“Pretty View, not so great food”
Review of River House

River House
Ranked #6 of 22 Restaurants in Brielle
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant with a great location.
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Go here for the view and atmosphere, not the food. We went here for a late lunch on a beautiful September Saturday and after a day walking around several beach towns we had worked up an appetite. We were a party of 9 and decided to order a couple of appetizers to share & soups first. The french onion soup arrived and it looked perfect but after I tried one taste,I knew of the french onion soup that everything that followed would be average at best. The soup was very bland, almost a watered down broth flavor. Someone else in out group ordered the soup of the day which was a corn & lobster chowder and it was very bland also, salt & pepper didn't really help it. The nacho appetizer was average at best, just some colored store bought nachos with a pile of chili, cheese and jalapenos on top, nothing special about it. The calamari was tasteless and chewy and it came with a plastic cup of marinara sauce that was equally as blah. The entrees were much of the same. I ordered the special which was a lobster and crab quesadilla for $16. It was a very large portion but much of the filling was peppers and onions. The guacamole that was served on the side was not fresh but rather squeezed from a tube and had a fake taste to it. I brought half home to my son and he usually likes everything and did not care for this either. The grouper sandwiches would have been okay but they put so many toppings on them that it drowned out the flavor of the grouper. The turkey wraps were ok, just turkey, lettuce and tomato wrapped in a tortilla, and the chicken sandwich was ok. The french fries were very good and the onion rings were pretty good if you like beer batter. I would not order food here again, but it would be a very nice place to go for cocktails at sunset before going somewhere else for dinner.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

The place looks nice, but, cold food that was microwaved hot,blackened food full of spices, shrimp cocktail sauce made of tomato paste only. The worst restaurant that I have ever encountered on the jersey shore. Stay away

1  Thank james c
Reviewed May 29, 2013

an outside ding area with a view and a beachy feel. River House was perfect. You cant beat the view of the Manasquan Inlet and the boats at the marina. The food was better than average and there were plenty of choices.

I enjoyed the crab cake appetizer and mozzarella with arugula as a meal. we also had a seafood dish, burger, turkey sandwich and soup at the table and there were nothing but smiling faces.

The bloody mary was below average....but it hit the spot. And the sun and view in combo with the meal made my day!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We enjoyed drinks and music on the patio but dinner was just ok. Standard fare and service was friendly but just ok. We will go back for the outdoor "atmosphere" and music.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've been going to this place all my life even though I no longer live in the area. The most recent visit was to the outside deck for drinks and food in late afternoon/early evening. The view all the way to the inlet overlooking the marina and railroad bridge are still as spectacular as ever. The views are better here than next door at Union Landing or The Sand Bar.

Although the deck seating and bar were very busy when we were there, there is still a feeling of calmness.Service was attentive without being pushy, which was just what we wanted. We ordered numerous dishes that we placed in the center of the table and we all shared. All were very good. I especially enjoyed the crab and lobster spring rolls which were full of seafood and light on the the usual "grass" filling. The smoked salmon sashimi was top quality. All of the other items were also tasty and high quality. Everyone liked everything. Drinks are not skimpy in size and there is a list a mile long of high end brands to choose from.

All in all a really nice way to spend several hours. On previous visits we had our engagement party in the upstairs room looking out over the river views and have enjoyed many a fine meal in the indoor downstairs, more formal, dining room. All around, a very good place. Prices are neither high nor low and very good quality is provided for the amount charged. Looking forward to going back again soon. It was too long since our last visit.

1  Thank desiwood