“Birthday Getaway”

GreenLeadersGold level
Bridgeville, Delaware
“Birthday Getaway”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Carroll Villa Hotel for two nights to celebrate his birthday. The room was very nice. Originally, our room was on the third floor. I emailed the staff, and asked if we could be on the second floor, and they kindly obliged. We stayed here because I had a Groupon offer. The room was $89 per night. It included a $30 credit for breakfast each morning at the Mad Batter. Breakfast was outstanding each morning! The Groupon offer also included 2 wine tastings at 2 different local wineries, a complementary bottle of wine, and a 30% off of dinner at the Carroll Villa. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We hope to stay here again, when we visit Cape May.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janice S
Rangers1, Front Desk at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thank you for your nice review and for choosing the Carroll Villa Groupon offer. Sounds like you used your time wisely and enjoyed all of the amenities to the fullest. We hope to see you again soon. Jill, front Desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Wayne, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed at the Carroll Villa Inn . It was a special from Travelzoo and we loved the Inn. We had room 26 in the Annex. The wallpaper is a bit bold for my taste but the bed was very comfy and we had a refrigerator. All the staff is very nice and accommodating
We ate dinner and breakfast at their restaurant, Mad Batter. Both meals were excellent. After dinner we went into the bar and there were 3 Guitarists playing by the fire. It was most enjoyable. The beach was less than a block away so we were able to walk to it. Even a sunny day in February is great day at the beach.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie P
Rangers1, Desk Clerk at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
We are appreciative of your review and glad to hear you had such a good time in Cape May with your Travel Zoo package and enjoyed the guitar music as well. Please come back soon. Thank you form the Staff at the Hotel
Mahwah, New Jersey
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We are frequent visitors of Cape May and saw a great deal for a weekend stay at the Carroll Villa Hotel. We love Jackson Street and the Mad Batter and decided to give it a try. The staff was very pleasant. The room was clean and nicely decorated. The bathroom was a bit small, but because it was an old Inn I can't complain. We were on the second floor, and for someone who isn't used to a lot of stairs this may be a problem. Also, you are given complimentary parking pass but the parking lot is several blocks away. This is OK in nice weather, but I can see it being difficult in rain or Winter weather. The breakfast coupons are excellent and the dinner discount was just an added bonus because we always eat at the Mad Batter when we visit. Overall, I am glad we gave the Carroll Villa a try.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WDWfan80
Rangers1, Desk at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
We are happy to know you gave the Carroll Villa a try for your weekend getaway to Jackson St. in beautiful Cape May and so glad that you enjoyed what we have to offer. As you know, due to the historic nature of our building and surroundings, we do not have on premise parking. However, from November 1st through April 30th, the parking meters are not in service and the street parking is free. From May 1st to Oct. 31st when the meters are operating, we secure the parking lot so that we may offer our guest a free place to park if they choose. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope you will stay with us again soon. Jill and Kathi, Front Desk
Midland Park, New Jersey
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed here for many years in both summer and at Christmas I have to say this last visit very well be our last visit.
We arrived very late on a Friday night (the front desk was aware of this and left the keys for us where we know to find them as usual) but on our way down we phoned to make sure they were sure of our arrival time, the woman at the front desk (not Kathy) said she had no record of our reservation!!! She said our room had been booked by someone else and after several minutes realized that someone had missed one letter of our last name when they entered it into the computer. How could anyone not see the closeness of our name and the name they had down was beyond us! We talked about it for most of the 3 hr trip.
After arriving at 2:00am we noticed how cold the room was. My attempts to kick the heat up was futile and nothing seemed to work ( the remote control you use to set the temp is nothing short of requiring a degree in HVAC.) So we all slept in our clothes with coats and all the blankets we could find. I wasted no time in notifying the front desk of this before breakfast which they apologized for and promised to have it fixed ASAP. While I was walking away from the front desk the maid who services the room told me that she had mentioned the heat not working in our room and they apparently "forgot" about it!!!!! This really burned me up. After breakfast (which was excellent as usual) I came back to the room to find a repair man trying his best to fix it without much luck. He resorted to bringing in a portable electric heater which warmed the room well enough but it had no temp setting so at 4:00am I awoke broiling and needed to open a window to cool off.
When I checked out I relayed my disappointment to Kathy who sympathized but offered no compensation for 2 horrible nights stay for returning guests yet!!
While I'm on the subject I have to say they redecorated the room (34) beautifully but some other things that haven't changed and probably never will is the very poor water pressure in the shower, absolutely no place to put your toiletries except one small shelve above the sink and no heat in the bathroom so you freeze coming out of that crummy shower. All this at roughly 350.00/night?
I've stayed at other historic inns and hotels who have updated the bathrooms beautifully and have paid less.
Sorry Carroll Villa, but some other updates need to occur before I would even consider going back!

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank johnlovesfla
As you know, the Carroll Villa is an older building, circa 1882. The Proprietors are constantly upgrading and maintaining the premises. We are sorry for the confusion over your reservation and for the distress it caused. We are also sorry for the heat inconvenience however all of our individual heaters do have knobs on them to adjust the output. Perhaps this feature was unfamiliar to you. We are glad you enjoyed your breakfast and hope you will consider staying with us again sometime. Jill and Kathi, Front Desk
New Jersey
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We recently chose this B&B to bring our children to Cape May to see the Christmas lights and experience Cape May at a different time of year. We have a 4 year old and a 7 year old. When we arrived, I was disappointed by my first impression. The front porch of the Mad Batter had all the chairs upturned and packed away for the off season and the few weeks the hotel will be closed. After passing through the porch, there is an old door that sticks to make your way through and then into the front desk. The front desk is a small alcove that reminded me of a bank window or take out window marked by a small sign. There was no way to see the person seated there until you went to peer in. The welcome I received was pleasant and after getting the room keys I passed by the small parlor. It had all the requisite items, a small fireplace, cozy seating, menus, books and games but it seemed to lack something. I have to say I was sorely disappointed by the meager Christmas decorations. We have been to other B&Bs and even on this trip stopped in to a few other places and the decorations were marvelous, bright and cheery. The parlor felt like Grandma's house with Grandma's decoration, a small tree and some garland. The rest of the place was not decorated at all. I had hoped for a really festive feel to the inn.
We stayed in room 28 in the annex. I have read other reviews about the stairs and have stayed in many inns ourselves so I thought nothing of the comments about the steep stairs but boy or boy...if stairs are an issue, DEFINITELY don't stay on the third floor in the annex. The staircase was narrow and these were some of the steepest stairs I've ever seen. That said my four year old was able to manage them on his own but I kept telling him to hold the railing. The halls were well-kept and the room was beautifully kept up. Room 28 has two rooms in it, a sitting room with a pullout couch and a recliner and a bedroom with an ocean view...what a view straight down to the beach from the bed. The wallpaper was a beautiful blue and the paint all looked fresh so I was able to tell that the owners care about the upkeep. A few other strange/quirky issues about the room that the owners might be able to change...others maybe not...1. no nightstand on one side of the bed so I had to put my water bottle and book on the floor..2. a strange painting of a city skyline in the bedroom...why not something beachy?...this seemed to have no reason to be there..3. a plastic shower stall, plenty of hot water but not much room to move around, certainly not luxurious and a shower curtain which matched the color scheme of the bathroom but again seemed a strange design choice...it had pictures of aprons and dresses on it...4. the toilet was right against the wall so a large adult would not have much room to move and finally the room windows are original. This meant that being on the street and two floors above the restaurant, we heard a good bit of noise...the people talking as they walked on the sidewalk, the man delivering milk at 3:30, the garbage truck at 7. Maybe when the windows are replaced this noise would be cut down. I'm surprised the owners haven't done this already...despite the expense, it would help save on utility costs and make the inn quieter for guests. Despite the noise, we slept fairly comfortably on the very firm bed and enjoyed the coffee that was out in the parlor in the early morning. We went to the Mad Batter for a tasty breakfast and used the voucher we were given. Our bill was about $5 less than the voucher we were given and we were quite full. The night before we had stopped in for half priced drinks during happy hour and were pleased at how well made the drinks were. Next time, we might take advantage of the 30% off the restaurant gives from the dinner bill for guests. The menu looked great.
Checkout was a breeze. We asked about some other rooms and saw two more on the third floor of the annex and they were both beautiful, room 34 and 31. We will consider these next time...you lose the view but it may be quieter as they are in the middle and back of the inn. Overall, a good find, especially since we were able to bring the kids. There are more luxurious inns in Cape May to go as a couple for similar pricing or just a bit more but the Carroll Villa served us well and we will return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank KAMS
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your suggestions. We are happy to know that the Carroll Villa served you and your family well and we look forward to hosting you again sometime soon. Jill, Front Desk
Bordentown, New Jersey
Reviewed December 31, 2013

12/27 & 12/28---Cape May is beautiful at Christmastime. Madbatter dinner and breakfast were outstanding...both food and service. Breakfast was included in reasonsble room rate
and dinner was 30% off for overnight guests. Our room was small, but well appointed
and clean. Location is excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs45: Thank you for your nice review detailing your Christmas time visit to the Carroll Villa Hotel. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and hope you can come back again sometime soon. Jill, Front Desk
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I am going to give you the positive first. The hotel was in a convenient location, restaurant staff was very pleasant, and the breakfast was good.

Now for the not so good. My husband and I planned to stay at this hotel for 4 nights. We only lasted there for two. The room was quite small and the bathroom was tiny. The bathroom door did not shut and was exceptionally noisy. The stairs to the room were steep and narrow and it was difficult to get suitcases to your room. No parking for the hotel. Now all of these issues were tolerable since it was an old building. However, the bed and pillows were completely unacceptable. The pillows were compacted and hard as bricks. I had to ball up some fleece wear to use as a pillow. The bed, which the hotel claims was new, was terrible. By the second morning of our visit, we both had backaches. I could barely stand up and my leg was numb, which is not normal for me at all.

Now for the manager. After the second morning, we decided that we could not suffer through this anymore. I approached the front desk and told the person at the desk that we were going to check out because of the bed and pillow problems. She said she was just a fill-in and could not authorize a refund. She was pleasant but not able to help. We went to eat breakfast and returned to check out. She said she was sorry and told me to call the manager the next morning. Then she asked if we wanted to try another room, to which I said no, I could not sleep another night on a bed that caused that much pain. She wouldn't give me any record that we checked out early, but said she had documented it.

The next day I called the manager, as suggested. She immediately said she would not give me even a partial refund and said they had offered us a deluxe king-size bed, which they had not. She was extremely rude and said that it was on me and she insisted the bed was new. Then she told me it was probably the weather that caused my backache. I told her that I was going to put a negative report on Trip Advisor, reflecting what happened and her curtness. She then warned me that they get to respond to my report. The remainder of the conversation was her wishing me a happy new year and hanging up.

So, I would suggest avoiding any hotel that treats it's customers like this. I am sure they will provide a response, but I would suggest that you look at the other negative responses they have received, as you will see that others have experienced the exact same problems.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
17 Thank MWayman13
Rangers1, Front Office Manager at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
We are sorry for your unhappiness with your room and wish you would have said something right away. We would have done everything we could have to make you more comfortable. However, there is a cancellation policy in effect at this establishment as we believe there are at most bed and breakfasts throughout the industry. We try to make a point of explaining it when taking a reservation and as a precaution, the policy is included on the Confirmation Letters that we send to all confirmed guests. Again we apologize for the misunderstanding and any inconvenience you may have experienced. Although we try very hard to make the Carroll Villa a great place to stay, occasionally the historic lay out is not for everyone. Kathi, Manager and Jill, Desk Clerk