“Lovely weekend”
Review of The Dormer House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Dormer House
Ranked #17 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Holmdel, New Jersey
“Lovely weekend”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We spent one night at the Dormer House and we loved it! The Inkeepers are very friendly and the house is really nice and comfortable. The breakfast room is very bright and cheerful with the yellow tablecloths. We had an afternoon tea with goods baked by Lucille. The parlor is decorated with lovely antiques and there is always music playing in the background and the fireplace is always on. The bedroom was comfortable and well appointed and everything was very clean. The only minus is that the pullout bed where our daughter slept was not comfortable. You can hear the guests walking upstairs and some conversation next room.
However, you must adjust your expectations when you are in an older house. These houses where not built with the same resources of the 20th century and you can't expect the same as
being in a five star resort. There is ample parking and the house is well located. All in all, we
definitely would go back to the Dormer House.

Room Tip: I would not stay in a first floor room because they might be less quiet. We went there in February...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Manasquan, New Jersey
Reviewed February 9, 2012

The Doherty family was so very kind and inviting but recognized when we wanted privacy...beautiful warm home with well-appointed surroundings...takes you back in time without losing modern convenience and pleasures. DO NOT MISS THE MUFFINS!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank OTgirl31
Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I just wanted to say that I had a wonderful stay at the Dormer House last month. My wonderful stay began when I walked in and was greeted by Inkeeper Lucille, She made me feel so welcome and comfortable that I felt as though I had known her for years and she was welcoming me into her home.
I was able to take a tour of some of the rooms and each was more interesting and beautiful than the last. I then met Innkeeper Dennis who shared with me the history of the house and the family who first lived there. How interesting that the Innkeeper took so much pride in his establishment and truly seemed thrilled to show me all around and share the changes and improvements he and his wife have made to the home over the years. The rooms were beautifully decorated and I looked forward to a night of peace and relaxation. I was not disappointed, I slept soundly and woke up to again join the lovely inn keepers downstairs for fresh muffins and coffee.
I would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone who would appreciate staying in a beautiful, historic bed and breakfast run by warm and gracious hosts. I will stay there every chance I get.

Room Tip: Each one is beautiful.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank DonnaMarie123
Manasquan, New Jersey
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I recently stayed at the Dormer House and had a wonderful time. The B&B is so charming, the parlor is warm and friendly, the glassed in porch used for breakfast and tea was a delight, sitting in a sun filled room eating a very tasty breakfast was a highlight of my visit. My room was beautiful and appeared newly refurbished, with a beach color theme, it was just perfect. I can't say enough about the innkeepers, Lucille & Dennis, they were so welcoming. It was easy to see that they love what they do by the extra touches everywhere, the fabulous food and baking and the charming stories about the Dormer House through the years. I will recommend the Dormer House to everyone and will be back there again soon. Go see for yourself, you will be glad you did!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Susan J
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 31, 2012

We went to The Dormer House for a long weekend in summer 2011. Walking up the path, we were greeted by a screen door with the screen dangling off and flapping in the breeze. Once inside, the heat hit! The glassed in porch, which serves as the breakfast room, has no ventilation except the screen doors, and it's very HOT. One of the owners greeted us, and showed us to our room.

The room was the Jacoby Suite, which was on the first floor, right outside the kitchen. My first impression was that it had the overpowering stench of too-much carpet fresh. At least the room did have A/C...a bit noisy, but better than the sweltering heat of the parlor & breakfast areas. It also has the odd feature of a double door closet that opens into the tub/bathroom, but does not close tightly. If you want privacy in the bathroom, forget it. There's very little between you on the toilet, and your partner reading on the bed. The room was decorated with shabby pieces, and darkened by heavy drapes, which is a downer at the beach. There was a huge old, dusty, faded plastic flower arrangement, much like those that adorned the parlor and foyer area. It was just a really disappointing, depressing space that had a dusty, unclean vibe. We decided to just stay, since it was just a place to sleep and we had family staying in a home there where we'd be spending most of our time.

The breakfasts seemed as though they were chosen to make it easy on the kitchen, not necessarily to delight the guests. One day it was a square of some sort of slimy baked egg and cheese casserole, with bacon that had an odd, paper-like consistency. The other day was French toast made from thin, plain white bread, along with pork roll. The only good thing about the whole breakfast experience was sitting on the rockers out front drinking coffee while we waited, which was actually very good.

It’s a fairly long walk to the center of town and to the beach, which we didn’t really mind, but if you’re looking for something in the center of things, this place is not it. Kenny-G was the soundtrack of the weekend. It played morning, noon, and night. It got to the point that we actually got the giggles every time we'd step into the place. Kenny G, dusty plastic flowers everywhere, heat… It was just such a bizarre place. Oh, and one of the amenities we were told about was the outdoor shower and complimentary fresh towels. The towels were out back in a tote. It seemed like a collection of threadbare, stained leftover beach towels of previous guests. Hahaha...each time we'd make one of these discoveries, we'd just have to laugh. The only thing not so funny was that we'd spent quite a lot to stay in such a bad place. We never did see the owner again after the initial greeting.

I don’t understand all the glowing reviews. Maybe we hit a bad weekend? Maybe it’s nicer on one of the upper floors? My feeling was that the owners must have lost their love for inn keeping. It really is a beautiful old home, and it has such potential. Just seemed poorly cared for, and as though they were just getting by to get by, rather than enjoying it.

Room Tip: Avoid the Jacoby room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank PM19063
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We just spent Columbus weekend at the Dormer House. The owners Lucille and Dennis were wonderful! .They were so friendly and really make you feel at home. This is our third stay at a bed and breakfast in Cape May, and I have to say this is by far the best one. I don't we will be going to any other one! We just loved the roomes, the location, and I loved the porch. It was so nice to be able to sit when we got home with a glass of wine and just really relax. The breakfast was great, loved the crumb cake! And the afternoon treat with tea was an added addition that made it another reason to make us want to come back and visit again next year! We will be back for sure loved the Dormer House!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ortley Beach, NJ
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We've been coming to Cape May every year since 2005, sometimes a few of times a year, and since 2008 the Dormer House has become our #1 B&B to stay, in fact our only place to stay.

We usually travel with one or two other couples and in the early years liked trying different B&B's in the Jackson Street area. Since being introduced to Dormer House and to owners Lucille and Dennis, we have found our home away from home. The rooms are well decorated and comfortable, expecially the room with the "secret jacuzzi". We've even stayed at their private cottage with our whole group.

Lucille is a fabulous baker. We come home after every trip with a new receipe to try but it never tastes quite as good as Lucille's Daily tea-time is a great opportunity to stuff our faces before venturing out to one of Lucille's recommended resturants - all have been fabulous.

We've spent hours with Dennis listening to his stories about Cape May and how Dormer came to be. He is entertaining as well as enlightening. We could not ask for more welcoming owners who we have come to feel like family - actually better than some family!

We love staying at Dormer House and are actually start looking forward to our next trip even before we get home from our last. Thank you Lucille and Dennis, we'll see you again soon.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends