“The worst traveling experience I have ever had”
Review of The Sea Gull

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Brigantine
The Sea Gull
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Brigantine
Reading
“The worst traveling experience I have ever had”
Reviewed July 26, 2010

This hotel was by far the most disgusting place I have ever paid money for in my entire life. We checked in at 3 and checked out at 4. Sally is old and grouchy and gave us a hard time about checking out, but you must be stern with her as a paying customer. There were three dead flies on the floor and a spider weaving a web in the corner. I told her this and her reply was "well its that season hunny..at least it ain't a roach." Oh and did i mention that the room was $200/night? This was absurd. DO NOT GO HERE AND DO NOT GIVE HER YOUR SERVICE OR MONEY!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank nealfessler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 26, 2010

I had written a post previously regarding The Sea Gull. I feel obligated to update that post.

We were there this past week and our experience was very poor. I have always liked Sally - she is quirky but I do like her. This time though she seemed to be annoyed that we just walked in without a reservation - she quoted the price for the only room she had left on the 2nd floor $200 plus taxes. I was told that there was no a/c available and the phones were not working . . . we took the room wanting to be on the beach.

The kitchen was dirty with spaghetti strands still on the range. Not sure the bath had been cleaned. There was dust on the closet doors that I think has accumulated for the past few years. The sheets and pillow cases smelled like cigarette smoke . . . .

We had to ask for different towels because the ones we were given were like tea towels. We were given four large sufficient towels but I am not sure they were ever washed after being purchased.

We were told by Sally that if the beach patrol asked for beach tags just tell them we were staying at The Sea Gull and we could come back and get them - of course we were asked about the tags and when we told the patrol what Sally said they told us she hasn't bought any bulk tags at all and other people from the Sea Gull have given them the same story.

When we got back we decided to sleep on the pull out closest to the screen to get the breeze (no ac) it was very old and dirty - we actually went out to buy our own sheets and pillow cases -better than what was offered. The sofa bed was very uncomfortable. We decided to watch tv and the signal was not coming in very strong - there was a big storm the night before.

We heard someone at the door in the front part of our room - then we heard the door open and close. Very strange.

15 minutes later same thing and then a guy closed it and called in to see if we were waiting for the portable ac - it was after 10 pm!!!!

That was the end of that - we packed up and left.

We did stop at the office to drop off the key - at 10:30p, Sally was still in the office working. I was very annoyed with the entire situation. In Sally's defense she did apologize sincerely and did not charge us.

I wish they would just update the hotel with some clean sheets, towels, linens - get some new mattresses. I feel as though Sally is overwhelmed and could use some help. Maybe she has been doing this too long now.

I wish her and the Sea Gull well and if they clean it up and update the hotel we might go back. Until then . . . sadly, we cannot go back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LinnyR

Travelers are raving about these Brigantine hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 20, 2010

All the other reviewers are absolutely right about this place being a dump. Any good reviews about this place are written by the staff or someone they paid.

The woman called Sally is an old and bitter woman, who is constantly in a bad mood. You cann't complain to her about anything, because if you do, she'll get pissed and tell you it's your fault. The rooms are filthy and tacky and filled with OLD OLD stuff. The lobby and common areas reek of cigarettes and booze.

trust me on this, as I lived there for a whole summer once. The owner will ruin your trip and charge you outrageous fees. Yeah, it's on the beach, but you can easily just park in the parking lot and go to the beach for the day. It's never crowded, the lot, which should tell you something. There's a reason no cars are there. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank lovisgroov
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I wish that I could say that this was a nice, enjoyable stay but it wasn't. Due to having a dog, I was limited in the places to chose from in the area. From the moment I walked in, the entire lobby lingered with cigarette smoke which I am allergic to. The lady behind the counter was quite short with me but very receptive to my male colleague. The towels smelled of cigarette smoke, the room had 1970's furniture and carpet inside with dirty sheets and bugs crawling over the walls. Did not have any amenities. Zero WIFI! Zero coffee maker, zero hair dryer, zero microwave. The place is located on the beach with a sand dune to block your view, if you're on the first floor. The concrete patio does not allow you to leave the hotel from your room, you must go back outside through the smoke-filled lobby or through the back of the hotel where there are bags upon bags of garbage that need to be taken out. (didn't understand that). There are 2 positives about the place: They take animals of all sizes for a $75 non-refundable pet fee and they are located by the beach. It was $150 per night plus the $75 flat pet fee.
Word to the wise, bring your own towels & sheets. I wish they would do something to upgrade their hotel for fear of them having to sell it to a big Condo company as I think it's the only hotel left on the beach side--everything else appeared to be condos or beach houses.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank iadviseU
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 5, 2010

This is a belated review, but I was glad I found this place last August. Spacious, clean rooms ON the beach, comfortable beds, full kitchen including stove, oven, microwave and coffee maker (all worked fine), TVs, WiFi on the deck, balcony looking out over the ocean, and walk right over the dune to the a clean, quiet beach without having to lug stuff or fight for parking, all at a reasonable price for a NJ beach hotel. Nice owner and staff, and friendly clientele in a quiet friendly island community.

So the furnishings are original 70s, but they're sound and mostly in pretty good shape. Some boutique hotels would kill for some of this stuff and call it "Retro Chic!" And so my towels didn't all match, but they were very clean, as was the bedding. I usually bring my own hairdryer and shampoo anyway, so no big deal if they weren't provided. I had a tile come loose in my bathroom, and the maintenance man was there within minutes to fix it--neatly, competently and properly.

This place is privately owned by someone who has obviously loved the place for years. How many places can you say that about these days? What she probably doesn't like are people who want the Ritz at Motel 6 prices and then gripe about everything anyway. I'd also bet the state's hotel taxes are killer...gotta be tough on a sole proprietor. Sure she's a bit eccentric, but pleasantly so, and don't underestimate her intelligence.

You can't compare Brigantine to Atlantic City. It's apples and oranges. Atlantic City's beaches are dirty, crowded, and don't take any valuables. Their "room rates" are geared to get you in so that you'll burn at least hundreds of dollars more on the casino floor each night. Have you checked the rates for AC hotels actually ON the beach (and then there's the busy boardwalk, the crowds, the bums, the panhandlers, the litter)?

If you know what to expect, that the furnishings are older, then you will be quite satisfied. This is the good old-fashioned seashore, with sun and sand and ocean breezes, and little community shops and ice cream parlors. But if you want a glitzy luxurious hot spot, go to A.C. It's right across the bridge.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
New Hampshire
Reviewed October 24, 2009

Ten minutes from the Atlantic City casinos, but a world away. The hotel is modern, quirky and out of time, like stepping into Paris of 1938 with James Cagney sitting in the shaddows. We were welcomed with engaging conversation and adoration for our Yorkie by the hostess/hosteler and her staff. The other guests were friendly, the views superb, the ocean just across the dunes, and a street side patio for an afternoon snack. Go expecting to relax.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
nj
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Nice ocean view, rooms are in disrepair. Would not return.
The two ladies the operate the motel were very nice to us.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brigantine
La Sammana Resort
Bally's Atlantic City
Bally's Atlantic City
#6 of 49 in Atlantic City
The Claridge - a Radisson Hotel

Been to The Sea Gull? Share your experiences!