“Great Complimentary Breakfast”

Marquis De Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a Suite on the 2nd floor although I had requested one on a higher floor but since it was off season they did not book the entire hotel although there were ppl staying on the 6th floor (the highest). Anyway, our suite was lovely. It had 2 very comfortable double beds in one room with very comfortable pillows - which is something I find hard to find in hotels. The sitting area had a pull out bed which we did not pull out but instead slept on it as a couch. All rooms face the ocean and have 2 rocking chairs. There was a large flat screen TV in the sitting area and a regular one in the bedroom area. The suite has a small kitchen complete with microwave, refrigerator, range and full set of dishes, utensils and pots and pans along with detergent to wash dishes. Bathroom was average but could have used a fan. Bedroom is a bit on the dark side and we could not figure out how to turn off the ceiling fan. It was a very windy night and the "wooing" noise coming through the door and windows facing the ocean made it difficult for a good nights sleep. However, we did not hear it in the bedroom. The complimentary breakfast was the best I have ever experienced. I do not have the room to list all that was served but it was everything you would find on a menu in a regular restaurant. It was all very fresh and very very delicious!

Room Tip: Rooms tucked in the corner do not have a good sunrise view b/c they are blocked by part of the hotel...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank April58

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We had a very special reason to visit Cape May NJ in January. There are very few hotels available that time of year. The Marquis de Lafayette was open and readily available for my party. The staff was very accommodating and the rooms were clean and well appointed.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank SoloTraveler1969
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here for a mini-vacation over the 2012 Holiday Season. Great location, great views, great buffet breakfast which was included in the cost of the room. The room itself was a bit dated but clean and comfortable. The elevators were a bit questionable??? As a smoker, I thought their non-smoking rules were a bit over the top...no smoking on your private balcony or anywhere outside the building, except for the parking lot. I don't mind not smoking inside my room or the public areas of the hotel...but I found it interesting that they are a "pet friendly" hotel. I'm sorry but really pets can be very dirty and annoying...a lot more than smokers.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FunPlacesToCheckOut
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Great location. However, hotel is very dated and not very clean. Bathrooms are original and fairly disgusting. Staff is delighful and very friendly. But room rates are high and we stayed off season. Would not recommend. Cape May is a cute town and there are better options.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank zotise
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We recently stayed here for a weekend. We picked this hotel because of the location and because we brought our dog. I figured it was going to be the worst stay in a hotel that I've ever had based on some of the previous reviews I had read. I have to say though, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was just as pictured online, dated yes, but it was clean. Cleanliness is more important to me than the dated curtains.The floors were clean, the bathroom was spotless. I had asked for more bath towels and within one minute, I had twice as many towels as I had requested. The towels were thick, better than some towels I've had at a Hilton. The sink and shower looked as if they had been recently updated. Everything worked properly. The bed was old, but certainly not the worst I've ever slept on. My $10,000 Sandals vacation had a worse bed than this place!! The rooms are a bit dark, but for once the bathroom had great lighting. There was PLENTY of hot water and great water pressure which always seems to be an issue at other hotels. I was expecting breakfast to be disgusting, but I thought it was good. Coffee was good, plenty of food options to choose from. You cannot go in expecting this to be a big chain hotel. Luxury it is not, but it was perfect for a quick weekend getaway with a pet. They even did a great job decorating the lobby with pumpkins and a fall theme. Luckily, we didn't have any issues with any staff at the front desk. We dealt with two gentlemen who were friendly as well as Louise who was quite understanding when we had to have an early check out due to Hurricane Sandy. I obviously prefer the high end resorts, but I have no complaints (knowing that this was an older property) about the service or cleanliness at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you have a pet, splurge for the bigger suites. The extra room makes a difference.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Spaqueen35
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Went with a group tour. Rooms all had bedroom, kitchenette, living room and balcony. Furnishings were a bit dated, but all was very clean and tidy. Located across from the beach and 3 blocks from the shopping area. Breakfast was included- had everything! Fresh fruit, yogurt, bacon, eggs and an omelette bar, waffles, pancakes... Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Chris D
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel the end of August. We usually stay in a bed and breakfast (The Queen Victoria or The Carol Villa) but now with a two year old we like something with a kitchenette. The hotel had all the amenities we needed. We booked late and still got a room on the second floor overlooking the pool and the ocean. We did not hear any dogs barking right below us, which we were nervous about. Breakfast was included but unfortunately people let their kids cough, sneeze, and touch everything with their hands that we couldn't do the buffet after the first day. The location is great, right across the street from the ocean and a two block walk into town. The staff was friendly and housekeeping was always efficient in cleaning our room early because our daughter takes a nap in the day time. We just called the desk at breakfast time and they came right up. The hotel was not cheap, it was about $300 a night. Also check your bill because they stated 2 adults and 2 children free under 12 and they charged us extra for my daughter. The rectified it when I told them she was under 12. I would rather stay in a bed and breakfast but when you have young children most places don't allow it. The hotel suited our needs and we will likely stay here again till our daughter is old enough to stay in a bed and breakfast. We also went to the Cape May Zoo, which is free to visit with a small donation.
The Cape May Convention hall (newly renovated) had a lot of free shows going on for the kids.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family