people, but to me it is a 10 Star! Their managerial staff is fantastic and thanks to Joan, Blair & Peggy and everyone for making this hotel my Home away from Home.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Enjoy the Best Spot in Cape May!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple