Open today: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM, 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Review Highlights
Good visit

Great place for a walk and to learn about the area. The cranberry bogs are all around the area... read more

Reviewed November 27, 2018
mjrfd99
Toms River, New Jersey
Nice place to walk

Visited for the second time today. I went to the Blueberry Festival in June and though it was well... read more

Reviewed October 23, 2016
Jeanne732
Freehold, New Jersey

All reviews general store tucked away pine barrens cranberry bogs jersey devil company town blueberry cranberries opportunities philadelphia
Reviewed May 4, 2015

Excellent general store with home made jelly and preserves. They also have historic nik-naks and plenty of classy souvenirs. It's a good trip to give your kids a little history lesson.

Date of experience: May 2015
Reviewed September 14, 2014

Make sure you get exact gps coordinates if you do not know where Historic Whitesbog Village is located. Our gps took us elsewhere, then we had trouble finding the place. We had to get out a paper map and on our way to crossroads, we passed the entrance. There are all variety of Whites Bogs and Whitesbog Roads in the area. It is all very confusing for an outsider.

We love historic places and this one was average. The general store is the highlight. We did not go during and event so the buildings were closed. There was a bit of modern day stuff around (plastic chairs, water bottles, building supplies) which detracts from the feel of yesteryear.

Their website advertised paths for biking, so we took bikes. However, there are soft sandy patches that almost threw us from our bikes unexpectedly several times. I don't recommend planning to bike there.

The abandoned bogs are home to a smattering of herons and egrets.

You can learn quite a bit about blueberries and cranberries at the site even without a guide.

Date of experience: September 2014
1  Thank thesuburbangirl
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I actually live in the town and hadn't been to the village. It is beautiful as far as nature beauty but the history is so very interesting. If you visit don't forget to check out the general store. It has some very tasty locally produced jams, jellies and candies. I plan on coming back often an definitely in the winter months to see the tundra swans.

Date of experience: June 2014
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My friend and I made reservations to take the bus tour to see the Cranberry Harvesting. There is a lot more to this than the average person knows. We were on a small bus (around 20 people) with the owner driving and his wife narrating what we were seeing including the village itself as well as the harvesting.. They were both excellent guides. Good opportunities for pix. Well worth the fee.

Date of experience: October 2013
3  Thank plmBrickNJ
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I had no idea what to expect. We took the tour of the cranberry farm in the owner's brand new tour bus. I learned to have respect for the farm industry in NJ and to appreciate the cranberry. We were escorted by Joe and Brenda Darlington themselves. They provided audio tour devices for the walking portion. I had not seen restored properties quit like those in the village. They are rentable.
This is an appreciate nature environment. The general store is the definition of quaint. The little old ladies that run it are not to be missed for warmth and charm. There were school groups going in and out of this historic site none stop. I would recommend wearing comfortable shoes, not going in bad weather, closes at dusk bring picnic foods. Free parking, sandy dirt paths.

Date of experience: October 2013