“Centrally located with a great staff”

Carroll Villa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersGold level
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
“Centrally located with a great staff”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I travel alone, so I like to stay at a bed and breakfast where I can get to know my hosts and staff. I was very happy to find the Carroll Villa online, and delighted when I got there and realized I was only one block from the beach and also only one block from the shopping district. Perfect! Plus it was nice to have live music right downstairs nightly. Kathi, Pam, Jill and the staff were wonderful and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Rangers1, Hotel Desk at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Diane, It was a pleasure to meet you and we are glad you found the Carroll Villa to be a great place in a great location. It was nice to see you enjoying yourself in our great little town. We hope you will dance your way back to us sometime soon. Thank you for your review.
Yours truly, Jill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
NY
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Staff was super friendly and location is perfect - literally a minute from the main strip and the beach.The walk from the public parking lot to the hotel is not the best, but it's not as far as other reviews make it seem - shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes. The rooms were super clean and there was no issue with the noise. It is a little expensive but the location alone justifies the price.

Only 2 complaints:

$30 voucher for breakfast was nice, but memorize the menu the night before because the moment you sit down the staff is all over you for your order. We told them we needed a few minutes and I think the waiter actually came back about 60 seconds later. They rush you out as quickly as they can because the wait time for a table at breakfast was about 30 minutes. Food in general is OK, big portions but nothing special.

If you are staying in the Annex pack 1 bag - the staircase is super narrow and carrying things up and down - especially a baby stroller - is hell.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
North East, Maryland
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was my first stay at the Carroll. Two friends and I shared Room 31. We were welcomed, and treated with courtesy by each and every staff member. The owner took pains to speak and check in with us on our comfort. SHORT walk to EVERYTHING - beach, shopping, and great food. We ate only breakfast at the Carroll [with our breakfast credits]; GREAT food! Our room was cool, comfy, and quiet. We can't wait to visit the Carroll again!

Room Tip: Go to the web site to view each room, along with details. You will find just what you're lookin...
Green Features: I read in their blog that they fuel a car with used oil. Check it out!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Rangers1, Front Desk Clerk at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your praise of the Carroll Villa. We are glad you enjoyed your room and found it comfortable and that you enjoyed Cape May and all that it has to offer right outside our door. You are always welcome and we hope to see you soon. Yours truly, Jill, front desk
SW VA
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had a lovely little room, and the staff here was great, and breakfast at the Mad Batter was delicious. It is very close to the beach and restaurants and bars. The housekeepers were top notch, and done with our room before 10:30 one of the days we stayed. On the day we arrived, the weather was horrible, and they went out of their way to get me back from the parking lot dry, that is much appreciated, which brings me to my only issue, and that is that the parking is close, but just a little further than ideal. Not a big problem, given the town, though, the walk to fro is very nice. Also, be mindful of the size of your bags, being an old building, the stairs are narrow. However, if you are into Victoriana and the bit of craziness that goes with it(like we are, especially my wife) , then this is a great choice. Couldn't have found a better place for our anniversary.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013

250 a night for a shoe box? We stayed in room 25. You can hear everything... Seriously I would have happily paid an extra hundred to stay next door at the Villa which we hung out at most if the time. This place is like an expensive hostel. The front desk is behind plexi glass...(yes behind plexi glass like you're going to rob them, how inviting) They don't even stand up to greet you. $30 dollar voucher for breakfast downstairs which is expensive for what it is. The bed is HARD, meaning you'll wake your partner up if you move an inch as the bed shakes. A squirt gun has more water pressure than the shower.
You couldn't pay me to stay there again, I'd rather sleep under a boardwalk. I hope the owners wake up and make some changes and read this review. Avoid.

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank CPNYC80
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is my first review on TripAdvisor. The Carroll Villa was a nice little B&B. The food was above average and hanging out at the bar listening to the live bands was cool. Everything is within walking distance which is great. Good restaurants, bars & shopping close by. As for my room(31), I have no complaints, the room was clean and it was spacious for two people.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jasheppard29
Rangers1, Front Desk Clerk at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us in Cape May and that you liked the music. Thank you for your nice review.
Atglen
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My room was nice, my parents room was small, my friends room was a closet with a bed... all bathrooms were nice. It was fun, and my first bed and breakfast experience. If you want to stay near the beach and the center of town, this is the place for you.... also good air conditioner!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank JeanieC1
Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you had fun staying at our bed and breakfast hotel. Please come again sometime. Have a great summer.