“Definitely worth coming back.”
Review of The Cliveden Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Cliveden Inn
Ranked #37 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
“Definitely worth coming back.”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

After spending years trying to convince my husband to stay in a B&B, he finally skeptically agreed. I expected controversy and complaint from someone who's used to five star hotels, but to my surprize, he loved it! This was our first and I made sure to research for features such as value, ideal location, pet friendly, clean, hospitality, full homemade breakfast, afternoon tea, amenities which included; bicycles, beach towels, room fridge, wi-fi, private bathroom and we got it all in one package. We strongly recommend it.
MG

• Stayed July 2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
NJ
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We with my wife spent last weekend there due to our romantic gataway. What we looked - we got: silent place in awesome city, 3 minutes walking to beach, restaurants etc. Room is small, but pretty nice: everything in there. Hospitality is 5, breakfeast is good, thought no meat. They providing rent of bikes and beach accessories included into room rate already. Only suggestion - fix a bed; it's squeak too much :)))) Then mark will be 5, now is 4.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Naugatuck, Connecticut
Reviewed November 8, 2010

I absolutely love staying at the Clividen Inn. I have been visiting Cape May for many years and would not want to stay anywhere else. The first moment I saw Room C I was taken by its charm and Victorian decor. The owners have become dear friends over the years and I feel blessed to have found such a place to visit and enjoy during my vacations. The employees work exceptionally hard to make sure every guest feels valued and that everyone's needs are met. The full course breakfast is just delicious, each morning another wonderful hot casserole and muffin assortment served. I highly recommend this special Inn.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank veravera_10
Newark, Ohio
Reviewed November 5, 2010

If I was asked to tell in a word what my favorite thing about the Cliveden Inn is, I would have to say " In A Word, Everthing." My wife and I have stayed at the Cliveden Inn 19 times since 2001, twice a year since 2003. There is just something about that Charming old home that once you are there a day or two you feel like it is your home, it is just so Homey. The breakfast is wonderful, especially on a sunny moring on the front porch, cucumber tea sandwiches and cream de,mint pastries for afternoon tea, oh so good. We sleep very good in the bed and when we leave after a week there, we both get teary eyed going up the Garden State Parkway heading home. But then again we come back, again and again. The Red awnings drew us to the porch the first time we were there, it is just so Victorian. It is very close to the beach and the victorian mall. It sits in the middle of a charming little town with beautiful architecture everywhere. If you are planning a trip to Cape May, stop and see Susan De Rosa the owner and her friendly staff, it will be a very relaxing and peaceful stay. Jamie and Diane Gargus, Newark Ohio.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 5, 2010

We stayed in the Cliveden Inn for a weekend last fall. We were in a room on the second floor, #3 I believe. I wish I had known about TripAdvisor at the time. The room looked attractive in the photo, but in terms of comfort it left much to be desired. The mattress was the most uncomfortable thing either my husband or I have ever slept on in our lives. It was like being on top of a pile of newspapers coated in plastic wrap. It must be a hundred years old, and the cheapest of the cheap. We both had trouble sleeping and ended up with a lot of back pain. There was also a Victorian-style chair and sofa in the room. The springs in both were totally shot. I wanted to read a book, but sitting on a lumpy surface and having coils pressing into my backside ruined the experience for me. Everything in the room was for show, not for use. The breakfast was the only positive -- excellent bananas foster french toast, in particular. In the end we spent a lot of money for a weekend away, and ended up stiff, sore, and fatigued. I would not recommended this Inn; surely there is something better in Cape May.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ArgTrav
ClivedenInn, Owner at The Cliveden Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2010
We are very sorry to hear of your uncomfortable stay with us last year. We wish you had mentioned this to us at the time as we would have gladly offerred you another room. We desire to ensure a comfortable, enjoyable visit for all our guests and would welcome an opportunity to rectify any guests disatisfaction. Regrettably, this is the first time in 23 years that we have had a furniture complaint.
Carlstadt, New Jersey
Reviewed September 28, 2010

My husband and I have been staying at the Cliveden Inn since 1989. It is truly one of our favorite places to stay. Sue, the owner, is a wonderful person, always willing to help us out with anything we need. We've stayed in practically every room in the house over the years, and each and every one of them is beautiful, full of its own unique charm.

The breakfasts on the porch are great. There is always a warm caserole, as well as fresh fruit and several baked items, juice, coffee, and tea. The food is plentiful, and always replenished when it is running low. I can never resist going back for more! I also find having breakfast outdoos on the porch to be a complete change from eating at home in my kitchen, and this relaxing experience adds to the charm of staying in Cape May. Since the Cliveden Inn is located on Columbia Avenue, one of the most beautiful streets in Cape May within walking distance of the beach and the mall, the location is perfect.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SueT01
New York
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We were very pleased with our room, actually 2 rooms, one a little annex. The beds were comfortable, the linens crisp, wallpaper very pretty and victorian Judy one of the cooks was very helpful and Susan runs her B & B well. Afternoon tea with goodies and a great breakfast on the front porch all made our stay at Cape May a nice escape. Would return there again. Easy walk to the boardwalk.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends