“Solid business class hotel, rent a car”

HYATT house Bridgewater
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Bridgewater
Tucson, Arizona
“Solid business class hotel, rent a car”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've been staying at this location (back when it was Summerfield Suites) for a decade, so I already knew not to expect elevators. I choose the property because it's close by to work, features spacious and quiet rooms, offers a decent breakfast including made-to-order omelette, and (theoretically) provides free shuttle service.

On the latter, however, during a three-day stay only ONCE was I able to use the van and the other times had to call a taxi. I realize that some companies put large numbers of employees at the hotel, and this can completely consume the van, but it would be nice to be able to depend a bit more on the service, or tie a shuttle reservation into my booking.

Given the fact that the hotel is not within walking distance of any restaurants, if the shuttle is also not an option, renting a car is the only way to go. Considering this added expense plus the room rate and what you don't get for that, I can't offer better than an average rating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RoverFish
Dontavius R, Manager at HYATT house Bridgewater, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear RoverFish

Thank you for posting your review regarding your experience with our hotel. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any discomfort or inconvenience with our shuttle.

We are working on a way to provide a better service with our complimentary shuttle so that we can maximize the full use of this service for all our guest who may need it. Unfortunately this does take a little time to work out the kinks and to get the wheel turning but we are making progress I can assure you of that. We are in the works to get a brand new van and then adding additional drivers. So please be patient with us while we work on improving all guest experiences.

Again thank you for the rating and hope to see you soon, especially after our renovations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
Oneonta
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I were to spend the weekend in New Jersey while attending a dinner theater at the Hunterdon Hills Playhouse and booked ourselves into the Hyatt House in Bridgewater New Jersey for 2 evenings the weekend of April 5th-6th. We were very pleasantly surprised to find a nicely decorated and contemporary room awaiting for us. Because my wife has trouble walking upstairs at the moment, they were nice enough to accommodate a first floor room for us. The added breakfast added to our overall experience. The hotel was right on Rte 22 and was easy to get to.

Room Tip: When the weather gets nicer they have an outdoor pool. They also have an afternoon free get togethe...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bob and Joan
Dear Bob and Joan:
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write a review here on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

I'm glad we were able to accomodate you and your wife with a ground floor. We do our best to make sure all needs are met.

Again, thank you for the 4 star review and we hope to see you in the summer and don't forget to request a poolside view for easy access to our pool.
Massachusetts
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Once I was in my room, I really liked this place. The suite was large with a full kitchen and seating area, which made it great at the end of the day. There was room to relax, set up the computer and get some work done....all without feeling like I'm spending all of my time on the bed.

If I was just evaluating the room, I would have given this place a higher rating. But, if I look at it from the perspective of the total experience, I had to evaluate it lower.

First, upon checking in after a long day of travel and work I found that my room was all the way in the back of the complex and, oh by the way, there were no elevators. I was mumbling under my breath after hauling myself, a suitcase, computer bag and winter coat up 2 flights of stairs.

Second, the main complex (which contained the breakfast area and exercise facilities) was separated from all of the other buildings and you had to walk outside to get there. One morning, I got up, put on workout clothes and prepared to head out but it was cold and raining. It was not worth it to me to walk from one end of the complex to the other, at 5 in the morning, exposed to the elements, and then back again. I chose not to go. Also, due to construction in the main building, the other entrances were closed, requiring that you walk all the way around to the front - again, outside.

Third, they have a complementary van service which is great. Unfortunately, it is often full or otherwise unavailable at peak times. There were two times where I had to take a cab because the van could not accommodate me. One of the reasons that I stayed there was because of the van service and I was a bit dismayed to then have to take a cab. If the van is that popular during peak hours, get a second one.

And finally, there was one minor technical flaw. While the room had 2 tv's (one in the sitting area and one in the bedroom - a definite plus), the channel line up was different between the two. The one in the bedroom didn't even match the program listing that was left next to the tv. I don't know why that was the case but it was annoying.

Some of these issues are fixable and would definitely improve my overall perception of the facility but the big drawback of the separate buildings would be tough to overcome. Installation of elevators would be a big plus.

Room Tip: If you don't like to haul stuff up stairs, or if you have bad knees, request a room on the first...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank mame90
Dontavius R, Manager at HYATT house Bridgewater, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear mame90,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to offer this will informed and honest feedback. These comments helps us come up with better and more inventive ways to treat all of guest so that their experiences are enjoyable.
I will bring to the attention of our front desk agents to perhaps offer to help with the luggage on a higher floor and if no one is around to offer to keep the luggage until someone has returned and will bring the luggage at that time. This should help alleviate multple trips up and down one or two flights of stairs.
We are in the process of purchasing a new van so that we have to operational vans for our guests to utilize.
These are just a few of the improvements that will take place during and after renovations so we all here, at the Hyatt House, hope you will be able to stay with us again and so that you may have a different total experience.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Hyatt House is an interesting setup. The layout really is more like an apartment/condo setup with separate buildings and a central check-in and eating area.

While this would not have been my first choice, I was traveling on business and had to stay here. The check-in process was smooth, but my first impression was that the lobby was out of date and very "motel" like. It was bitter cold out, so the walk to my room (on the 3rd floor) was not that pleasant. The rooms all face outside, so lights and noise can have an effect.

The rooms themselves were nice. Recently updated, there is a seating area, kitchen and bedroom. Once I kicked the heat up, it was actually quite comfortable. I did not make use of too many things as I was there for a quick overnight. The amenities (shampoo, soap) were sub-par in my opinion.

Up early the next morning and headed back to the main building for breakfast. My first thought was "wow, this would really stink if it was raining out.....". Luckily for me, it was just bitter cold. Breakfast was nothing special at all. In fact, I began to wonder why I (well, my company) was paying $160 for a one night stay. The hot food items were really awful and so I stuck with the fruit (was not fresh), juice, toast and coffee.

Sorry I can't provide a more thorough review, but this was all I could muster up....not very exciting.

Room Tip: If you don't mind climbing a couple flights of stairs, the third floor may be a little quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank technobie
Dontavius R, Manager at HYATT house Bridgewater, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear technobie:

I would like to first thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write this review. Reviews like yours will up future guest understand our layout and accomodations. I'm glad you enjoyed our newly renovationed Suites and I'm also sorry that our new amenities (shampoo, soap) came after your departure. We have also began upgrading our Guest House, aka. lobby, so we can offer our guest the NEW full service H Bar and a new modern look to our decor. We know the first impression can make a difference and after these renovations that will surely be accomplished. Once renovations are completed there will be talks about changing up our breakfast to make it more enjoyable for our guest in the new dining area.
Also please note that if it is ever raining the front desk will have umbrellas for our guest to borrow.

Once again I would like to thank you for staying with us and hope that you will one day decide to return to enjoy our newly renovated hotel.
Washington
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have stayed here while visiting relatives in the area for years. Even with the recent facelift the facilities are only OK and it didn't address the basic structural problems. For instance, you can't use the desk chair in the second bedroom because there isn't enough room to pull it out before hitting the bed and the outside lights are on timers that do not correspond to reality. (This has been a problem on our last two stays. The hotel is often in complete darkness at sunset or sunrise which makes negotiating those steps an issue.)

On the other hand, the rooms are always clean and some of the front desk people are amazing: calm; professional; and willing to assist in any way they can. If you get one of them, your stay will be good-if not, well better luck next time.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank clfamilyindc
Dontavius R, Manager at HYATT house Bridgewater, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear clfamilindc,

Thank you very much for your kind words and 5 star rating from your recent stay with us.. All of the front desk staff are terrific and inspires all of the other departments to do their best with every guest, every day. I will be sure to notify our Cheif Engineer about the lightning. Thanks you again for your acknowledgement of jobs well done by our team. I hope you will be our guest and let us serve you here again soon.
Massapequa Park, New York
Reviewed December 30, 2012

The rooms were clean large and comfortable. The front desk personnel were professional and friendly. Why did I give it 3 stars? The hotel is made up of separate 3 floor buildings which makes it look like a condo complex. So far so good. The problem is there are no elevators so anyone on the 2nd or 3rd floor must climb up wooden stairs. I was on the ground floor furthest buliding and learned quickly that people dragging luggage up and down stairs make a lot of noise. If you wanted to go the gym/ breakfast dining area I had to walk a city block outside ( cold and raining). The breakfast was not worth the walk through the rain. The location of the hotel is about 2 miles away from the food/shopping areas

Room Tip: 3rd floor should have no stair noise but you have to climb them.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MisterMet
Dontavius R, Manager at HYATT house Bridgewater, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear MisterMet

Thanks you for the comments about your stay. We are glad you enjoyed the amenities and service we provide. We understand your disappointment with the style of the hotel. Some see it as a con rather than a pro wich is completely understandable. I'm sure other guest will appreciate your room tip when staying with us and know that it is 2 flights of stairs they will have to go up for the 3rd floor. I hope the experience hasn't deter you away from staying with us again. Now that you know how the layout is we will be more than happy to honor your request of location. So I trust you will consider giving us another chance.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Going to keep the review as objective as possible:

Pros:

1) Big suites
2) Very good amenities
3) Extremely well equipped kitchen
4) Good parking space

Cons:

1) Really slow internet - you'll get frustrated
2) The in-room printing doesn't work
3) If you don't know printer troubleshooting, you will not be able to print in the business center
4) Very limited breakfast and evening social menu

Like I said, not a place to stay if you're visiting for business but for leisure, it is a good place to stay!

Room Tip: Go for a corner suite on the ground floor - generally bigger and quiter. The hotel does not have ele...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear XtremeTraveller84,

Thank you very much for posting your comments and recommendation about our hotel. Travel can be full of pros and cons. After our renovations we hope to lessen the cons you have listed. We will be relocating and upgrading our business center and with the new H Bar we will be able to provide a little bit more variety. We look forward to our next opportunity to show you how we have made the change to serve you and fellow business travelers here.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgewater
Hilton Garden Inn Bridgewater
#3 of 6 in Bridgewater
Homewood Suites by Hilton Bridgewater / Branchburg
Residence Inn Bridgewater Branchburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Bridgewater Branchburg/Somerville

Been to HYATT house Bridgewater? Share your experiences!