“A Must Do!”

Adventure Aquarium
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Camden
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Adventure Aquarium is just minutes from downtown Philadelphia on the Camden Waterfront and features one-of-a-kind exhibits with more than 8,500 aquatic species throughout two million gallons of water. The Aquarium is home to the largest collection of sharks on the East Coast, including the only Great Hammerhead shark on exhibit in the United States, the only aquarium in the world to exhibit hippos, one of only six facilities in the US to have Little Blue penguins as permanent residents and exhibits the longest Shark Bridge in the world, a unique V-shaped rope suspension bridge just inches over Shark Realm. Adventure Aquarium is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), and is held to the absolute highest standards in animal care and exhibition.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed September 6, 2017

I really enjoyed my visit to the Adventure Aquarium! The tickets are reasonably priced for an aquarium, but there was a surprise $10 parking fee that I wasn't aware of until I got there. Considering I was parking in downtown Camden, NJ and there was a parking attendant, I didn't mind paying the fee because I felt my car was safe. Great exhibits. The penguins and hippos were a delightful surprise and I really liked that they did not have dolphins or whales on exhibit. There were a lot of interactive/hands on exhibits. You could touch small nurse sharks, stingrays, and star fish, lobsters, etc. At the end of your tour, there is a SHARK BRIDGE!!! You get to walk out over one of the shark tanks in a completely enclosed netted bridge and boy do those sharks look HUGE from up above! If you bring children, make sure that you teach them good manners and what an inside voice is...the constant high-pitched screaming was my only complaint. Great day trip for adults and children alike.

PRO TIP: The aquarium does have a cafe where you can purchase lunch: hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, fries, etc., but it is NOT cheap and I couldn't find anything remotely healthy on the menu. I bought a small hamburger and fries and it cost around $13, I think. Thank goodness I had a drink with me! Since you are allowed to leave the aquarium and come back, I would suggest packing a healthier lunch and eating it on the boardwalk area outside the aquarium and then go back to finish the exhibits. You'll save yourself a lot of money and the quality of food will be way better!

2  Thank Ashley R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,306)
All reviews
in 57 reviews
"food court"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

Well laid out and easy to follow floor plan. Pack your own lunch. Lots of places to eat especially nice outside by the penguins. Buy the combo ticket and take the ferry from Penns landing in Philadelphia across the Delaware. It makes round trips from each side every hour and trip takes thirty minutes with a little sightseeing thrown in including Battleship New Jersey. That was probably the highlight from my perspective. I took my two grandsons ages five and eight. Allow two to three hours. They loved the rope bridge over the sharks. My only complaint is that in The summer months there seem to be a lot of camp groups. They were large groups without enough adult supervision and they were loud pushy and aggressive. They paid a lot less than we did so maybe avoid weekdays July and August.

Reviewed September 6, 2017

My husband and I visited the Adventure Aquarium with our 22 year nephew during the Labor Day weekend. It was a huge disappointment. The ferry ride over from Philadelphia was nice but the aquarium was over run with families with children under the age of five. The exhibits were really minimal and it was very commercialized. Guests are forced to walk through a huge cafe area which sold only friend foods and sugary sodas in order to even get to the paltry exhibits. We were constantly getting bumped by strollers and there were very few aquarium employees to talk to you about the exhibits. The shark tank was interesting but otherwise not worth the $33 per person that we paid. We only spent an hour there and then caught the ferry back to Philadelphia. If you are visiting the area, you should skip this.

Reviewed September 4, 2017

My family has been talking about going to this aquarium for three years. This past holiday week-end (Labor Day), we finally decided to go and what a disappointment. First and foremost, the price. Sticker shock to say the least!!!! $28 per person over the age of 12. This price does NOT include tax. The Adventure Aquarium takes about three hours to see every exhibit which means your spending $10 per hour per person. Ouch!! Plus $10 for parking. I know the money goes towards the upkeep of the animals but the exhibits are the same as any other aquarium. For example, the Hippo Haven exhibit, the water was so murky, you could hardly see the two hippos unless they came up for air. Also, it's crowded with strollers. The exhibits are not very spacious so I got hit in the legs by strollers (single, double and even a triple stroller) at least 10 times. I actually lost count. People (adults as well as children) push you out of the way to get closer to the exhibits. We didn't see a lot of aquarium employees around the exhibits. This was our first and last visit to the Adventure Aquarium.

1  Thank Donna5905