“Don't know what others are sayinh”
Review of Gallop Asian Bistro - CLOSED

Gallop Asian Bistro
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Don't know what others are sayinh”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I really enjoyed it the last couple of times I went there. The food is good, service was decent, the decor is excellent. I recommend this Chinese/ Japanese restaurant.

• Visited January 2014

New Jersey
“Great selection and well prepared”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We normally go to either a sushi restaurant or Thai restaurant when we want Asian food. We rarely go to Chinese restaurants anymore because most of them are mediocre and put a lot of msg in the foods. But we decided to give Gallop a try for lunch the other day and it was right on the way to where we were going. We both had a lunch special and both were very good with ample portions. And thankfully did not have msg, or if it did it was minimal. The other night we went back to try the sushi. We had a variety of rolls, all of which were very good and rival the best of the places around that only serve sushi. The service was very good. Anxious to go back and try offerings from the traditional menu.

• Visited February 2014
New Jersey
“Happy Horse Feather’s Day”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My wife and I dined out on Valentine’s Day looking for a nice experience at a relatively new place. Note this is a BYOB place so be prepared before you arrive. The Hostess who greeted us was nice but didn't speak much English. I had reservations thinking we would get a nice table for two in the modern looking main restaurant but instead were taken to the back banquet room which was not romantic at all. There was a significant Asian presence so we were excited about getting some great ethnic food. Quickly we found that the low ceilings create a very noisy dining experience. To add to the negative we had a very active table with young children right next to us who were literally hanging around our table. The service was slow, inattentive and our waiter was not up on the menu items leading to confusion when we ordered. Interesting that we asked for lemon in our water and they did not have any.

As we sat and waited for our food we also noticed other tables waiting for their food which was coming out partially. The dishes looked very good from afar especially one table that had a large bowl that was being shared by a couple complete with long noodles. That same table later on was served another bowl and then when they went to eat it the waiter took it away, looked around and brought it back! They were stunned and speech less.

Appetizers
Avocado salad ($5) – There was no zip with what tasted like watered down French dressing. It included Julienne cut cucumbers and was average at best. The California roll ($5.50) was average and the Spicy tuna roll ($6.50) was nothing special with only two of the six rolls being spicy. The Dry Fried String Beans ($11) were very good, being the best of the appetizers. They were very tasty, not over salted, not too crisp or too soggy. Note that this is a main dish and not the string beans on the appetizer list.

Entrees
I had the Mongolian beef ($16) and my wife the Moo Goo Gai Pan ($13). The beef was tender but could have used some zip. There were a lot of onions with some scallions and mushrooms, overall a bit oily. The Moo Goo Gai Pan had a significant amount of boneless chicken but it was not overly tender. Both dishes were above average. After some closing discussion with the waiter we were told by him that the “real” food is on the traditional menu! Horse feathers for telling us after we ate! I will not come back for the main menu but might be intrigued to give it one more shot for the traditional menu.

• Visited February 2014
“Exquisite!”
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

So I was recommended to come to this place by my brother we live in NJ and are in constant search for authentic Chinese food. Sure they have your typical American style pan Asian, but we found some real gems and authentic dishes which were not on the big menu.

Try the sautéed string beans which are so flavorful that you just can't stop eating them!

Dan Dan noodles ... omg! Delicious!

Vegetables and pork belly were amazing.

I would like to see this place get more business it's a wonderful spot beautifully decorated inside. With a great ambiance for a family or party.

I do have to mention i gave it four stars because of one waiter in particular, were waited on by a few people. The Asian hostess was a doll, sweet and sincere. The younger male waiter with glasses not so much..... I felt like he tried so hard that it bordered on annoying.

If you get the chance and want some spicy authentic food from chengdu or Malaysia speak to the chefs they will tell you about the cuisine and items that are not on the menu. They recommended some items because they are authentic and exquisite to taste! Don't miss out and try this place!

1 Thank TMFreckles
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We decided to go out to dinner on New Year's Eve and chose to try Gallop. This is a relatively new restaurant in a location that has had many different types of restaurants. I hope Gallop "makes it" in this location as we were delighted with our dining experience. The staff was polite and attentive and the decor was comfortable and modern. The food was delicious. Part of our dining party ordered a variety of sushi rolls and were satisfied with each one. I ordered the kung pow chicken and was happy to see some red peppers which provided a good amount of heat to my meal. I recommend Gallop and will return again.

• Visited December 2013