“Horrible Upkeep; Not even worth it if it were free”

Camden Children's Garden
Ranked #5 of 16 things to do in Camden
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Camden Children's Garden is designed for children and families. It is a special place to explore and discover the natural world. The four-acre garden provides horticultural experiences for creative and imaginative play.
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I last went to the Children's garden 10 years ago with my first son. It was beautiful and we had a great time. The park is now not even somewhere I would take my kids if it were free let alone paying to get in. 2 of the 3 rides were broken. The butterfly house ( the highlight for my 6 yr old) had 3, yes only 3, butterflies in the whole place. We have more butterflies in our own backyard!! Everything was dirty and in need of some significant repair and restoration.There were weeds growing through everything. We were done in 10 minutes. Don't waste your money or time!!!!! I would rate it ZERO stars if that were an option!!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

AAA highly recommended this place with all its interesting reviews. I came to visit my family and my 8 month old grandson from Maine to be very disappointed about the condition of the park. You would never see such a sight of disrepair in Maine. The garden was dead. The flowers and trees were brown. The frog pond had trash in it. No wonder there were no frogs. The walls and the tiles on the walls were torn down. The place needed painting badly. Then we were excited to see the butterflies. No wow factor. Three butterflies to be found. When we asked the attendant if there were anymore butterflies he told us they were hiding. REALLY! We spend money for the bridge, parking and entrance to be highly disappointed. Please save yourself the trouble don't waste your time. Not worth it. By yourself a hot dog instead. The man outside is more interesting.

1  Thank magtino
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We paid the $4 toll to cross the bridge to Camden in to see the butterfly house, and expected to spend the afternoon. We couldn't even kill an hour. First of all we had to pay $10 to park since they share the parking lot with the aquarium. Next we had to pay an admission fee which was $6 each including the 5 year old. I realize this isn't expensive, but once inside we walked around a few gardens and that was it. The Choo-Choo Train ride was out of service as was the other ride you can see from the parking lot, such a disappointment for me and for the child. The carousel was beautfiul, but when we attempted to ride we were informed that we needed to go back to the entrance to buy separate tickets @ $2 each. Terrible!

The actual butterfly house was bogus. There were maybe 3 butterflies. It was supposed to be an education center as well. We asked a few basic questions and the girl admitted she didn't know the answers.

We would have been better off just going to a public park for the day.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

We added a stop at the Camden Children's Garden on to our visit to the Camden Aquarium. I must say there isn't much to see. Also the plants were in a terrible state dead and not impressive at all. There is a water activity at the front entrance where water shoots up out of holes in the concrete. The pic on website made this look like fun. But, only one or two holes were working and the water wasn't really even shooting out of them. This place isn't worth the time. Maybe in the Spring with things in bloom? I don't know. I just can't recommend it at all.

7  Thank LillyKitty1972