“Fourth of July Fun”

Cape May Lighthouse
Ranked #3 of 59 things to do in Cape May
More attraction details
Owner description: 1859 Cape May Lighthouse, fully restored. Climb 199 steps to the top for a breathtaking view of the Atlantic Ocean and Delaware Bay. Open daily. Evening trolley tours. Museum shop.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Fourth of July Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Visited on a very windy July 4th. In fact, they closed light house because of the weather conditions just a few minutes after we left. But it was a easy to get to, easy to park, with beautiful grounds and a lovely setting. The kids loved the climb (the old folks, not so much). But worth it for the wonderful view!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank thedcdiva
Mid-AtlanticCenter, Manager at Cape May Lighthouse, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
The climb to the top of the Lighthouse is worth the time and energy it takes. The view is beautiful. We are weather dependent and high winds and storms do cause us to close for the safety of our guests and keepers. Thank you for visiting and please come back.

tauranga newzealand
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“a priority to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

So much to see in Cape May, however the lighthouse is well worth including in your list of things to do.
Either drive or bike (if you are fit) and make the climb to the top...well worth the effort, as the views are spectacular

Visited July 2014
While we are at the tip of New Jersey, the Lighthouse is easy to find and great to visit. The Lighthouse and State Park are two of the area's treasures. We're glad you found them and took the time to climb. The reward at the top is that incredible view of the Cape. Thanks for visiting and tell your friends we're here.
Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania, United States
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Nice walk on a windy day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

We did not climb the lighthouse as it was very windy. But we enjoyed walking in the boardwalk type trails. The visitor center is small but clean. A nice way to kill a little time on a non-beach day.

We hope you return and climb. You can't beat the view from the top. The State Park is a wonderful place to spend some time.
Snow Shoe, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Place to Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

Visiting the Cape May Lighthouse is a pleasant experience! It is nice to enjoy the lighthouse, the beach, the bird observatory. Great way to spend a day while visiting Cape May.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Anne H
Mid-AtlanticCenter, Manager at Cape May Lighthouse, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
The Lighthouse and State Park provide plenty of activity for a fun day. Thank you for visiting and please come again.
Beckley, West Virginia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“I did it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

Three years ago, I was 350 pounds and walked with a walker. I had a gastric bypass and lost 160 pounds. (I have gained a little back, but have kept at least 130 off). This was a huge challenge for me and was definitely on my bucket list. My son and his girlfriend are healthy and fit--and this was no challenge at all for them. For me, it involved climbing 199 steps. It is not for the faint of heart or the non-fit. (I am not fit but I have determination--my son calls me a bulldog). I joked that on the way up, it was my lungs and on the way down, it was my knees. However, the amazing view from the top made it all worthwhile. Having seen it even made the muscle pain on the day after all worthwhile. I agree with others to take your time and enjoy all the work that has been put into the landings. Everyone there is really nice and seems to enjoy their work. This was a major achievement for me.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Mary M
Congratulations on your accomplishment! The view from the top is certainly a reward for the climb. And it makes you appreciate the life of the keeper who lugged gallons of oil to the top every day. Thanks for visiting and please come again.