WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersGold level
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
“Warm Oasis in the Snow”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Having gotten married between semesters, our anniversaries come in winter. We spent our 54th anniversary at Carroll Villa amid a mild snowstorm. Despite the cold, we enjoyed the beauties of a windswept Cape. Having the Carroll Villa as an oasis of warmth made our two-night visit memorable. The room was large and lovely and the staff were very friendly. With a very good restaurant attached, we didn't have to brave the cold for an excellent meal. The breakfasts here exceed all norms; they could easily carry one through the day.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Rangers1, Owner at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Congratulations on your 54th wedding anniversary..It is certainly something to celebrate! Pam and I will be married 30 years this month...We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you come see us for your 55th anniversary. Mark Kulkowitz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Spent a weekend in January at the Carroll Villa to celebrate my husband's birthday. We had a room on the second floor of the annex which is above the Bar and restaurant - not a big deal if you are out late as we were but definitely a consideration if you're planning on turning in early as the bar is a hot spot and there was (great) live music there both nights we were there. It ended at 11:00 pm but it is worth noting.

The hotel is conveniently located near quaint Washington Street Mall and just half a block from the shore, so it's easy to park the car and explore the town on foot. The Bar is very popular (with both locals and visitors) and is a great place to grab a happy hour drink (3 - 6 pm) and listen to some great talent or get some advice on what to do from one of the great bartenders. The owner, Mark, is definitely a presence and gets out and interacts with guests. We had a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex are directly above the bar - if you are bothered by noise and tend to turn in be...
1 Thank Suzski
Rangers1, Owner at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thanks for your remarks....Music is a big part of the hotel/restaurant...We try to stop all our music about 10:30 at nite as we want to be considerate of our guests...We have solo, duo and trios for our music...All different styles, genre..It changes weekly and right now we have music Thur-Sun...Open Mic on Thur and Sun. Hope to see you soon-Mark Kulkowitz, Owner
Philly
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I guess I can't blame the hotel for the fact that I just happen to be there for the two coldest days of the year! In fact, it's a good thing I was at a nice inn, as I spent more time indoors than I normally have while at Cape May, even in winter.

I booked one room on the second floor, and was a little dismayed that they took the liberty of moving my reservation to another, first floor, when I mentioned using a cane. I went along with it, though, and was glad I did. Room 20, their only first floor room was beautiful - nice size, gorgeous comfy bed, lovely furnishings. I wished there had been a tub and not just a shower, but, otherwise, it was a very nice room. There was a wonderful little front porch that it was too cold to use, but my husband and I talked about returning in the spring to take advantage of that.

The blustery winds made their ways indoors and the room grew quite cold, in spite of the heater. I asked for a space heater and had one set up very quickly and this remedied the problem completely.

The staff were friendly and helpful at every turn. I came down to Cape May on my own, but my husband joined me for the last night. I was treated right both as part of a couple and as a solo traveler - as any woman traveling alone can attest to, this doesn't always happen and it truly matters.

Only complaint about the room was the noise from the stairs just outside the door. Someone came running down these early in the morning and it sounded like the sky was falling over my head! I imagine the more frequent foot traffic of high season would make that a real annoyance. I'm not sure how insulated it would be from the restaurant's noise in summer either.

There's a very nice common area - living room - and there was a nice fire going in there. Location couldn't be better, just a few steps from either the heart of town or the beach. I would definitely stay here again...though maybe I will try to find a good long term weather forecast first if I am traveling in winter!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank LisaAC
Cape May Court House, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I surprised my husband with a "night away" homemade coupon for Christmas! The Caroll Villa was one of the few B&Bs that didn't have a 2 night minimum. I really appreciated that flexibility! The "Happy Hour" was the best! Loved the Irish Potato Martinis and the Cape May beer! The bar was packed, yet our bartender (Joanne?) managed to take care of everyone quickly, professionally and in a very friendly manner! Dinner and breakfast at the Mad Batter were excellent, though our dinner waitress was not the friendliest! The 30% coupon towards dinner, and the $30 voucher for breakfast was quite a surprise! Not sure if this is a regular thing, or just because it's winter. We live locally, and will be spreading the word to friends and family about our positive stay!

Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We visited the Caroll Villa Hotel in January and had a nice stay. The room was nice, although the heat was difficult to control. Also, we had purchased a living social escape, and while we liked the location of the hotel and the pasta making class, the breakfast/mimosa and dessert with dinner had catches associated such as time of day and mandatory ordering of an entree vs. light meal for dinner in order to use the dessert coupon. We have used living social escapes on many occasions and have not run into such roadblocks. As for the hotel, we have stayed at other B&B's in Cape May and enjoyed them more. I am unsure if we will go back to Carroll Villa. But, the pancakes at the Mad Batter are to die for!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 21
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jclark2007
Rangers1, Owner at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
It was nice meeting you last week.. We are glad that you enjoyed the room , the breakfast-especially the pancakes-the mimosas and bloody mary's and the pasta making class with Jon Davis...A couple points -we are different than any other bed and breakfast in that on weekends and in season you can enjoy our wonderful breakfasts from 8:00-3:00...That allows one to sleep late or eat early as you wish....That to us is the best of both worlds. In respect to the dessert given free with the purchase of two dinner entrees....That was stated in the offer with Living Social, when you checked in.....We were very transparent... We will look into the heat and see if there are any issues..Each room has its own heat plus baseboard heat that runs thru out the main building.
Happy New Year!-Mark Kulkowitz, Owner
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Six couples had dinner at the Batter New Year's eve and we slept over at the Carrol Villa. The food was great, the atmosphere electric and the drinks never ended. (Good thing we spent the night.)

Loved the music, lil dancing and a good time had by all.

Looking forward to doing it again and we appreciated great hosting.

Room Tip: We have stayed in may of the rooms over the years and found them all wonderful
Stone Ridge, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

From start to finish we were made to feel comfortable and well taken care of. I had some problems getting into the internet and a young staff Techy immediately helped me. Staff were all exceptional from checkin to checkout. Dinner and breakfast at the MadBatter was fabulous! This was the first TravelZoo overnight package we had ever taken advantage of and the staff at the Carroll Villa Hotel had all of our tickets for both wine tours and tastings in place, trolley historic tour in place and $30 breakfast voucher with free mimosa's in place, plus a 30% off for dinner-this one courtesy of the hotel. We would highly recommend the Carroll Villa Hotel and MadBatter restaurant.
Patti and Tom Habersaat, Victorian Knoll B&B, Stone Ridge, NY

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rangers1, Owner at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! As a 3rd generation family business we try to make our guests feel as if they have always been part of the family. We like to think that with our 1/2 price happy hours, live music, discounted dinner and a great breakfast and lunch in the center of Historic Cape May that we have it all!