Carroll Villa Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Our visit was simply perfect: Dinner at the Mad Batter restaurant was excellent (!) and since the hotel guests get a discount it had a great value! The live music over weekend's dinner was special, and so was the garden dinning. Both hotel and restaurant service were personal and attentive. The location is perfect - close to everything by foot...
The atmosphere at the Mad Battar during brunch was festive and friendly, and the food just perfect. The coupon for hotel guests' breakfast was the best, becuase it can be used for lunch. All in all, we felt special and welcomed!
Isaac Stein and Anat Kaluzshner

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,242)

Reviewed May 5, 2010

We attended one of the Looking Glass Mystery Series weekends at the Carroll Villa/Bedford Inn the weekend of April 23-25. If you like murder mysteries - you must attend a murder mystery weekend! I had never stayed in Cape May so I will start by saying the Carroll Villa was a pleasure. From the minute we walked in we were greeted with a smile. And the friendly and courteous service lasted all weekend long! Mark and Pam went out of their way to ensure the stay was the best it could be. The festivities surrounding the murder mystery were fabulous as well. The mystery was spread out over the 2 Inns and although we stayed at the Carroll Villa, we needed to follow clues to the Bedford. Archie went out of his way to make us feel comfortable and help us with our adventure. So the ultimate "who done it" was played out "hands on" - as you investigated clues; decoded cyphers and followed the leads to identify the killer. It was a blast!!! The Mad Batter Restaurant had great food and wonderful service. I highly recommend the Carroll Villa, The Bedford, The Mad Batter and a Murder Mystery Weekend for a wonderful get a away to Cape May...and beyond!

Reviewed May 3, 2010

I kidnapped my husband for their Washington State Wine Dinner. We had never done one of these before, but we certainly will again! The food was five star, the chef was awesome. We love wine, and love it even more now. We learned so much about the history of grapes,and their migration to this country from Europe.
The hospitality was the creme de la creme. We experienced a traffic nightmare and called ahead to let them know we would be late, and not to wait for us. They did wait the 20 minutes, and the front desk took our bags to our room without hesitation, and the rest of the evening was wonderful.
The owners were wonderful and made us feel like old friends. We will go there again, God willing. We would recommend the Carroll Villa highly to anyone.

Reviewed May 2, 2010

We had a excellent stay, and the room was exactly as in the picture. Be careful to pick a room which matches a floor your good to stay on. The property is a traditional victorian house, and hence has steep stairs - if you have a lot of luggage Id avoid a top floor room.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2010

This was our second time staying at the Carroll Villa. The first time was a few years ago for a long weekend. The staff was great, the service was great, the food was great and the room was cozy and clean. This time my husband and I spent a long weekend at the Carroll Villa, and they were hosting a murder mystery weekend. The staff was great, the room was nice and clean and the food at the Mad Batter was delicious again. The murder mystery was excellent. I would suggest that anyone interested in this type of entertainment to keep an eye out for it. You won't be dissapointed with either the BB or the mystery weekend.

Reviewed April 10, 2010

When I write a review, I like to start with the positive first: the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the waitress that served us breakfast both mornings at the attached restaurant was very nice.
Now, let me tell you why you should avoid the Carroll Villa hotel--rude service by the check-in agent and even the owner! When I walked to the check-in counter, the lady working gave me the key and told me where to find my room. After I went upstairs, I noticed the room she gave me was not the room I specified booking through bedandbreakfast.com. So I went back downstairs, told her it was the wrong room, and asked to move rooms. She told me the room was the only one available and that, if there was a problem that I didn't get the room I wanted, then it was bedandbreakfast.com's problem.
I then told her that I wanted to cancel my reservation and find a different B&B, at which point, she told my I couldn't cancel. I told her I didn't think it was very good customer service, at which point, she raised her voice to me to the point where she was almost yelling.
Since I had not raised my voice once in our conversation or used any type of profane or inappropriate language, I asked her why she was raising her voice to me.
Her response made my jaw drop to the floor. She said she raised her voice because I [direct quote] "wouldn't shut up long enough for her to..." I stopped her at the "to" and asked to see her boss. She went away for several minutes and then came back with the owner of the B&B. I recounted the story for him, and he said he stuck by his employee and that there was nothing that they could do about the room. He wouldn't let me cancel my room. His big customer service idea? He offered to buy me a drink to start over and offered me 30% off if I had dinner in his restaurant. What he didn't know is that I had been on his web site and thus knew that any guests staying in his B&B already got 30% off on dinner. [Tip to business owners--don't offer someone a special customer service courtesy if you already offer it as a published, standard service visible on your web site.]
He did offer to let us cancel the 2nd night, and we called around to see if we could find a different B&B for night two, but we had no luck. So we were stuck in his place for the weekend. While my fiancee and I met plenty of nice people in Cape May, these two folks were not among them. I certainly intend to go back to Cape May and will definitely use the bedandbreakfast.com service again. But I will avoid this place like the Plague.

4  Thank uncbhart22
Rangers1, Owner at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2010

To uncbhart22:

While we are always appreciative of constructive criticism, we do not take kindly to false statements. You do not mention anywhere in your review the fact that your initial complaint was the lack of a bath tub you claim was in the room you booked through bedandbreakfast.com. Since we only have two rooms with bathtubs and they were both occupied, we were unable to do anything to change the circumstances of your issue with your room. It is unfortunate that because you were unhappy with this fact, and the fact that you were told that you should address your dissatisfaction with bedandbreakfast.com, which is the website you booked through, you instead chose to lash out at us. It became obvious and is even more obvious from your review, that even though we were not to blame, there would have been nothing we could have done. You were never told that you could not cancel your reservation. We are a hotel, not a jail and our doors lock from the inside, not the outside. I would certainly not have stayed in a hotel such as the one you describe in your review. You were, however, reminded of our cancellation policy which you should have been well aware of since you clearly stated you had been on our website. This policy is also available through all of our booking agents, including bedandbreakfast.com. In conclusion, we recommend you read some of our other reviews. You will be hard pressed to find any that do not find our staff to be anything less than friendly and accommodating.

Reviewed March 17, 2010

I took my girlfriend to the Carroll Villa Hotel for Valentines Day and it was perfect. We have stayed before and it is always great; but being Valentines Day they went all out to make it perfect!! I HIGHLY Recommend it for a nice Romantic Weekend for two.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple