“Never a bad meal”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 19, 2015

This is easily the best restaurant in Caldwell and right up there with the best of them in North Jersey. The food is consistently terrific.

1  Thank timhA4844VR

Reviewed May 6, 2015

A neighborhood favorite. Always busy, friendly owner/chef, food always excellent. Prices reasonable plus BYOB.

Reviewed March 18, 2015

My wife and I have dined at Divina at least six times per year and neither of us has ever had a bad meal there. While it is a barebones storefront and has no waiting area in the event you are early for your reservation (don't try to go there without one), the food is superior to all but the finest Italian restaurants in New York and perhaps Lunello in New Jersey. Our most recent experience was on a cold Wednesday night when we dined with my father-in-law who is 93 and does not possess the appetite he once did. My wife and I shared the string bean salad served with onions and roasted red peppers as we usually do at Divina; it was as good as ever, although slightly overdressed. Her dad wanted to have a goat cheese salad first and they were able to accommodate him by serving a half portion; he ate almost all of it. For my entree I ordered, as I invariably do, the chicken marango on the bone; it was perfectly cooked and served with a few sliced potatoes on the side. My wife almost always has the lasagna, which is listed as a special but seems to be always available. However, she bowed to her father's preference and shared with him a filet of branzino served on top of angel hair pasta in a white wine, oil and garlic sauce; they were pleased with their choice. The chef is the owner and he is very personable; he works the floor at least once during your meal. All of the waitstaff are exceptionally accommodating. They are quick to open your wine (it is BYO) and your water glasses are always full. While we never have had dessert there, we have strayed from our standard orders on occasion. We have enjoyed the fried zucchini as an appetizer. Whenever, I am there on a Sunday, invariably I order the pasta with Sunday Sauce, which includes sausage, meatball and bracciole. I also have had the the capellini with crabmeat and shrimp in a white wine-based sauce. Both are almost as good as the chicken. While Divina is not inexpensive, it is a bargain because of the high quality of the food and its preparation. There is a reason why it is always crowded.

Reviewed December 20, 2014 via mobile

We've been going to Divina Restaurant for years for excellent Italian food in the heart of Caldwell. The Owner/Chef Mario personally handles the details of his restaurant and is regularly moving among the Patrons talking food and family with regulars and newcomers alike.

The salads were great and the entrees hearty and flavorful. We had delicious shrimp, pasta, and I had an enormous veal chop over vegetable ragu that had me satisfied for the night. This was one night where we skipped the desserts and sipped coffee and enjoyed the company of friends out on the town.

Reservations are needed for prime times and parking is available.

Divina is a first choice for our group. It may well be for your's after dining there.

If you found this review please click on the HELPFUL button and give me feedback. Thanks

Reviewed November 20, 2014

This is a small place - and apparently always crowded during dinner hours. I've heard great things about it, and I have eaten truly authentic Italian cuisine, so was anxious to sample the menu. We made reservations and when we got there, no tables were available. We had to wait 20 minutes. I ordered the buffalo mozzarella with tomatoes, prosciutto and roasted peppers for an appetizer. Yawn. Absolutely nothing to write home about, and the tomatoes were absolutely anemic. Not garnished in anyway and no flavor. Speaking of no flavor, all our meals were a disappointment - very little flavor and small portions for a high price. I won't go back.

2  Thank mezzo50