“2-night business trip”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Bridgewater
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“2-night business trip”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Nice hotel in a good location opposite the mall. Good rooms but additional charge for internet when on business is not ideal.

Breakfast is not buffet style, but good and staff are attentive.

Rooms to the usual standard and very clean. Bath plug didn't work but I was moved into another room where it did.

Helpful front desk staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Eric C, Guest Services Specialist at Bridgewater Marriott, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback! It’s great to see that you enjoyed your room and the attractions surrounding our hotel. In addition to the Bridgewater Commons mall, there are also many fantastic dining options in the immediate area—with cuisine for every palette and occasion. Our front desk staff would be happy to assist you with local recommendations!

I also want to thank you for your patience when the bath plug didn’t work and apologize for the inconvenience. It can be very frustrating to change rooms once you have settled in, but I’m glad that we were able to find a room that satisfied your expectations!

Thank you again for staying with us and writing this review. We look forward to hosting your next stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The room was great but was expecting FREE internet service which was not available. We were only there for one night but I was disappointed that there was no FREE internet service. The room was very clean, the bathroom was well stocked and the bed was very comfortable. Although we were in a wedding block of rooms there was no sort of breakfast provided other than the standard restaurant.

Room Tip: Wireless access is NOT FREE
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CharlotteFrank
Eric C, Guest Services Specialist at Bridgewater Marriott, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback! I’m pleased to see that you found our accommodations comfortable during your stay for the wedding. As you mentioned, there is a fee for WiFi access in the guest rooms, however we are proud to offer complimentary WiFi access to all of our guests in the lobby.

As you were with a wedding room block, any breakfast offerings outside of the breakfast provided by our restaurant would have been at the discretion of the group contact who arranged the room block. For weddings, this usually means it is the bride & groom’s choice of whether or not to offer a complimentary breakfast gathering to their guests.

Thank you again for the feedback; we truly appreciate your thoughts about your stay. We look forward to building on the feedback you’ve provided to make your next stay even better.
arkansas
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed here for 2 weeks and it was great. The rooms were in great condition, clean, and have a thermostat to control the temp. The beds were comfortable and clean. Veronica was the room attendant and she was great. She made sure that I was we'll taken care of during the extended stay. The front office staff were always helpful and very friendly. THe workout room was very big. It had 4 elliptically, 2 stationary bikes and about 5 treadmills. It also had a weight circuit, free weights, and tvs on most of the machines. The hotel is located about 10 minutes walk to a huge 3 level mall, with some great stores, restaurants, and a movie theatre. Great location, great staff, and close to a lot of different things. The restaurant in the hotel (TBones) is very good, but it is a steakhouse so expect to pay 30 to 40 for a meal per person
The drawback, is that it does not have a fridge in the room. There are ice machines though.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Eric C, Guest Services Specialist at Bridgewater Marriott, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and writing this review. I’m thrilled to see that you were able to enjoy much of what our hotel has to offer and that we could meet your expectations. I will be passing along your comments to Veronica in housekeeping, who I’m sure will greatly appreciate your kindness! Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to our next opportunity to host you.
Naples, Florida
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Shocked to learn that the Bridgewater Marriott charged for Internet access and had no complimentary coffee in the morning. The local owner/manager is stuck in the 1980s! The hotel location is outstanding but the owner/manager has displayed a cheap policy not at the level one would expect.

Stayed September 2013
2 Thank foodmaven92
Eric C, Guest Services Specialist at Bridgewater Marriott, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear that our amenities did not meet your expectations. We do offer amenities comparable to other full-service hotels, including complimentary WiFi in the lobby and complimentary coffee in all guest rooms for your enjoyment. Thank you again for your valuable feedback. We take your observations seriously and will continue to look into ways to provide the best possible value for all of our guests.
bay area
Reviewed October 2, 2013

If you are visiting any of the nearby pharma companies then this is a perfect place. Parking is free and there are many places to eat close by including a mall. Room was perfect with a good view. No complaints whatsoever. It may be a little difficult for your GPS to find it for some reason.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF YOU ARE USING APPLE MAPS TO GET HERE. I GOT LOST A COUPLE OF TIMES AND ENDED UP ON THE FREEWAY NEXT TO THE HOTEL WHEN MY IPHONE SAID "You have arrived".

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Eric C, Guest Services Specialist at Bridgewater Marriott, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and writing this review! It is our pleasure to serve many guests working within the pharmaceutical industry, and I’m glad you found our location comfortable and convenient for your business travel needs. The area is near to several intersecting main roads, which may have caused the GPS some difficulty, but I am glad you were able to find us safely! Thank you again for staying with us, and we look forward to hosting you again soon.
WORCESTER
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was my second time at this hotel, both work trips. Check in was easy, the room was clean and fresh. My bed was comfortable and the linen was nice quality. The workout facility and pool were both nice. Not a huge pool but seemed to be well maintained. The restaurant in the lobby, T-Bones is nice, great food and a really nice wine selection. The bar, Martini's, was nice too. They have a small convenience shop. Check out was also easy. I do like this hotel.

I had 3 minor issues in my room that I wanted to note for other travelers.
1. The plugs at the nightstand were used for the lamps. I had to plug in my phone charger behind a chair and I was afraid I would forget it at the end of the week, luckily I didn't.
2. Like another guest wrote, I was put off by the maid tip envelope. I too usually leave a tip but the envelope bothered me.
3. I don't like to have my room made up every day. I personally feel it is a waste of resources and I leave the do not disturb notice on my door. Every day I did this I had a message that told me they saw the notice and did not do anything but if I wanted towels or something to let them know. At the end of a long day I really didn't want to be logging onto the phone service just to get a message over and over again and if I didn't get the message I couldn't get rid of the blinking light. Wouldn't it be easier for them to just leave a sticky note on my door?

Room Tip: A portion of the rooms overlook a small highway, if you are a light sleeper ask to be away from the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Eric C, Guest Services Specialist at Bridgewater Marriott, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! Our staff will be thrilled to read your kind words about our hotel and further motivated to exceed your expectations.

I would also like to thank you for your critique of the rooms and apologize that the outlets in your room were insufficient for your use and that the envelope was bothersome. I assure you that the envelope is there solely for the security and satisfaction of our guests—to ensure that there can be no mishaps of housekeepers accidentally taking a guest’s loose or unmarked money, thinking it was a tip. If there is any way we can make this practice more comfortable—or if you think this practice should simply be eliminated—I would love to hear your thoughts so we can find a better solution for all of our guests!

Your point about the inconvenience of receiving a message each time your “Do Not Disturb” notice was honored is one that makes great sense, especially after a long day. We want you to be comfortable; not be given another task to take care of. As a hotel we will be meeting to discuss alternatives that are more convenient while still assuring our guests that we are at their service.

Thank you again for staying with us and writing this review. We look forward to hosting you again!
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have been traveling all over the world for business and I am a Platinum member of Marriott for at least 10+ years straight. While I'm working in my hotel room, I noticed an envelope that has a 3-paragraph printed on the front with a space to put the housekeeper's name. This is the first time that I have seen such manufactured envelope. It almost looks like a donation envelope that the Catholic church sends out to their parishioners. The printing states:

"We hope that everything done for you has met with your satisfaction. Your housekeeper has tried to make sure your stay with us as pleasant as possible. If there is something we can do to make your stay even more pleasant, please let us know. We are providing you this envelope for you to leave something for your housekeeper's efforts if you choose to. Please come back and stay with us again soon. It has been our pleasure to have you as our guest... The Management. "

As my normal practice, I leave some tips to the housekeeper when I check out. Normally $5-20 dependent on the duration of my stay. But seeing this envelope, I find it offensively pushy from the management side. Of all the hotels I've stayed domestically and globally, this is the first time I've seen an envelope like this with the printed writing. I've seen friendly notes from the housekeeper wishing me a pleasant stay or just some nice touches by noticing how I placed my toiletries or pillows and running shoes. But envelope like this is way too much. Is this where the trend is going with the hospitality business? Next thing you know they are going to put tip jars at the front desk. I hope not. I expect the hospitality industry to stick with the status quo and let their guests propagate the message that it is nice to give a tip to housekeeping since they are underpaid and do a great job setting up your room. But don't put it in our face. That's too much.

I do like staying in this hotel and will continue staying here during my business trips. But please try not to be aggressive with your management practice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Eric C, Guest Services Specialist at Bridgewater Marriott, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback and for being one of our Platinum members—we truly appreciate your loyalty. I also want to thank you for your thoughtful comments about the envelope in your room. We never want to make our guests feel anything but comfortable, and if the envelopes felt “pushy” or in any way insincere of the type of hospitality we strive to provide, I apologize for that. I would like to take a moment to explain the intent behind those envelopes, in hopes that this might change your view on them; but if not, I would be happy to speak with you personally about any suggestions you might have to improve our practices.

We provide the envelopes in the guest rooms to address an issue often raised by guests: How can we ensure that, if a guest chooses to leave a tip out of their own generosity and volition, the housekeeper knows it is for them and receives it. Often, unmarked money that is left as a tip will not be received by a housekeeper, because they cannot be sure if it is intended for them. To the housekeeper, that unmarked money may have been a guest’s loose change that was either left lying out or perhaps had fallen out of their pocket/purse/etc.

The envelopes are designed to remedy this by providing a mutually agreed-upon site where the housekeeper can be sure it is safe to receive from—thus ensuring the security of our guests’ belongings in their room and satisfying our guests’ desire to know that their generous tips are received. We do try and make clear in the text on the envelopes that it is only “if you choose to” leave any kind of tip, but I can certainly understand how the envelopes might be seen in a different light. We will continue to consider different ways of addressing this complex issue to satisfy our guests.

I want to thank you again deeply for raising this concern to us, and for staying with us. I assure you that our brand of genuine hospitality will remain intact well into the future, as we strive to improve how we host our guests each day. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns, and we look forward to hosting you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgewater
Hilton Garden Inn Bridgewater
#1 of 5 in Branchburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Bridgewater / Branchburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Bridgewater
Residence Inn Bridgewater Branchburg

Been to Bridgewater Marriott? Share your experiences!