“Adorable”
Review of The Dormer House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ranked #17 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
“Adorable”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I have always wanted to stay in a B&B and this place was a delight. The location was perfect. The staff were super friendly & very accommodating.
I was there during an unseasonably warm week right before Christmas. Enjoyed tea time and home made pastries on the porch.
I loved the Christmas decor.

• Stayed December 2013
bakedapple, Manager at The Dormer House, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Hello! Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so pleased that you found our B&B a delight to visit. So happy you liked all of the Christmas decorations too! Any and all feedback is so important to us being a small family business so please know that your review means the world!

Thank you again and hope to see you in the future :)

The Dormer House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed here the weekend before Christmas and were pleasantly surprised by the great service and amenities. We were quickly greeted at check in by the Innkeeper (I must admit I'm kind of turned off by the note and key check in you get at some B&B's, especially when you tell them what time you're going to arrive). The offerings for tea time and breakfast were surprisingly high in quality, and the service was again very efficient. I really liked the dining area with the private tables so you didn't have to feel uncomfortable eating with strangers. We found the house to be very clean and the Christmas lights and decorations were awesome! All of this for such a great price will really make me consider staying here again the next time we visit Cape May. We typically stay at some of the bigger hotels on the beachfront, which are about double the price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed everything from the breakfast and tea times to the Christmas decorations! I can't wait to share this with our staff. :) Thank you again and we hope to see you again in the future!

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This was our first stay at The Dormer House. The staff was very friendly and helpful; the breakfast and baked goods at afternoon tea were excellent. There's ample parking (sometimes very difficult in Cape May) and it's close to the center of town. However, I would agree with some of the other reviews. There is a lot of dusty clutter, cracks in the walls, chipping paint/wallpaper, etc. We stayed in the Shannon Room, which was very small. The windows are old, so they rattled with the wind and allowed in a lot of cold air (it's not good when the head of the bed is right under a drafty window). The pillows were extremely uncomfortable and the sheets were old and very thin. We arrived late and there was a wonderful note welcoming us. However, it was a cold weekend and it would have been nice had they turned on the heat in the room. There's a rolling heating unit that is used for both the bedroom and the bathroom (one unit for both rooms). So, when we showered, we had to move the heater closer to the bathroom. It was difficult to properly regulate the temperate of the room with the heater. The first night we woke up and felt like we were in a sauna. The second night we woke up freezing. Because the location of the Shannon Room is in the back toward the gravel parking lot, we heard cars pulling in and out throughout the night and morning. Again, because the windows are old and thin, they didn't help block out any of the noise. I would definitely recommend folks stay in a different room.

Room Tip: The Shannon Room is small and noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alicia D
bakedapple, Manager at The Dormer House, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Hello! Thank you so much for reviewing our property. We always appreciate any and all types of reviews. I am so happy you enjoyed the breakfast and service. We are always looking for ways to improve and take all criticisms very seriously. Thank you so much and we hope to see you again in the future! Happy Holidays!!
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Where to start... I guess I'll start with the good points. Like others have mentioned, I found my room at the Dormer House to be clean, the staff friendly and helpful, the food good and it wasn't too far from the center of Cape May.

However, the Dormer House, in my opinion, is in desperate need of some updates. I took a gamble on the Dormer House and I was a little disappointed. The place is cluttered! I understand that the owners are going for a Victorian/vintage look but every crook and cranny was crammed with knick knacks and most of it looked shabby and covered in dust. I know this is a preference issue more than anything, but it was a case where the "less is more" philosophy is needed.

And while my room was clean, the wallpaper was peeling in some spots and there were cracks in the plaster and paint chipped off, and the love seat had a hole in the upholstery. The most unfortunate part was the mattress. It was very, very uncomfortable. I spent two nights there and on the second morning my back and neck were sore. The mattress had a huge dip in the middle and no support. I tossed and turned both nights trying to get comfortable - not the restful weekend I was hoping for.

I have no plans to return to the Dormer House nor would I recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy K
bakedapple, Manager at The Dormer House, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to review our property. I am glad that you enjoyed our food and location, etc. Also, we are currently in the process of updating our home over the next few months. Being an old house we are always looking for ways to update and improve and absolutely take your comments seriously. Thank you again and we hope you can give us another chance in the future!

Thanks,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 5, 2013

First time staying in a Bed and Breakfast and it was great. Awesome location and loved the Tea Time chili they made for us! Breakfast was also really nice I especially liked the homemade jelly marmalade that was on the table.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
bakedapple, Manager at The Dormer House, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
What a wonderful compliment! Thank you for taking the time to review our property! I am so happy you enjoyed your stay as well as the chili at tea time. :) We are always trying new things so we hope you come back again in the near future.

Thanks again,

Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I've read some other reviews stating that the rooms were dirty, breakfast wasn't good and it was a far walk to get places. We stayed in the Dormer Suite and it was spotless. Both mornings we had a delicious breakfast. The baked goods at afternoon tea were homemade goodness. They also served a butternut squash soup that was to die for. We even asked for the recipe. The owners and their daughter were very friendly and helpful. I do agree that some updates need to be made but hopefully they will be in time. We walked almost everywhere we went. Three blocks is NOT a far walk to Washington Street Mall. We visited the mall, had dinner at Congress Hall, went on a haunted trolley tour, visited two wineries, climbed the lighthouse, watched the sunset at Sunset Beach, went to Elaine's Haunted Dinner Theatre and visited the zoo. Overall, we had a wonderful fun-filled weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Dormer House.

Room Tip: Dormer Room was large as was the bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kalyn K
bakedapple, Manager at The Dormer House, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the feedback on the breakfast and tea time snacks. It makes me happy that you enjoyed them and wanted to make them at home too. We are always looking for areas to improve and we are in the process of doing updates as we speak! So hopefully you will come back and see us again in the future! :)

Thank you again!

Millington, Maryland
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This was probably our 10th time of staying at The Dormer House. It has a nice central location and is a good value. Hosts are always friendly Nd the accommodations are inviting. Tea time and breakfast are tasty and served on the porch.

• Stayed September 2013
bakedapple, Manager at The Dormer House, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your loyalty and coming back all these years! It means so much to us. So glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future!