“Good cruise -- knowledgeable crew -- smooth sailing”

Cape May Whale Watcher
Book In Advance
More Info
$40.00*
and up
Whale and Dolphin Watching Cruise from Cape May
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Cape May Whale Watcher is one of the largest whale and dolphin watching tourist destinations in Cape May, NJ. Outside of our popular whale and dolphin watching tours, patrons may also choose to experience a lighthouse or sunset tour. Food is available purchase and patrons may purchase tickets for a dinner cruise which includes a delicious prime rib buffet.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Don't confuse this with other whale watch cruises -- this is the company with the red and white boats, much larger than the other companies and thus more stable on the water. Captain Jeff was knowledgeable and chatty. He stopped or circled the boat often when he came up on dolphins. We saw maybe twenty pods of dolphins before heading 13 miles out looking for whales. We never found any whales, but Captain Jeff moved the ship around a lot looking for them. Just not the day for it apparently. However, Captain Jeff said we encountered more dolphins in one day than he had seen on any one cruise this summer. Don't know if that was just hype to make up for no whales, but he said it before going out looking for whales. Return trip was a bit boring because of no whale sightings and a long ride back to dock, but the weather was great, the wind took away the heat and humidity, and all had a good time. The binoculars they loan out on a first-come, first-serve basis are only fair. Bring your own or do without. Zoom lenses are a must if you are taking pictures.

1  Thank serenitywriter

Reviewed August 12, 2009

Went out just two days ago and had the best experience ever on a boat in this area. I have been going out with my father on boats since the 80s.We went on board the evening trip on board the Spirit of Cape May with the kids. I have a 4 year old girl and a 6 year old boy. They were both free.

On this sunset cruise the kids are free and eat for free. Free pizza and hot dogs were served on both decks. There was a more expensive dinner cruise, happening on the same boat and we upgraded while on the trip. I think there had been a cancellation. The food was wonderful. So we all ate our weight in food and left with full bellies. They never ran out of anything. I believe the Captain said they had 40 Pizzas

Oh yeah! And the dolphins were great too! We saw many dolphins. My children both got to see them. I got a better appreciation for seeing them in their natural environment. Im a local and I knew we had dolphins, but I had no idea we had this many dolphins. It seemed like they were endless. The seas were calm and the sun did set, behind a cloud. When I spoke to the naturalist, he said that has been happening a lot in 2009. That was ok. Everyhting else was amazing except the sunset. Better luck next time

Clean Boats, great parking, exceptionally freindly crew, funny and clear speaker. This place is family owned and it really seems like they are in it for the long haul. Nice walyways and ramps on the way to the boat! The other boats in Cape May (there have been a few) have up signs stating Condos coming soon? Haven't we lost enough waterfront to rich guys! Go to the Miss Chris Marina if you are looking for a family experience with actual family on board, who care about you

1  Thank travelingchristopher
Reviewed August 8, 2009

This was our family's third ever jersey shore boat ride and the first time on the Cape May Whale Watcher. We all had a great time and we learned a lot about the dolphins we saw.

3  Thank dtshifter
Reviewed July 12, 2009

My husband and I have been going to Cape May for 6 years now, and except for the last 2, we have always made a point of going on the Cape May Whale Watcher(but having 2 babies in 2 years we have not taken them yet) Capt. Jeff makes the trip fun, and a wonderful learning experiance for Big and Little Kids. Well worth the time, one year we actually saw a 40 ft. Humpback Whale, about 6 miles off the Cape May Coast Line. Enjoy, we do.

2  Thank Jack & Tessa
Reviewed June 18, 2009

I bought tickets to see dolphins for the 6.30pm cruise. Since the website states that they do not issue refunds, I checked the weather forecast before I purchased the tickets.

It turns out that a fog moved in and they cancelled the trip due to poor visibility. They offer refunds but most people decided to come on the next day at 10.00am. Though we had to spend an unexpected night, we arrived next morning and found that there were a few people. They cancelled the cruise again blaming the bad weather. Although it was cloudy, the weather was not bad. It was clear the reason for cancellation was due to small number of customers.

We came back for the 1.00pm cruise and spent three hours in the sea. We saw dolphins but saw no whales. During the cruise we learnt that whale sighting are hard to come by and you are very lucky to spot one. Captain of the boat is experienced and was the guide for the tour. He had many helpers who were looking for marine mammals.

The Cape May Whale Watcher has two boats. They are very large and very clean. Compared to other whale/dolphin watching boats these boats are very large. I checked out the bathrooms and they have very clean bathrooms. When the boat is in motion, it is very stable and smooth. The boat tends to rock when they turn off the engines for brief periods of time to observe dolphins.

Free parking is available right next to the Miss Chris Marina Dock.

website http://www.capemaywhalewatcher.com/