“Belated but necessary”
Review of The Sea Gull

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Brigantine
The Sea Gull
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Brigantine
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I just came on TA to look at Brigantine accommodations for a trip to visit family and came across the Sea Gull. I had to post. My husband, infant daughter and I stayed there about 3 years ago. All of the horrid reviews you have read are absolutely true. People are not exaggerating about the stench, dirt, disrepair and the place looking creepy. The rooms have cinderblock walls, the furniture is 1955 patio, the hallways are dark---I could go on. But just pass over this place. We checked in about 9:30 pm and at 10:30, I went down to LaSamanna to get a room. We really are perplexed that anyone could write a good review. We are also wondering how the Board of Health hasn't condemned this place yet. Stay away.

Room Tip: Anywhere but here
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank floridayze
There are newer reviews for The Sea Gull

Reviewed January 2, 2012

You can feel the warmth and vintage charm upon entering The Sea Gull. It seems to have an old Spanish Style to the architecture. The beds are extremely comfy, the showers are hot, and the rooms are cozy. Sally the owner is warm and welcoming, and very very helpful. The gorgeous ocean views from the balcony are breathtaking! The prices are the Best in town!!

Room Tip: www.the-sea-gull.com, and theseagull@facebook.com
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Chris R
Reviewed May 26, 2011

It really made me sad to see it decline to this state over the past 30 years. The only thing it has going for it still is the beach front location. I pray some entrepreneur will read this review and purchase, restore and reopen this hotel to match it's former glory days!
Very dirty hotel now, and the owner accepts all pets. The rooms are large, studio apt. sized and each has a beautiful view of the ocean. Shopping and dining within walking distance are available also.

Room Tip: insist on maid service daily
Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank RBHebert
Reviewed August 4, 2010

The Sea Gull was the most disgusting place my wife and I ever stayed. We only last 1 night out of a planned 3-night stay and our brain-dead host/owner "Sally" acted like she just polished off a fifth of cheap vodka.

Checking in (we were the only ones doing so!) took 40 minutes and involved lots of scribbling by Sally. No computer, no charge card reader, just blithering Sally.

After charging us up front for our entire stay ($300+ a night! all in), we were aghast when she showed us the room. It was 1955 vintage. The a/c didn't work nor did the TV's. After rejecting that room, she hesitatingly moved us to another room, which was adjacent to a room apparently occupied by a corpse.

The new room looked better at first glance, but reeked of cigarettes and mold.

Yes, the long, cinder-blocked lined room has a great view of the ocean, but you guests should be given a blindfold and gas mask to cover the smell of cigarettes, old booze, urine and vomit.

This hotel should be condemned and it's owner should be sent to an aslyum.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Brady6
Reviewed July 26, 2010

This hotel was by far the most disgusting place I have ever paid money for in my entire life. We checked in at 3 and checked out at 4. Sally is old and grouchy and gave us a hard time about checking out, but you must be stern with her as a paying customer. There were three dead flies on the floor and a spider weaving a web in the corner. I told her this and her reply was "well its that season hunny..at least it ain't a roach." Oh and did i mention that the room was $200/night? This was absurd. DO NOT GO HERE AND DO NOT GIVE HER YOUR SERVICE OR MONEY!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank nealfessler
Reviewed June 26, 2010

I had written a post previously regarding The Sea Gull. I feel obligated to update that post.

We were there this past week and our experience was very poor. I have always liked Sally - she is quirky but I do like her. This time though she seemed to be annoyed that we just walked in without a reservation - she quoted the price for the only room she had left on the 2nd floor $200 plus taxes. I was told that there was no a/c available and the phones were not working . . . we took the room wanting to be on the beach.

The kitchen was dirty with spaghetti strands still on the range. Not sure the bath had been cleaned. There was dust on the closet doors that I think has accumulated for the past few years. The sheets and pillow cases smelled like cigarette smoke . . . .

We had to ask for different towels because the ones we were given were like tea towels. We were given four large sufficient towels but I am not sure they were ever washed after being purchased.

We were told by Sally that if the beach patrol asked for beach tags just tell them we were staying at The Sea Gull and we could come back and get them - of course we were asked about the tags and when we told the patrol what Sally said they told us she hasn't bought any bulk tags at all and other people from the Sea Gull have given them the same story.

When we got back we decided to sleep on the pull out closest to the screen to get the breeze (no ac) it was very old and dirty - we actually went out to buy our own sheets and pillow cases -better than what was offered. The sofa bed was very uncomfortable. We decided to watch tv and the signal was not coming in very strong - there was a big storm the night before.

We heard someone at the door in the front part of our room - then we heard the door open and close. Very strange.

15 minutes later same thing and then a guy closed it and called in to see if we were waiting for the portable ac - it was after 10 pm!!!!

That was the end of that - we packed up and left.

We did stop at the office to drop off the key - at 10:30p, Sally was still in the office working. I was very annoyed with the entire situation. In Sally's defense she did apologize sincerely and did not charge us.

I wish they would just update the hotel with some clean sheets, towels, linens - get some new mattresses. I feel as though Sally is overwhelmed and could use some help. Maybe she has been doing this too long now.

I wish her and the Sea Gull well and if they clean it up and update the hotel we might go back. Until then . . . sadly, we cannot go back.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LinnyR
Reviewed June 20, 2010

All the other reviewers are absolutely right about this place being a dump. Any good reviews about this place are written by the staff or someone they paid.

The woman called Sally is an old and bitter woman, who is constantly in a bad mood. You cann't complain to her about anything, because if you do, she'll get pissed and tell you it's your fault. The rooms are filthy and tacky and filled with OLD OLD stuff. The lobby and common areas reek of cigarettes and booze.

trust me on this, as I lived there for a whole summer once. The owner will ruin your trip and charge you outrageous fees. Yeah, it's on the beach, but you can easily just park in the parking lot and go to the beach for the day. It's never crowded, the lot, which should tell you something. There's a reason no cars are there. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank lovisgroov
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brigantine
La Sammana Resort
Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
#1 of 49 in Atlantic City
Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel
The Claridge - a Radisson Hotel

Been to The Sea Gull? Share your experiences!