“I did not find it as bad as some of these other reviews” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Legacy Vacation Resorts-Brigantine Beach

Legacy Vacation Resorts-Brigantine Beach
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Brigantine
Ottawa, Canada
“I did not find it as bad as some of these other reviews”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

First off, I booked a week here though a time share exchange. The place was well reviewed on their site, so we took it. Just before we left, we checked here when I downloaded the Trip Advisor app for my Android - yikes!

Not expecting a great experience, we were actually quite happy how things worked out.

We ended up in the main (tower) building on the fifth floor overlooking the parking lot. This gave us a good view up the beach (to the north) as all the rooms face north or south, not east over the beach. The view was unobstructed whereas the south view towards AC might have the villa building in the way on the lower floors. The south facing rooms will be over the kitchen vents, so get a high floor on that side. The are no balconies in the main tower, but were there in late October.

Yes, the bar / restaurant is noisy. We just left the AC on during the weekend nights which did a good job of drowning it out (and not much noise gets in the three inches the windows open). The rest of the week, there was not a lot of noise.

And parking is crazy on the weekend nights as the hotel has seemingly one of the few restaurants in town. However, there was a valet and he only gave out spots to those staying at the hotel - however, I told him that I was staying at the hotel and he moved a cone to let me in. Be aware that you might get double parked if you park near the main doors and may need the valet to move some cars (park by the pool to avoid this).

It is an old hotel which provided the advantage of good sound proofing between the rooms. Sound from around the door was evident (people, put some trim around the doors!), but no issue at all. Actually, replace the entire door - it looked pretty used up. The rest of the unit was okay (painted and clean), but some water damage in the bathroom around the tub. The bathroom was cramped with no space to put stuff.

The kitchen was very functional with a good size fridge / freezer, but could benefit from some more utensils, oven mitts, etc. There was only a setting for four and we had to run the very compact dishwasher every day. There were no cleaning supplies or towels when we arrived, but that was an oversight the front desk corrected quickly. They also called a couple of days into the vacation to ensure all was well. They did not clean or make up the room during the stay (no big deal), but they might if you booked this as a hotel as opposed to a time share as we saw cleaning staff almost every day on our floor.

There was a safe in the room to store valuables, but there was no sign that anyone every came into the room.

We never used the pool. We did go to scout it at 8PM one night and it was closed even though it was supposed to be open until 10.

There is a liquor store, grocery store and take out / eat in / fresh fish place one block west (the main street) and north. I highly recommend them all. There is also a pharmacy another block farther north. There is not much else around here (other than the restaurant / bar) in the hotel.

This place is right on the beach (and sand fills the parking lot). I'm not sure the hotel would be so great in the summer given the lack of balcony and windows that fully open.

Room Tip: Get a high floor if in the main tower - the lower floors will be noisier and / or smellier
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank human3500

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
New York, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

We come every year and every year we wonder why we come. The hotel is dated. I don't have a problem with that fact. It has changed hands a number of times and while the latest stream of renovations has helped, it still can't seem to shake this depressing, dark feel. It feels like a cross between being in an LA film noir set and the room after Morgan Freeman gets out in The Shawshank Redemption. There's just something sort of grey and a bit sad about the space. The lights are really brash, the paint is peeling, the windows are really small, it's dark even during the day, the bathrooms have no shelves or space for toiletries, the hallways have stains (our door looked like it was rubbed with soot), the front porch is filled with people night and day smoking and drinking. Having said ALL that, I actually would have still given it 3 stars because:
1) the beach is right there and it is a beautiful one at that...no crowds, even on the weekends (as a matter of fact, that's where The Borgata beach bus goes...).
2) the staff is super friendly, really helpful.
3) Brigantine is one of my favorite places. It's just really a simple beach, small town.

However, the 2 star is there because no matter how many things I can forgive about the hotel, the noise from the bar is quite loud (I live in Manhattan so it takes a lot of noise to make me say this...) on the weekend, which ruins the relaxation factor of being right on the beach. However, I could forgive the noise. The thing I can't forgive is THE PARKING. There is no parking whatsoever. Between the beach and the restaurant, they can't reserve any spaces for the guests of the hotel. No one wants to be in the middle of nowhere NJ and worry about leaving the hotel because they may not get a space when they return. On the weekends during the day it gets so out of control with people parking for the beach (claiming that they are going to the restaurant/bar) that makeshift valets hang out in the lot and are given cash in order to get a spot. Cars are back-to-back-to-back. It's ludicrous.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank namila

Travelers are raving about these Brigantine hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

First impressions... An extra fee because of "amenities" - coffee in the lobby and access to a printer (no internet in the room). No number on the door of the room. The door looks like it's been forced open in the past. The closet door won't stay closed and is blocking the way in. The room looks OK for a two star motel. Awakened at 2AM by yelling outside of the closed fifth floor window. The place looks nicer in the morning with the ocean outside. Awakened the next night at 1AM by yelling. I complained to the front desk twice, also mentioning tje cars parked in the fire lane. It's 2:30. They're still yelling.

• Stayed October 2011
5 Thank Qwertyvt
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

We are condo owners and stayed in the villas. Clean, nice 1 bedroom. You can see the ocean from balcony but it is not a full front view--nice though. You didn't have to strain your neck at all. The hotel is undergoing some updating. We fished and it was an easy walk back and forth.

FRIENDLY. The people are very nice. The town was fun to bike and explore. With only six square miles you won't get lost.

Beaches and views well worth the trip.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank davidiane
New York City NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

My friend and I reserved one room each in the "Villas" building because we were told these rooms have balconies with ocean views. We love to have breakfast on a balcony looking at the sea, in a hotel on the beach.

First, in the villas, which is one building, all the rooms do have balconies, but they are ALL at right angles to the ocean, so one has to sit at the narrow side of the balcony to see the beach and ocean. What a drag.

Second there is an unpleasant chemical smell that permeates the rooms and the whole Villas building.

Third, the first evening we planned to have dinner and bring down the carts we used for our luggage before we left for dinner. My friend brought hers down to the entry level right away. When I tried to bring mine down, the elevators were not working, so I brought mine back to my room and we walked down very musty stairs. Two hours later I returned to my room to see that my cart had been returned to the lobby. I assumed housekeeping had done that. Each room has a unique card that gets swiped in front of a big scanner button.

The nect morning my friend discovered that her GPS unit (Tom Tom) was missing from her dresser drawer. We reported it at once, and figured out that whoever had come to my room for the cart must have looked in her room, and while there, committed the theft. The front desk just listened to the report passively. As we were leaving for the day's activities, we said that if the GPS were returned before we came back, we would not press charges.

We returned and some time later the manager "interrogated" the scanners in front of our doors, and we heard no more. My friend finally found her anger, after the shock, and called the police, and someone came, took the information, and we followed up in person later that evening at the station.

Eventually the manager expressed his regret for the incident, and only as we prepared to leave a day early (no refund; we paid in advance) did he offer to compensate my friend for the Tom Tom, which he did.

We think that even without the theft we would never return because the balconies do not really face the beach, and the smell.

Room Tip: We saw that in the main building, which is very high, there is a "penthouse" level, and tw...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank ArtistEl
Northern New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

My family and I went for 5 days third week of August and we loved it. We had the one bedroom suite with a king bed in bedroom and pull out couch for the kids as there was four of us. We had suite 301 that had a great view of the ocean. This place is literally steps away from the beach. I search everywhere down the shore and this was the best price. You must keep in mind that this is an older hotel and has been redone but not totally. The staff is fantastic! We had a few issues when we arrived. The bathroom door did not close and a buner on the stove was not working but in five minutes someone came and all was fixed. They do not do room clean up on a daily basis, but they do what is called a towel exchange and on the floor you drop your trash off daily. That was fine for us as we saved alot of money per night by doing a simple few things. You can have daily service for a fee. The best thing I can say is we were there right before the hurricane Irene and we had to evacuate early. I prepaid in full and they actually refunded me a day even though we left at 10:00 PM that night and would have had to check out 10:00 am the next morning. That is class and we did not expect it!!! They have a very nice indoor pool also. No gym however. We will go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank weezie7356
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2011

I just got back and was pleasantly surprised. I told a friend that I was going here and said it was a mistake. That when he was here 4 years ago it was run down and they left after 1 night. Well they renovated a couple of years ago. I did not tell my wife that story before we got there because she would not want to go. When she arrived she said it looks like the Tower of Terror at Disney but it was not when you got inside.
I can't speak for all rooms but our room was very nice.
To me this place is a No brainer.. Location - On the beach ,Price -Good, Indoor Pool.
Th staff was nice. My ONLY knock. The restaurant attached LAGuna Grill Has Latino
on Thusdays and you could hear people in the Parking lot till 3:30 at night. Friday was quiet
If you have young kids I would also recomend going to the AC Aqurium, call for feeding times.
Place to eat Andre's is about 1/2 blocks away. It is good but brings coupons or it is expensive. BYOB

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank Steve1D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brigantine
La Sammana Resort
Resorts Casino Hotel
#4 of 50 in Atlantic City
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,182 reviews
Dolce Stockton Seaview Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Legacy Vacation Resorts-Brigantine Beach? Share your experiences!