“Beautiful and charming!”
Review of The Dormer House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Dormer House
Ranked #22 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Pennsylvania
“Beautiful and charming!”
Reviewed June 11, 2010

This was our second stay at the Dormer House in Cape May. We originally chose this place for the great price.

The house is very historic and quite charming. The large front porch is absolutely beautiful. They serve beverages and fresh-baked goods on the porch every afternoon for guests.
We always looked forward to that time. The lemonade and treats we had our first day were positively mouth-watering. If you have nut allergies, I would alert the staff prior to your visit, because a lot of the baked goods had nuts.
The Cape May horse and buggy tours go right past the house, and we enjoyed reading on the porch and listening to the clip-clop. (and there was never any unpleasant sign or smell in Cape May of the horses).
The breakfast porch is another of our favorite things about the house. It is so adorable and charming. There are beverages and a baked good awaiting when you come down in the morning, and then a server brings you your breakfast. the first morning was a tasty cheesy-egg thing, bacon, and fruit. The second day was sausage, fruit, and pancakes.
The house also has a hot beverage station in the parlor that is available 24/7. We enjoyed making a nightly cup of coffee and sitting on the porch.
The house also has a small fridge on the stairway landing you can keep food/drinks in. No one bothered our stuff in there.
The house is only a few easy blocks from the beach and from the main shopping area. There is free parking at the house, and we ended up walking almost everywhere else.
The house also has an outside shower and beach chairs available.

Our second night there, the air conditioner in our room broke, but the staff replaced it the next day and even refunded us for that night!

I have recommended this place to family and friends and look forward to visiting again in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katrina7041

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Cape May, New Jersey
Reviewed June 11, 2010

My husband and stayed at this B&B from Tuesday until Saturday day at checkout time. I have to admit I have been coming to Cape May for years now and never experienced a stay so wonderful. Every morning in the dining area, we were served with a home-made breakfast including pancakes one day and eggs with bacon the next. Not to mention the additional delicious baked treats, fruit, coffe, and tea during the breakfast hours. Also the servers are extremely helpful and kind. One morning I asked for something other than the regular dish listed and they made sure to satisfy my request without a problem.

After breakfast we usually strolled around Cape May, went to the beach, or to the walk with local shops and candy stores. One day we went for a ride in the horse carriage which was also outstanding. After we came back from our adventures were able to relax in the living room, read, or even sit back and watch the TV. In the afternoon we always made sure to be back at the house for Tea Time. This included freshly baked treats, iced cold lemonade and iced tea or hot tea with beautiful china glasses, and also cheese and crackers some days.

One other thing I must mention is about my room itself. Everyday, someone came to the room and refreshed the room with new towels, trash and such. The room was extemely clean when we arrived and enjoyed the theme. We stayed in the sleigh room, which included a gorgeous sleigh bed and more. Also on a side note, I personally loved the print of the the sheets and blanket set. One of the most comfortable beds I have slept in while on vacation.

If you are looking for a bed and breakfast in Cape May, I would without a doubt suggest The Dormer House. I give the owner's an A+ at satisfying their guests and for their appreciation of your stay. There were several occasions when the owners themselves came out and held conversations with us as well as other guests. From breakfast time to tea time and even after tea time, they were always present. In fact I did see the owners themselves every breakfast and tea time. They are quite pleasant to talk to and are extremely knowledgable about the town including knowing where to go for dinner based upon what we were in the mood for. If I needed anything, I let them know and they got it right away.

This is my favorite bed and breakfast and I do not expect any other bed and breakfast to go above and beyond my expectations the same way the Dormer House did. From wonderful owners to helpful staff to overall cleanliness and convenience, I had a great stay in Cape May.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CluelessCM
West Virginia
Reviewed April 1, 2010

My husband and I along with my sister & brother-in-law spent our first trip to Cape May, NJ and chose The Dormer House B&B to stay at; what a lovely surprise! It was more than we imagined and the owners, Mr. & Mrs. Doherty are some of the nicest hosts you'd ever meet. We were there at the beginning of the Christmas Holiday Season and the house was completely decorated & adorned with sprakle, wreaths, a huge tree, garlands, lights & everything else to make it a B&B of top choice. We had a wonderful stay and were very happy we chose to spend our short time there with them. And their breakfast was excellent. Beautiful B&B; wonderful, courteous & personable service; good food & convenient to downtown shops. We had a lovely time & hope to revisit them in the future. We would highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
new york,ny
Reviewed February 5, 2010

We just had a wonderful time at the Dormer House. So many great experiences here, we come back every year. The staff is courteous and attentive, the accommodations are comfortable and well appointed. There is nothing better than sitting on the porch for tea. We've stayed at other B&B's and this is one of our favs. Feels like home!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
North Jersey
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Thank you Dormer House for a wonderful stay. Your home is BEAUTIFUL. Our room was very nice and clean. The young ladies who took care of us during our stay were very friendly. It was also very nice of Dennis and Luccile to sit with us during tea time. Every morning's breakfast was delicious as was the wonderful snack's at tea time. Thank you so much for making us feel so comfortable. We will definately be back and will tell all our family and friend's to go stay at the Dormer House.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I have just returned from 4 nights at the Dormer House and can't recommend this spot to anyone. The room had so much dust on the bed hangings, wall decor and artificial flowers that they actually appear greyed. Bed linens were worn and faded. The same annoying musical selection played over and over throughout the 4 days. The breakfasts were acceptable, but nothing special. We definitely met the "biker" woman referred to in another review. Staff is nice I am sure but a little coarse in manners and serving skills. However, there were people there who said they have returned for 9 years on a yearly basis. Obviously for some this spot if perfect.

• Stayed September 2009
freehold
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Everything was so nice. From the minute we walked in there was a feeling of comfort and being welcome. The owners greeted us and suggested places to dine. The rooms are nicely decorated and very clean. the breakfast was a great meal and I must say too much to finish. Tea time had so many delicious things that we didn't know where to begin. There was a woman who served us breakfast and later I found out she also cleaned the rooms as well as all other such chores, she was very helpful and nice to us. The energy she has is surprising! We will be coming back here again soon.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple