“Our favorite B&B in Cape May”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Dormer House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Dormer House
Ranked #16 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Bel Air, Maryland
“Our favorite B&B in Cape May”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We had a lovely and relaxing stay at the Dormer House. The house is in a convenient location to the beach and downtown. The front porch and the sunny, cozy sun room are perfect for breakfast and afternoon tea. The breakfasts are delicious and the afternoon tea and sweets are fantastic! We stayed in The Lillian Hastings room which is small, but charming. We have stay at The Dormer House many times and always have had a wonderful experience!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Macungie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We had a relaxing and enjoyable weekend at the Dormer House. Our breakfast was delicious as well as our afternoon tea. We stayed in the Dormer Suite on the third floor which was nice and bright. The B&B could use some fresh paint and sprucing up, but it was clean and comfortable. It is in a convenient location close to the beach and shopping. We would visit again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Nutley
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I always wanted to go to Cape May and stay in a B&B. Our stay at The Dormer House in the John Jacoby Suite was interesting to say the least. We arrived a few minutes before the check in time. We rang the bell that was provided for service four times and no one came out to help us. While the B&B was clean, it certainly looked like it needed some work done on it. Some people call this type of building historical or quaint. I am in the recreation and tourism industry and I felt that it needed work done on it and I am used to seeing buildings like these. However, it would have been nice to see a light switch plate unscratched from so much use. The little things to me make quite a difference to travelers. As for the bed, my boyfriend slept on the floor. It was comfortable but I felt like I was going to fold in half when he got into bed for the night. The bathroom was also accommodating except for the fact that it was incredibly slippery. I had brought with me a little towel to use on my hair. We decided to put it down on the bottom of the bathtub before we showered to avoid slipping. Most of these issues normally do not bother me, I just adjust myself to the situation like we did. As for the breakfast, not one of the tastier ones i have had but i also wasnt that hungry in morning so I can't say too much on that subject. All in all the experience was pleasant and we enjoyed our time in Cape May. The female inn keeper was very informative with directions to the carriage rides that were close by. It was a bit of a walk to the Beach Ave. beach but we drove to the Cape May Lighthouse and the beach beyond that. I would recommend this place for a one night stay.

Rowz1
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This one of our favorite B & B's. Lucille & Dennis are the perfect hosts. They are very knowledgeable about the area and can offer suggestions of where to go, where to eat, and what to see. It is a very relaxing atmosphere, and the breakfasts are delicious. It is also conveniently located to everything - downtown, the beaches, etc.... Another great feature is that it has it's own parking lot. Around the Holidays, or special events, parking can be difficult. As with many old B & B's there always seems to be some repairs. There were a couple of things that needed attention. Nothing major, and nothing that interfered with our stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you visit their website. They have quite a variety of rooms with different features. The f...
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a nice stay for the weekend at The Dormer House. We stayed in the Com. John Jacobi suite on the second floor. It was a comfortable room and we mostly enjoyed it, but things could be improved.
The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable! The website says it is a queen but we have a queen at home, and this was definitely smaller, more like a full. Maybe queens come in different sizes? This didn't bother me, just pointing it out.
The first night was a bit chilly but we turned up the thermostat to a comfortable temperature and it warmed up. It was warmer outside the next two days and the room got really warm. There was a ceiling fan above the bed which was nice.
I was excited to have a room with a Jacuzzi. The problem with the Jacuzzi in the suite is that it would literally take 45-60 minutes to fill it. The tub is very large, and for some reason, there is not a normal capacity of water coming out of the spigot. On Friday night, there weren't as many people staying, so the hot water lasted to fill the tub halfway. I only filled it halfway because I had been waiting 35 minutes already and I just ran out of patience with filling it and figured it was good enough (it was definitely 35 minutes though.. I actually looked at the time because I was curious how long it would take). Saturday night, there were more people staying so the hot water did not last to fill it even halfway. Additionally, the shower head only had the one setting so the water shoots out like a hose. We tried to turn the knob on the showerhead but it did not change the setting. This made for a slightly uncomfortable shower.
Another thing in the bathroom which I think only happens when the heat is running- there was a weird, annoying tapping sort of noise that kept starting up, then it would stop, then it would start up. We noticed it seems to be the lower wooden wall panel next to the door (closer to the window) and if we tapped it with our foot, the noise would temporarily stop.
Breakfast in the morning was very good. There is orange juice, coffee, tea, milk, cereal and a sweet snack out every morning. Then they have the breakfast that they cook up and bring out. We were confused at first about what breakfast was and what we were supposed to do. There is a chalkboard on the deck (more towards the middle) which tells you what breakfast is. I didn't notice this until after I asked because it's in an odd place. It might be good to tell people upon checking in so that they know.
The first morning, we had French Toast (and sausage) which was delicious and exactly what I was in the mood for. The next morning was a cheesy egg scramble, bacon, potatoes, and biscuits. We skipped breakfast that morning but still went down for a couple biscuits and beverages. The only complaint I would have (and most people wouldn't have this problem, probably), is that I don't eat meat products and would have preferred that the meat be on a side plate so as to not touch my other food. This is just a personal preference for me though, and I wouldn't expect many other people to care about this.
The location is very convenient. We had never been to Cape May before so we were confused on where everything was. At first, Cape May doesn't seem very easy to navigate. I found out that Washington Street has many shops so we went there. Once we found that and I looked at my smart phone google maps, we figured out where everything was, and we were very close to almost everything we wanted to do!
I know there are good and bad things in this review, but we really did have a pleasant stay overall. We booked this room with a Groupon deal and paid less than 1 nights charge for 2 nights. I would not pay $230/night to stay here, but I would purchase a Groupon again if it became available.
We did have a problem upon checking out. Through the Groupon deal, we were told that we would only owe tax while there. It was confusing because upon checking out, we were told the balance was $20 (this was not the charge for tax as expected). I received the receipt after paying and it said the tax had been paid (when?), along with the $20 that I had just paid. I was unsure where the tax was charged to since I never gave them a card beforehand. I expected that the tax itself would be charged upon checking out (with the card I handed them). I still have no idea where and if this tax was charged to, but I'm hoping it doesn't go to a debit card that has a lower balance, as I was not expecting them to charge it wherever. As for the $20 charge, I was not told about this at all and it was not in the fine print of the Groupon. Apparently if you stay in a "larger" room, you are charged an extra $10/night (for gratuity or an upgrade, I think?). The Groupon said that it was valid for all rooms with queen sized beds, so therefore, this room should've been included with being charged an extra $10/night. I read all the fine print and FAQ's to avoid this sort of confusion. I was told that they started making phone calls but that everyone they had talked to said it was ok and it became too much, so they stopped calling people. I was one of the people that did not get a call. Ok, it's $20, but this should've been mentioned ahead of time. The Groupon was very misleading saying that all rooms were included. And as I said, I still don't know where the tax was charged to, or where it WILL be charged to since it doesn't appear to have been charged yet.
I apologize for the complaints. I am not the type to bash every little thing about places, like some people, but these are things we felt were important to mention in our review.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank passionflwr
South River
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Did a weekend here and enjoyed the place, its older, but charming! The home is filled with antiques. The room was large and had its own bathroom, the breakfast was ample. Its close to the mall and several good restaurants! The ocean and boardwalk is just a couple blocks away. I would gladly stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I first saw the Dormer House on a Christmas trolley tour and have since passed it many times. I've always wanted to stay here, but could never afford it. I couldn't pass up the great discount they posted online. My family has been coming to Cape May for 20 years and we rarely stay. This was our 3rd place for overnight and favorite so far. I first delt with Nicole over the phone to book the special. If the discount is running, it's very hard to get through due to the phone constantly being busy. Not only were we were able to use discount for Valentines/Presidents Day weekend......but were also able to get a suite for $10 extra a night! The rooms are very clean, bed bug free (I do my own investigating), and spacious. No king sized beds which I prefer, but queen sized was ok. We were able to check in early at 1:30 and met the owner, Dennis. Then, around 6:00 I got a voicemail from Nicole about checking in and then she tried to key into our room, not knowing we were already there. I think there was a miscommunication amongst the staff. When the staff leaves at 6:00 pm, you are on your own, especially with keying in and out of the house. There is a camera in the lobby, but security made me feel a little leary. We stayed in one of the suites on the second floor which are both large and cozy. The bathroom did not have a lot of counter or shelf space for toiletries. I highly recommend the suite with the 2 person jacuzzi! It takes 45 minutes to fill, but worth it. Every guest gets one large towel and a washcloth. If you need extra, the staff is very attentive to getting you what you need. The beds are soft and comfortable. The heat is challenging due to the size of the the house. We discovered to crank up the thermostat as high as it will go in order for the temperature in the room to reach 70 degrees. An additional heater is provided in the room for extra warmth. As with all B & B's, the walls are thin. You can't control who stays next to you, just hope they're considerate of staying in a house as opposed to a hotel. Breakfast and afternoon tea were fantastic. You can smell everything being baked/cooking wafting throughout the house. Tea and coffee are always available in the palor 24 hrs. There are 9 tables for 12 rooms. Each table seats 2 and they turn over quickly if you need to wait. We were once again greeted by Dennis during breakfast one morning. The food is great and the location is within walking distance of everything. This B & B is also ghost free. I've been researching places to stay in Cape May for many years, especially while on house tours throughout the year. I chose the Dormer House for the discount, 2 person jacuzzi, location, and the great side porch for breakfast with many tables (as opposed to one large table in a dining room like other B & B's).

Room Tip: first floor rooms are right in the middle of everything. Choose 2nd or 3rd floor. Two suites on 2n...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple