“Disappointed, but still a good experience for kids”
Review of Adventure Aquarium

Adventure Aquarium
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Camden
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Adventure Aquarium is just minutes from downtown Philadelphia on the Camden Waterfront and features one-of-a-kind exhibits with more than 8,500 aquatic species throughout two million gallons of water. The Aquarium is home to the largest collection of sharks on the East Coast, including the only Great Hammerhead shark on exhibit in the United States, the only aquarium in the world to exhibit hippos, one of only six facilities in the US to have Little Blue penguins as permanent residents and exhibits the longest Shark Bridge in the world, a unique V-shaped rope suspension bridge just inches over Shark Realm. Adventure Aquarium is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), and is held to the absolute highest standards in animal care and exhibition.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Glenside, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Disappointed, but still a good experience for kids”
Reviewed April 4, 2007

I visited yesterday for the first time since the renovation. The placement of the cafeteria, snack stands and gift shops was a mild annoyance. Eventually my kids got used to hearing 'No' when asking if they could buy something. We paid the extra $5 per ticket for the SpongeBob 4D experience which turned into a 5 minute cartoon in 3D. For the extra $30 we spent, it was not nearly worth it, but how can we say not to a 3 year old when there is a 'Spongebob RIDE' . Extremely disappointing.

The new building and shark tunnel is very impressive. The Touch-a Shark exhibit was closed for renovation. The older building still had the atmosphere of walking through a pet shop looking at tanks of fish on the wall.
Overall impression was that I left feeling a bit taken by the $120 we paid to get in. It was good for 3 hours of entertainment, but my kids would have had just as much fun climbing in the neighborhood playground.

4 Thank pingpongs_alias

NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“What a dirty nasty place”
Reviewed August 19, 2006

Today I visited the aquarium for the first, and last time. I found it to be dirty and poorly run. There were foul odors and the water in many of the tanks was dirty. So dirty that you had trouble seeing the fish. In fact it was so bad that you could see the fecal matter in the water. I will tell anyone who asks me that they are far better off taking the drive to Baltimore to see a real aquarium, and I look forward to the day they are shut down.

5 Thank Tferrante
Mid-Hudson Valley, New York
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Excellent Place to visit!”
Reviewed July 28, 2006

We went to Sesame Place (Langhorne,PA) on 7/11 and went to Adventure Aquarium the next day (about 40 min. away). We purchased the tickets on-line (I highly recommend this to avoid long lines) and proceeded to an entrance on the side. There were outdoor exhibits and really spectacular exhibits indoors. I thought my 2 and 5 year olds might be too young for this aquarium but they were fine for the 4 hours we were there. The layout of the aquarium and the design of the exhibits were fantastic. My 2 year old was getting tired by the end so I would recommend that your child be at least 4 or 5 if this is a long trip for you. We just happen to be in the area, it was my 5 year old's birthday and he's really interested in sharks. They are having a "Live Shark week" from 7/28-8/5 that sounds great.

4 Thank 07Toni
Philadelphia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Disapointing”
Reviewed February 8, 2006

The aquarium's ballyhooed renovation has turned a small but decent aquarium into a kiddy attraction that happens to contain fish. The new layout expertly hoses parental pockets by positioning gift shops and snack counters everywhere, but lacks adequate lighting to read signs explaining exhibits. In some cases, exhibit signs are missing altogether, or are just bright, poster-like burbles of enthusiasm like "See The Seahorses!" There are a few bright spots, like the new tunnel where the sharks glide overhead, and the hippos are interesting. But overall, this aquarium seems to have abandoned it's educational mission.

7 Thank superiorlines
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Great day with toddler”
Reviewed January 15, 2006

We visited the New Jersey Adventure Aquarium on a recent winter Sunday (mid-day). I was unsure if our 1 1/2 year old would really be able to see much, but this aquarium is set up so well for even the youngest visitors to see most everything. Some of the viewing areas go right to the floor, so kids can get a really close view of the "fishies".

Tickets are time stamped (meaning a limited number of visitors can enter during each hour), and on the winter day we attended the aquarium was not at capacity. Some passage ways are a bit narrow, so I might be hesitant to visit on a very busy summer weekend.

Parking $7.00. Children under 2 are free.

A great family day!